Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "Full screen" = Pan & Scan???

"Full screen" = Pan & Scan???

Bill's News

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yPMpj.16520$(E-Mail Removed)...
> exactly right..............and many these "full screen" things
> also have statements on the box and sometimes at the beginning
> of the feature itself that says the presentation has been
> changes to fit your "4:3" screen, etc..
>
> I go into "withdrawal" when I go home to visit relatives these
> days with my sister and dad actually buying into some flat
> panel LCD (vizios) that are widescreen and they have and still
> buy "full screen" version of DVD's..
>
> It makes you want to cry..
>
> How many have ever tried to really explain aspect ratio of TV
> and movies and broadcast signals to relatives
>
> Overcoming -- the black or grey bars on the sides are bad bad
> bad and wasting my TV is tough in some circles

Perhaps you should try explaining the benefit of

a) awareness regarding DVD/TV aspect ratios (this can be simple)
b) the features of DVD players which accomplish the same
cropping (zoom)
c) the advantage of owning DVDs which fit both the viewer's
present hardware and viewing preference while retaining the same
advantage for future TV set purchases.

So, knowing that they can achieve the same "cropping" (though
not the pan and scan provided by an editor, which subject you
should NOT bring up) with a DVD player or TV so equipped, then
helps them to see that, if and when they decide to purchase a
widescreen TV, they will not be confronted with the opposite
problem of pillar-boxing their "full screen" DVDs.

While they may have no plans to purchase a widescreen TV, there
is an inevitability regarding the shape of TV in the future and
the death of their current hardware. Beside which, OTA TV and
its cable rebroadcast, often via clear QAM, will take advantage
of widescreen TVs providing their impetus to upgrade.

I reckon it's easier to sway someone's opinion to the "wisdom"
of your choices by not attacking their taste and/or aesthetics.

Steven

Thanks

I've not really done this in an "attacking way"

My sister and my dad now actually have widescreen HDTV's -- vizio LCD's

So I show them HD material -- although they are in the same house -- only my
dad's has a cable box with HD output attached . I try the aspect ratio
education thing

Last time home -- neither TV had a DVD player even attached -- I have a
spare one I'll take home for my Dad on the next visit

Still each time I go back all the adjustments are set back to zoom
everything to make sure there are not top or side black or grey bars -- as
these are evil waster of the TV screen - LOL

I believe very large majority of the viewing public behave this same way..

"Bill's News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47acabd4$0$16693$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yPMpj.16520$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> exactly right..............and many these "full screen" things also have
>> statements on the box and sometimes at the beginning of the feature
>> itself that says the presentation has been changes to fit your "4:3"
>> screen, etc..
>>
>> I go into "withdrawal" when I go home to visit relatives these days with
>> my sister and dad actually buying into some flat panel LCD (vizios) that
>> are widescreen and they have and still buy "full screen" version of
>> DVD's..
>>
>> It makes you want to cry..
>>
>> How many have ever tried to really explain aspect ratio of TV and movies
>> and broadcast signals to relatives
>>
>> Overcoming -- the black or grey bars on the sides are bad bad bad and
>> wasting my TV is tough in some circles
>>

> Perhaps you should try explaining the benefit of
>
> a) awareness regarding DVD/TV aspect ratios (this can be simple)
> b) the features of DVD players which accomplish the same cropping (zoom)
> c) the advantage of owning DVDs which fit both the viewer's present
> hardware and viewing preference while retaining the same advantage for
> future TV set purchases.
>
> So, knowing that they can achieve the same "cropping" (though not the pan
> and scan provided by an editor, which subject you should NOT bring up)
> with a DVD player or TV so equipped, then helps them to see that, if and
> when they decide to purchase a widescreen TV, they will not be confronted
> with the opposite problem of pillar-boxing their "full screen" DVDs.
>
> While they may have no plans to purchase a widescreen TV, there is an
> inevitability regarding the shape of TV in the future and the death of
> their current hardware. Beside which, OTA TV and its cable rebroadcast,
> often via clear QAM, will take advantage of widescreen TVs providing their
> impetus to upgrade.
>
> I reckon it's easier to sway someone's opinion to the "wisdom" of your
> choices by not attacking their taste and/or aesthetics.

Bill's News

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mp5rj.10796$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks
>
> I've not really done this in an "attacking way"
>
> My sister and my dad now actually have widescreen HDTV's --
> vizio LCD's
>
> So I show them HD material -- although they are in the same
> house -- only my dad's has a cable box with HD output attached
> . I try the aspect ratio education thing
>
> Last time home -- neither TV had a DVD player even attached --
> I have a spare one I'll take home for my Dad on the next visit
>
> Still each time I go back all the adjustments are set back to
> zoom everything to make sure there are not top or side black
> or grey bars -- as these are evil waster of the TV screen -
> LOL
>
> I believe very large majority of the viewing public behave
> this same way..

Personally, I like the flexibility of being able to zoom in on
some material while retaining the theatrical aspect ratio of
others. Much of the non-movie, TV material I record is still in
4:3 (though some of that is shown within a 16:9 frame). I don't
zoom 4:3 to full width, but I often bump it a few notches. For
some widescreen images, I couldn't care less that zooming will
lose the edges, though I'm most likely to just bump these only a
few percentage points as well. On others, it's vital to retain
every bit of the original scenes. It seems to me that the home
theater (or any of its subparts) is a tool of the viewer, to be
utilized as he or she sees fit. When others are visiting here
to watch a 2:35 or wider Blu, or HD, or SD DVD I usually
illustrate to them what zooming is available and let them
decide. If we do zoom, we can always backup and unzoom to catch
the edges we might have missed - if their absence is noticeable.
The gangs entering at opposite ends of the street in "Gangs of
New York" would be an example. I most certainly point out to
neighbors who still have only 4:3 TVs that wide screen DVDs can
be zoomed by their players. And I strongly urge them, because
of this player feature, to buy only the widescreen version of
DVDs to protect that investment against future TV set purchases.

The only time I might pipe up with a viewing opinion is at a
neighbor's home when SD stretch is employed on a 16:9 screen
(though I've come to learn that some older sets only offer this
method and that some invoke it automatically). What's one to
do? I'm not about to insult my neighbor's equipment purchase
unless they're complaining about it themselves.

Auto-connect Bluetooth PAN =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?= Wireless Networking 2 05-09-2005 10:18 PM
Slide show with transitions, audio, zoom/pan? Terry Digital Photography 14 07-05-2004 10:07 AM
pan test Paul Juliano Computer Support 2 12-09-2003 11:03 AM
HOW TO: Create a Photo DVD with Pan/Zoom (Ken Burns) effects Casey Digital Photography 1 08-19-2003 10:19 PM
smoother pan on cheap tripods?? tkranz Digital Photography 3 08-11-2003 09:19 AM

Advertisments