Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP x86 vs Windows XP 64-bit

Windows XP x86 vs Windows XP 64-bit

Sabo, Eric

Which is better or which OS would have better peformance under the same
hardware (Memory less than 4 GB)?

Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?

Thanks in advance,
Eric Sabo

philo

"Sabo, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is better or which OS would have better peformance under the same
> hardware (Memory less than 4 GB)?
>
> Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eric Sabo

On the same machine XP_32 and XP_64 will not have any terribly noticable
differences for "general" usage.
the real question is what applications are you going to run.
If the apps you use cannot take advantage of 64bit extentions...then you
might as well just go with the 32bit version of XP...
as you will have better driver support.

Of course if you run apps that can take advantage of the 64bit CPU...then go
for it.

Just for an example..I built a machine that's used exclusively for Photoshop
CS2.

The machine dual boots XP_32 and XP_64. There is a nice improvement on the
64bit side...
and once that system was fully configured...the user never bothered to use
XP_32 again.

But if one were just going to use the machine for word processing and
checking email (ie)
you probably would see no difference

Colin Barnhorst

No difference for most apps. Depends on what you are doing.

"Sabo, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is better or which OS would have better peformance under the same
> hardware (Memory less than 4 GB)?
>
> Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eric Sabo

Sabo, Eric

Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the OS
being 64-bit?

Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
would have written this for 64-bit.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No difference for most apps. Depends on what you are doing.
>
> "Sabo, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which is better or which OS would have better peformance under the same
>> hardware (Memory less than 4 GB)?
>>
>> Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Eric Sabo

philo

"Sabo, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the OS
> being 64-bit?
>
> Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
> would have written this for 64-bit.

There are no 64bit apps that I know of...
at best , just 32bit apps that can take advantage of 64 bit extentions...
though I think Adobe might be working on a 64bit version of Photoshop...
check their website

Homer J. Simpson

>> Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the OS
>> being 64-bit?
>>
>> Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
>> would have written this for 64-bit.
>>

> There are no 64bit apps that I know of...

OMG.

Hand in your geek badge. Now.

John Barnes

If you have driver support and your programs run on 64-bit, XP64 is a rock
solid system. While I mostly use Vista64 now, it is no way as solid for me
as XP64 was, worth every annoyance I went thru getting is set up and working
the way I needed it to work.

"Sabo, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is better or which OS would have better peformance under the same
> hardware (Memory less than 4 GB)?
>
> Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Eric Sabo

Colin Barnhorst

There is no need for Office to be 64bit. The primary advantage for software
is the support for more than 4GB of memory. Video and graphics processing
software can certainly use a 64bit OS to great advantage but most software
runs about the same as it did in 32bit.

It is better to check the websites for software companies for the programs
you want to use to see what they say the advantages of 64bit versions are.
Don't forget that most of them have user forums where you can ask other
users about these things.

There are lots of lists of compatible software for Vista x64 on the internet
(use google) but MS only maintains a hardware compatibility list. It would
be a massive and thankless job to track software. I know of no list of
software compiled specifically as 64-bit software, however. There just
isn't any need for one since 32bit programs run natively in Vista x64
anyway.

"Sabo, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the OS
> being 64-bit?
>
> Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
> would have written this for 64-bit.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No difference for most apps. Depends on what you are doing.
>>
>> "Sabo, Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Which is better or which OS would have better peformance under the same
>>> hardware (Memory less than 4 GB)?
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any URLs that did a test like this?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Eric Sabo

philo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone have a list of what apps will or can take advantage of the
>>> OS being 64-bit?
>>>
>>> Yes even Office 2007 is an 32-bit application, one would think Microsoft
>>> would have written this for 64-bit.
>>>

>> There are no 64bit apps that I know of...

> OMG.
>
> Hand in your geek badge. Now.

I don't think I worded that too well...

Yes. there are 64 bit apps...but since the 64bit machine I built was for
someone else...
& my own machines are 32 bit... I'd have no need to know what apps there are
for 64 bit.

eeer

anyway...they are comming now to pick up my geek badge
so no amount of blundering around can save me.

It must have been a pretty serious error on my part as it looks like Bill
Gates himself
is now at the door to strip the badge away from me

Colin Barnhorst

Yes there are.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...