Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > help, pls, burning DVD's...

help, pls, burning DVD's...

Uncle Vinnie

I am not sure if this is the right board, but it's a start....if not, please
direct me.. (thanks!)

I have an HP Pavilion a1310n, running XP/ Media Edition... It came bundled
with
Sonic/MyDVD....

I was transferring 2 home movies (firewire) and building a DVD using
Sonic... at near completion, it came up with errors- one regarding
'vobulator', the other regarding the filename invalid (no more than 8
characters)...and of course the regular 'windows encountered an error'.

In googling around, these are 2 know issues posted on HP's site as well as
Roxio's... with 'workarounds'...no fixes, just workarounds...

I have now spent a week working on this video, (as others have from other
posts) all with this same set of
problems...again, they're known with 'workarounds' and no updates....

What I am asking are for suggestions for other software or how to fix the
one I have.

Do I have something 'Microsoft' in my Media OS I might have missed??

Nero has been cited... a name that's usually been very good in past for CD
burning.. comments?

Any others I should look at???

I also have a CD of Roxio Creator Plus that came with my wife's Dell...

I am not getting 'serious' about this, just an occasional video here and
there, but what I have is simply unreliable..

Thank you for your help and suggestions... also, if there is a more
appropriate board to post at, I have not found it as of yet, but will post
there...

Again, thank you!

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie

Jim

"Uncle Vinnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47a49e12$0$25037$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am not sure if this is the right board, but it's a start....if not,
>please
> direct me.. (thanks!)
>
> I have an HP Pavilion a1310n, running XP/ Media Edition... It came
> bundled
> with
> Sonic/MyDVD....
>
> I was transferring 2 home movies (firewire) and building a DVD using
> Sonic... at near completion, it came up with errors- one regarding
> 'vobulator', the other regarding the filename invalid (no more than 8
> characters)...and of course the regular 'windows encountered an error'.
>
> In googling around, these are 2 know issues posted on HP's site as well as
> Roxio's... with 'workarounds'...no fixes, just workarounds...
>
> I have now spent a week working on this video, (as others have from other
> posts) all with this same set of
> problems...again, they're known with 'workarounds' and no updates....
>
> What I am asking are for suggestions for other software or how to fix the
> one I have.
>
> Do I have something 'Microsoft' in my Media OS I might have missed??
>
> Nero has been cited... a name that's usually been very good in past for CD
> burning.. comments?
>
> Any others I should look at???
>
> I also have a CD of Roxio Creator Plus that came with my wife's Dell...
>
> I am not getting 'serious' about this, just an occasional video here and
> there, but what I have is simply unreliable..
>
> Thank you for your help and suggestions... also, if there is a more
> appropriate board to post at, I have not found it as of yet, but will post
> there...
>
> Again, thank you!
>
> --
> B'rgds,
>
> Vinnie

Hello Vinnie,
I am not sure how much of the DVD making process you know of... but just for
the hell of it, here is a run down.
(I apologize and mean no disrespect to your knowledge if this is known)

-You start with an avi file, firewired in from your camera. It's a big nice
looking file. This is the best file to edit with in your editor.
-You edit the avis in your editor of choice, cutting dissovling etc.
-Now that that is complete, your project in your editor must be converted to
an mpeg2 which is the file type needed for DVDs.
Some editors will encode to mpeg2 for you, there are also stand alone apps
that do nothing but this. If you used a stand alone app, you would have to
save the completed project in your editor as one big avi file and bring that
into your mpeg2 encoder.
-Once the file is an mpeg2 you bring this file into the authoring program
for the DVD. This is the one that adds the menus, chapters etc. Once you
have set up your DVD, the authoring program will convert the mpeg2 into a
series of .vob files in one folder named VIDEO_TS. This is the folder you
burn to a DVD in your burning program.

So the long list of programs and a few examples
-Firewire program to bring in the footage. (WinDV, most editin apps)
-Editor to edit the footage. (Speed Edit, Vegas, Premiere etc)
-mpeg2 encoder to convert to DVD ready mpeg2 (tmpgenc 4, procoder, Cinema
Craft also many editing apps)
-DVD authoring program to turn the mpeg2 file into a VIDEO_TS folder with
all your menus... (tmpgenc DVD Author, DVD Lab Pro, DVD Workshop)
-DVD burning program (Nero, roxio, many dvd authoring programs will burn
also)

Please note that many apps now-a-days combine some of therse steps. Most
editors will firewire and many convert to mpeg2.
Some authoring programs also convert to mpeg2 and even have a little editing
power....

which FINALLY leads to my thoughts on what you may find useful.....

TMPGEnc DVD Author
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html

here's why I think it will help-->It combines the most steps of the above
equation.
It is also a fairly easy program to learn and is quite user friendly,
although it does have quite a bit of power under the hood.

The only thing it will not do is firewire in your footage. It does however
have basic editing capibilities(color correction and all), will convert your
avi(s) from your camera into mpeg2, then it will author the DVD folder for
you and even burn it to disk if you want.

So if you do not have any special editing needs, just some cuts and
dissolves, you can use a free app alike WinDV http://windv.mourek.cz/ to
firewire in your footage, then use TMPGEnc DVD Author for everyrthing else.

The only thing you may outgrow is the need for a more robust editor. If
that's the case you can edit your avi in an editor of choice then save your
entire project as an avi (frame served the best, uncompressed next, DV Type2
is fine also really) then bring that avi into tmpgenc author and do the
rest.

I hope this made sense. My nomenclature may be off here or there, but I know
this workflo like I do walking as DVD Author has become one of my bread and
butter programs for certain projects.

There may be a free timed trial of DVD Author, and if you think I can help
in any other way, let me know.

/caffeine
Jim

Jim

"Jim" <jimmy AT hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:47a4d4f1$0$1102$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The only thing it will not do is firewire in your footage.

Scrap that. I see that it DOES have firewire capibility. So you could do
everything needed under one roof with TMPGEnc DVD Author.

ps.. I am sure there are other programs that do it all from capture to burn,
TMPGEnc is just the one I am most comfortable with.
I prefer a couple other packages for JUST authoring, but when combining
steps, DVD Author is the one for me.