Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Problem of Getting On To the Internet

Problem of Getting On To the Internet

Diane Walker

I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed" I
have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Tony Sperling

Which is your motherboard - CPU - Chipset, please?

(If you don't know - which brand and model is the machine?)

Tony. . .

"Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
> internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed"
> have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

The reason Tony was asking, is that there are known problems with Nvidia
based motherboards. I know what I'm about to say is silly, but if you have
an nvidia chipset mobo, just trust me and do it.

Known problem:
Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
> internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed"
> have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Diane Walker

Thanks both of you for the information. It is a Dell PowerEdge 2850.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is your motherboard - CPU - Chipset, please?
>
> (If you don't know - which brand and model is the machine?)
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
> > internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed"
> > have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

philo

"Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
> internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed"

> have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

First thing to see is if your netcard is actually installed...
If not, you will then need to install the *64bit* drivers for it.

Note: not all net cards have 64bit drivers...but check the mfg's website

Also: If the machine has an "on-board" device...the drivers would be on the
CD that came with your motherboard

Tony Sperling

O.K. - this is Intel (not nVidia), like Philo says you need to check that
your machine was delivered with net-cards or if it is on the motherboard -
that networking is enabled in the BIOS. In addition, if you need to install
drivers, they must be 64bit - don't trust the system CD - you may have to
download them separately from Dell/ Intel?

Tony. . .

"Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks both of you for the information. It is a Dell PowerEdge 2850.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which is your motherboard - CPU - Chipset, please?
>>
>> (If you don't know - which brand and model is the machine?)
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
>> > internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be
>> > displayed"
>> > have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Diane Walker

Thanks Charlie and Philo for your suggestions. I will try Dell's web site
and let you know the status.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
> > internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed"

> > have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
> >

> First thing to see is if your netcard is actually installed...
> If not, you will then need to install the *64bit* drivers for it.
>
> Note: not all net cards have 64bit drivers...but check the mfg's website
>
> Also: If the machine has an "on-board" device...the drivers would be on

the
> CD that came with your motherboard

philo

"Diane Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Charlie and Philo for your suggestions. I will try Dell's web site
> and let you know the status.
>
> "

Ok...please post back and let use know what happened

Carlos

Diane,
How do you connect to the Internet?
Dial-up modem (external or internal), ADSL modem (USB or Ethernet), etc.?
Could you connect to the Internet with your prior installation before
Windows 2003 64-bit?
Have you configured your Internet connection?
Carlos

"Diane Walker" wrote:

> I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
> internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed" I
> have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Diane Walker

Thanks for your response. I connect to the internet by Ethernet. I was
able to connect to the internet through Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

I have not downloaded the 64-bit drivers. We had a major power problem. I
will work on this problem tomorrow and let you know the status. Thanks
again.

news(E-Mail Removed)...