Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > TCP/IP over Bluetooth?

TCP/IP over Bluetooth?

Timothy Daniels

Can TCP/IP be run over Bluetooth in Vista?
I'd like to use Bluetooth for simulating the Internet "cloud"
while developing server-client and server-server TCP/IP
communications without a router for college projects. I
have a few laptops that are Bluetooth enabled, and I'd
like to use Bluetooth since all the laptops would be in the
same room.

*TimDaniels*

Mr. Strat

In article <47a4fdad$0$30705$(E-Mail Removed)>, Timothy Daniels
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can TCP/IP be run over Bluetooth in Vista?
> I'd like to use Bluetooth for simulating the Internet "cloud"
> while developing server-client and server-server TCP/IP
> communications without a router for college projects. I
> have a few laptops that are Bluetooth enabled, and I'd
> like to use Bluetooth since all the laptops would be in the
> same room.

Greatly simplified, think of Bluetooth as wireless USB.

Timothy Daniels

"Mr. Strat" wrote:
> Timothy Daniels wrote:
>
>> Can TCP/IP be run over Bluetooth in Vista?
>> I'd like to use Bluetooth for simulating the Internet "cloud"
>> while developing server-client and server-server TCP/IP
>> communications without a router for college projects. I
>> have a few laptops that are Bluetooth enabled, and I'd
>> like to use Bluetooth since all the laptops would be in the
>> same room.

> Greatly simplified, think of Bluetooth as wireless USB.

Coincidentally, I notice that UCLA Extension will be offering
a course in May titled "IP Ad Hoc Networking". It involves IP
communication over interconnected Bluetooth "piconets" called
"scatternets". Tuition for the 3-day course - $1,800. <groan>
Apparently what I'd like to do has been the subject of DARPA-
funded research for the past decade.

*TimDaniels*