Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Compiler error

Compiler error

Mark McIntyre

M.Caggiano wrote:
> ---ATTENTION---
> Problem resolved boys!!
> Thanks to everybody.
> Now however I will open a new discussion from the title "Socket: bind
> error...why??"

Open that discussion in comp.unix.programming - sockets aren't part of
the C language and the unix guys know much more about them. If it were
me, I'd check permissions though.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

Richard Heathfield

Mark McIntyre said:

> M.Caggiano wrote:
>> ---ATTENTION---
>> Problem resolved boys!!
>> Thanks to everybody.
>> Now however I will open a new discussion from the title "Socket: bind
>> error...why??"

> Open that discussion in comp.unix.programming

No such group. And, assuming you mean comp.unix.programmer, it's hard to
see how they'd be interested in discussing a Win32 API program.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Robert Latest

M.Caggiano wrote:

> Thank's for your answer.
> This is the c code:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <winsock.h>
> #include <windows.h>

And these few lines are enough to see that what you're having is not really
a C problem but (possibly) a Windows API problem, and is therefore off-topic
in this newsgroup.

Go to a newsgroup concerned with Windows networking programming, where your
question is on-topic. We can't realy help you here.

robert

Mark McIntyre

Richard Heathfield wrote:

No such group.

typo.

>And, assuming you mean comp.unix.programmer, it's hard to
> see how they'd be interested in discussing a Win32 API program.

Huh? The original code was unix sockets stuff.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca.invalid

In article <_76qj.440$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com>,
Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>And, assuming you mean comp.unix.programmer, it's hard to
>> see how they'd be interested in discussing a Win32 API program.

>Huh? The original code was unix sockets stuff.

Quoth the OP in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

--------
This is the c code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <winsock.h>
#include <windows.h>
--------

Looks like Win32 to me.

dave

[O]ne of them said that she figured I was a professional. (Amateur potters
often think this; professionals never make that mistake. As I said, I fit
quite squarely in the intermediate category.) --Moebius Stripper

Walter Roberson

In article <_76qj.440$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com>,
Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Richard Heathfield wrote:

>>And, assuming you mean comp.unix.programmer, it's hard to
>> see how they'd be interested in discussing a Win32 API program.

>Huh? The original code was unix sockets stuff.

Turns out it was Windows sockets instead. They look much like
unix sockets but there are some fine details different.
The original poster posted the file, complete with windows-
specific headers #include'd.
--
"Okay, buzzwords only. Two syllables, tops." -- Laurie Anderson

Richard

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>
> No such group.
>
> typo.
>
>> And, assuming you mean comp.unix.programmer, it's hard to see how
>> they'd be interested in discussing a Win32 API program.

> Huh? The original code was unix sockets stuff.

Nope. So two lessons learnt there about being abrupt with people asking
for help.

Mark McIntyre

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:
> In article <_76qj.440$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com>,
> Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> And, assuming you mean comp.unix.programmer, it's hard to
>>> see how they'd be interested in discussing a Win32 API program.

>> Huh? The original code was unix sockets stuff.

> Quoth the OP in

Yes, but he didn't post this originally - he only did that after I and
others prompted him. The original code merely mentioned a problem with a
file called something like some/folder/socket.o.

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> (E-Mail Removed)lid wrote:

>>> Huh? The original code was unix sockets stuff.

>> Quoth the OP in

> Yes, but he didn't post this originally - he only did that after I and
> others prompted him. The original code merely mentioned a problem with
> a file called something like some/folder/socket.o.

As it happens, the article in which you suggested posting to
comp.unix.programming^H^H^Her was a followup to a followup to an
article in which the OP posted the actual code, which had #include
directives for <windows.h> and <winsock.h>. Traverse up the thread
(if your newsreader supports it) and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not criticizing you for missing that (it's easy enough to assume
that "sockets" must be Unix sockets), but it had already been
established that the program was for Windows.

Nokia