Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G

VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G

Theo Markettos

[reposting, posted this to u.t.m by mistake]

I have a foreign mobile network that offers flat-rate WAP connections for a
good rate. Is there any way I can run VOIP over WAP?

The WAP is mangled such that the only way to get a clean outbound TCP
connection is to pretend to be HTTPS traffic and connect to a server on TCP
port 443 via their proxy.

Let's assume I have a server on which I can run whatever I like, and the
client end is a laptop which can run whatever I like. Is there any hope of
me being able to tunnel VOIP over TCP? Is this many layers going to cause
it to fall over in a heap of latency?

If so, any recommendations for software or protocols to do it? I'd
presumably need some kind of VPN to tunnel the various SIP ports, but what
would work over TCP?

Am I just insane to even consider this?

Cheers,
Theo

Tim

Theo Markettos wrote:
> If so, any recommendations for software or protocols to do it? I'd
> presumably need some kind of VPN to tunnel the various SIP ports, but what
> would work over TCP?

I think you'd have to run OpenVPN over TCP.

Might just work, but kinda pushing it.

Tim

Theo Markettos

Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think you'd have to run OpenVPN over TCP.
>
> Might just work, but kinda pushing it.

Thanks, that looks like an idea. As they say... 'it's a million to one
chance but it might just work'

Theo