Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > [OT] C90 IDE+compiler for Windows / educational purposes

[OT] C90 IDE+compiler for Windows / educational purposes

Ioannis Vranos

Hi,

Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't work
correctly there.

Any ideas would be welcome.

jacob navia

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
> use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't work
> correctly there.
>
> Any ideas would be welcome.

lcc-win is a C compiler used a lot in universities and educational
settings.

It features
o IDE with windowed debugger

o Compiler assembler, linker, make utility

o Advanced IDE with spelling checker, tooltips, goto definition,
software metrics, grep/search/diff, and many other utilities.

o Small package installs in approx 1 minute.

o Types:
True long double precision
long long type (64 bit integer)
Optional 352 bits float (104 digits)
128 bit integers
All normal types (int,double,float,short, etc)

o Optional extensions like operator overloading/try-catch/ etc.

o Educational licenses available.

If interested contact me below.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

Keith Thompson

Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
> use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't
> work correctly there.
>
> Any ideas would be welcome.

As I recall from discussions here, the problem is an inconsistency
between the compiler and the runtime library regarding the
representation of long double. Either choice would be valid by
itself, but the inconsistency is a bug.

How much of a problem is that really? What if you just avoid the use
of long double in the class?

Nokia

Richard Heathfield

Ioannis Vranos said:

> Hi,
>
> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
> use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't work
> correctly there.

Turbo C is fine, and is available for free download from the Borland museum
site.

BTW welcome back to clc

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

vippstar@gmail.com

On Feb 3, 11:30 pm, Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
> use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't work
> correctly there.

There is no 'long double' in C90.
'long double' was standarised in C99 AFAIK.
Is long double that importand?

Flash Gordon

Ioannis Vranos wrote, On 03/02/08 21:30:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
> use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't work
> correctly there.
>
> Any ideas would be welcome.

Check out the licensing terms on the free versions of MS Visual Studio.

Also, whatever you go for, *please* find out how to put it in to
ISO-conforming mode and start off by teaching standard portable C before
you go on to any non-standard stuff, and when you do the non-standard
stuff let the students know it is non-standard and not portable.
--
Flash Gordon

Richard Heathfield

> On Feb 3, 11:30 pm, Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
>> use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't work
>> correctly there.

> There is no 'long double' in C90.

Rubbish. See (the C90 equivalent of) 3.1.2.5 of C89.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Mark McIntyre

jacob navia wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows for
>> use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double" doesn't
>> work correctly there.
>>
>> Any ideas would be welcome.

> lcc-win is a C compiler used a lot in universities and educational
> settings.

Jacob meant to declare an interest at this point as he is the maintainer
of lcc-win32, and the beneficiary of any commercial license.

For the non-Brits amongst you, "declaring an interest" is what our
elected representatives are supposed to do when a law is under
discussion from which they might financially benefit.

(jacob, two things; 1) this is not an attack on you, its a simple
clarification - so take your paranoid hat off; 2) your new email is in
my killfile so no need to respond).

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

jacob navia

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> jacob navia wrote:
>> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do you know of any decent free simple C90 IDE+compiler for Windows
>>> for use in a classroom? I know Dev-C++/MINGW but "long double"
>>> doesn't work correctly there.
>>>
>>> Any ideas would be welcome.

>> lcc-win is a C compiler used a lot in universities and educational
>> settings.

> Jacob meant to declare an interest at this point as he is the maintainer
> of lcc-win32, and the beneficiary of any commercial license.

Yes. I have been working since 1995 in providing this
compiler to many people and to the C community in
general. This compiler is not supported by any big
institution but by its users: universities,
private people, several companies, and many
other people that contributed to this project.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
logiciels/informatique
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32

jacob navia

Mark McIntyre wrote:
[snip]

2) your new email is in my killfile ...

Your killfile has a bug apparently. If not, how could
you read my answers to posts here?

But obviously you can't write anything without a bug,
not even a killfile!