Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how to make large prints from a digital camera

how to make large prints from a digital camera

goatsrrunnin@gmail.com

i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

Randy Berbaum

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
> be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you could go to a
kinkos or a professional print lab. This will cost heavily and may be too
expensive for an amature or if you want to do several posters. Or if you
want to do it at home on your own printer you need a photo software package
that does what is called "poster print". These programs break the image into
a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and pasted together to
make a large poster. I have made a poster print as large as 10' x 2' (a
panorama shot) and a poster 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly
dependant on the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown up". And the
software that does the blow up also makes a difference.

Personally I use Qimage. I have been very happy with the results. Of course
there will be other software suggestions and you will have to decide what
software will work best for you. But the function you are looking for is
"poster print". Note this method is best for amatures or those exploring
their skills as if you plan on selling the posters many people will not like
the seams where the pages are pasted together (and your skill at accurate
trimming and gluing makes a difference here).

Randy

HEMI-Powered

Randy Berbaum added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> ups.com...
>>i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can
>>i get
>> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i
>> guess that'd be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin?
>> thanks. kenny.

> There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you
> could go to a kinkos or a professional print lab. This will
> cost heavily and may be too expensive for an amature or if you
> want to do several posters. Or if you want to do it at home on
> your own printer you need a photo software package that does
> what is called "poster print". These programs break the image
> into a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and
> pasted together to make a large poster. I have made a poster
> print as large as 10' x 2' (a panorama shot) and a poster
> 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly dependant on
> the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
> isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown
> up". And the software that does the blow up also makes a
> difference.

I print very few of my own images, mainly car pictures, but I
have looked at the economy sources such as Kinko's Meijer,
Costco, Target and others. I can't quote prices but I recall that
they had a couple of quality levels and several types of paper
that could be used. I thought that the prices I saw for 11 x 14,
16 x 20 and even poster size seemed reasonable, but again, I've
done no real research, I'm just making an observation here.

The OP didn't provide much detail, but one important statistic is
how many images/month or images/year does he intend to print and
to what size? When I bought my current Canon Pixma 6600 a couple
of years ago, I investigated Canan's wide-carriage printer and
Epson's. Both print to at least Super B, 13 x 19. I am very, very
happy with the quality of my Canon on their Super Glossy paper,
although even at "normal" print quality, it almost literally eats
ink.

It seems like the OP might want to evaluate several local and
internet printing services and get a feel for the relative
quality and actual cost/print at several sizes. Then, make the
same quality and price/print comparisons with a home printer and
go with the solution that best meets their overall needs.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II

Art

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 00:56:09 -0800 (PST), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
>my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
>be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

COSTCO website (costco.com select photo) does 20x30 prints for $10
each, plus $5 mailing for the whole batch you order. They take under a
week. I've done 10, and the color has been perfect so far - both 4 and
8 mpix shots.

They do charge a membership, but it may be worth buying one if you are
going to do very many prints. its MUCH less expensive than any other
source I've found.

Joseph Meehan

You may want to check the local camera stores, not electronic stores.
Many of them, along with many photo finishing outlets if you still have any
in your area, will product the product you are interested in. Most know
their business very well and can offer a choice of services at a range of
prices.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
> be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Feb 2, 3:47 am, "Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
> > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
> > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

> There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you could go to a
> kinkos or a professional print lab. This will cost heavily and may be too
> expensive for an amature or if you want to do several posters. Or if you
> want to do it at home on your own printer you need a photo software package
> that does what is called "poster print". These programs break the image into
> a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and pasted together to
> make a large poster. I have made a poster print as large as 10' x 2' (a
> panorama shot) and a poster 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly
> dependant on the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
> isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown up". And the
> software that does the blow up also makes a difference.
>
> Personally I use Qimage. I have been very happy with the results. Of course
> there will be other software suggestions and you will have to decide what
> software will work best for you. But the function you are looking for is
> "poster print". Note this method is best for amatures or those exploring
> their skills as if you plan on selling the posters many people will not like
> the seams where the pages are pasted together (and your skill at accurate
> trimming and gluing makes a difference here).
>
> Randy

Seems to me photo editors have gone backwards on this. Before I moved
to PSP, I had several low cost editors, including Micrografix's Photo
Magic that included this feature.

Why do PSP and PS NOT have it? Seems like it should be part of any
decent editor.

goatsrrunnin@gmail.com

On Feb 2, 9:15*am, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Feb 2, 3:47 am, "Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > >i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
> > > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
> > > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

> > There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you could go to a
> > kinkos or a professional print lab. This will cost heavily and may be too
> > expensive for an amature or if you want to do several posters. Or if you
> > want to do it at home on your own printer you need a photo software package
> > that does what is called "poster print". These programs break the image into
> > a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and pasted together to
> > make a large poster. I have made a poster print as large as 10' x 2' (a
> > panorama shot) and a poster 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly
> > dependant on the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
> > isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown up". And the
> > software that does the blow up also makes a difference.

> > Personally I use Qimage. I have been very happy with the results. Of course
> > there will be other software suggestions and you will have to decide what
> > software will work best for you. But the function you are looking for is
> > "poster print". Note this method is best for amatures or those exploring
> > their skills as if you plan on selling the posters many people will not like
> > the seams where the pages are pasted together (and your skill at accurate
> > trimming and gluing makes a difference here).

> > Randy

> Seems to me photo editors have gone backwards on this. *Before I moved
> to PSP, I had several low cost editors, including Micrografix's Photo
> Magic that included this feature.
>
> Why do PSP and PS NOT have it? *Seems like it should be part of any
> decent editor.- Hide quoted text -

thanks everybody. lots of great info. the very grateful, kenny

Dave Cohen

Art wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 00:56:09 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
>> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
>> be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

> COSTCO website (costco.com select photo) does 20x30 prints for $10
> each, plus $5 mailing for the whole batch you order. They take under a
> week. I've done 10, and the color has been perfect so far - both 4 and
> 8 mpix shots.
>
> They do charge a membership, but it may be worth buying one if you are
> going to do very many prints. its MUCH less expensive than any other
> source I've found.

Alternatively you can try www.yorkphoto.com, click under posters and
follow the links. They show 20'x30" for $14 plus postage but no sign up
fee, take your choice. Friend of mine used to use Clarke for film.
Dave Cohen

Mr. Strat

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
> be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

"Amature?"

Maybe it should be "a mature"

Marvin

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
> be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

Lots of places make poster size prints. I've used
clarkcolor.com.