Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Graphics card suggestions

Graphics card suggestions

Lodi

Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.

Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.

Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.

Sub-$400 would be nice.

Regards
Lodi

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
>
>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
>
>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
>
>Sub-$400 would be nice.
>
>Regards
>Lodi

Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?

Lodi

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:40:31 +1300, noone wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
>>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
>>
>>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we
>>speak.
>>
>>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
>>
>>Sub-$400 would be nice.
>>
>>Regards
>>Lodi

> Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?

I believe the computer is branded "Media Center". It has a 3.0 GHz cpu
with 1 gig RAM. Running XP

Not my computer. I'm just being asked for advice and, as ever, I turn to
the collected wisdom of the group.

Regards
Lodi

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:23:15 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:40:31 +1300, noone wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
>>>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
>>>
>>>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we
>>>speak.
>>>
>>>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
>>>
>>>Sub-$400 would be nice.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Lodi

>> Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?

>I believe the computer is branded "Media Center". It has a 3.0 GHz cpu
>with 1 gig RAM. Running XP
>
>Not my computer. I'm just being asked for advice and, as ever, I turn to
>the collected wisdom of the group.
>
>Regards
>Lodi

I am refering to the PSU as these cards can draw 80W or more..

Nighthawk

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
>
>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
>
>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
>
>Sub-$400 would be nice.
>
>Regards
>Lodi

I suppose how demanding the games are, some would require the latest
cards, but a look on http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html shows there
is plenty of choice under $400, including GeForce 8800 varieties and
ATI's recent HD 3870 512 MB. I would favour the latter for video
under XP. It can also run two screens at different resolutions and
refresh rates.

Nighthawk

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:16:48 +1300, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 05:50:10 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
>>Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
>>
>>Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
>>
>>Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
>>
>>Sub-$400 would be nice.
>>
>>Regards
>>Lodi

>I suppose how demanding the games are, some would require the latest
>cards, but a look on http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html shows there
>is plenty of choice under $400, including GeForce 8800 varieties and
>ATI's recent HD 3870 512 MB. I would favour the latter for video
>under XP. It can also run two screens at different resolutions and
>refresh rates.

PS If silence is a requrement Sapphire has a HD 3850 with heatpipe
cooling, nearly as fast as the 3870. These are ideal for
HomeTheatrePC, with hardware decoding for nearly every major video
type, including the new HD formats, H264, WMV9, MPEG 1 & 2, DivX, VC1.

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_11954.html

Aaron Lawrence

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
by the name of Lodi exclaimed:
> Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.

Pretty much all of the modern cards will be dual head,
and most are PCI express.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/..._best_gaming_g
raphics/
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Lodi

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 22:51:24 +1300, noone wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:23:15 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Do you have the Power to run one of these modern 3D cards..?

>>I believe the computer is branded "Media Center". It has a 3.0 GHz cpu
>>with 1 gig RAM. Running XP
>>
>>Not my computer. I'm just being asked for advice and, as ever, I turn to
>>the collected wisdom of the group.
>>
>>Regards
>>Lodi

> I am refering to the PSU as these cards can draw 80W or more..

350 watts. Will keep an eye out for that. Thanks

Lodi

thingy

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express card.
> Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
>
> Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we speak.
>
> Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it somewhere.
>
> Sub-$400 would be nice.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

Hi,

Anything from a 7600GT at $150 and upwards...for good performance I
would avoid the 8600GT....a 8800GT would be an aace card at around $400....

Malcolm

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:07:02 +1300
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lodi wrote:
> > Hi all....anyone got any suggestions for a dual-head pci express
> > card. Things to look for/look out for when reading the specs.
> >
> > Reasonably bamboozled by the terminology used but am googling as we
> > speak.
> >
> > Gaming and watching video files will most likely come into it
> > somewhere.
> >
> > Sub-$400 would be nice.
> >
> > Regards
> > Lodi

> Hi,
>
> Anything from a 7600GT at $150 and upwards...for good performance I
> would avoid the 8600GT....a 8800GT would be an aace card at around
> $400....

Hi
I'm running an GeForce 8600 GTS silent, works fine for me I had a
6600 before. It's twice as fast when not running compiz etc, and about
a third faster with compiz running. I only wanted something with dual
DVI and don't run any 3D games (except the flightsim in googleearth).
I've yet to try the HD out, must get around to that sometime...

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.3-smp