Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can't Install Downloaded Applications

Can't Install Downloaded Applications

Crayz

Hi! I'm having problems installing applications in VISTA Ultimate 32-bit or
64-bit.

After I do a clean install of VISTA Ultimate, I can't install any
applications if I've downloaded them from the Internet through VISTA. As an
example, if I go to the Adobe website, and download Adobe Reader for VISTA, I
can't install it. When I try to install it, VISTA tells me that it's an
unsigned application, and asks if I really want to install it. Once I click
"RUN ANYWAY", VISTA gives me a dialog box that says APPCRASH with the module
causing the error as Adobe Reader.

If I download Adobe Reader onto my laptop (which runs Windows XP Pro), and I
transfer it to a USB drive, I can install it in VISTA from the USB drive.

I'm installing these applications from an Administrator account, and I have
UAC turned off. I thought it was a conflict with one of the drivers, so I've
tried installing programs before I install drivers for my graphics card and
sound card. It still doesn't work.

I thought a Windows Update would fix the issue. After running Windows
Update two or three times to get everything updated, I still can't install
downloaded programs.

Please help. I'm at my wit's end, and I have a support call into Microsoft.
I've done 10+ clean installs, and I still haven't gotten any resolution.
Unfortunately, their support is from India, and they have never heard of this
issue. I've been going back and forth with them for the last two weeks.
Finally, MS Support tells me that they are seeing this crop up in other
systems too, so I'm not the only one.

Please help!

Here's my system config:

ASUS P5E MB (I had also tried using an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe MB also)
eVGA 8800 GT Graphics Card
Corsair XMS 2GB module
Maxtor 500GB SATA HD
OEM DVD Reader/Writer

Ronin1986

I tried for weeks to get Adobe 8 to download and was finally referred to a
troubleshoot page that may as well have been in Greek to me, so I thought I'd
try downloading with Firefox and "bobs ur uncle" one try and im up and
running!

"Crayz" wrote:

> Hi! I'm having problems installing applications in VISTA Ultimate 32-bit or
> 64-bit.
>
> After I do a clean install of VISTA Ultimate, I can't install any
> applications if I've downloaded them from the Internet through VISTA. As an
> example, if I go to the Adobe website, and download Adobe Reader for VISTA, I
> can't install it. When I try to install it, VISTA tells me that it's an
> unsigned application, and asks if I really want to install it. Once I click
> "RUN ANYWAY", VISTA gives me a dialog box that says APPCRASH with the module
> causing the error as Adobe Reader.
>
> If I download Adobe Reader onto my laptop (which runs Windows XP Pro), and I
> transfer it to a USB drive, I can install it in VISTA from the USB drive.
>
> I'm installing these applications from an Administrator account, and I have
> UAC turned off. I thought it was a conflict with one of the drivers, so I've
> tried installing programs before I install drivers for my graphics card and
> sound card. It still doesn't work.
>
> I thought a Windows Update would fix the issue. After running Windows
> Update two or three times to get everything updated, I still can't install
> downloaded programs.
>
> Please help. I'm at my wit's end, and I have a support call into Microsoft.
> I've done 10+ clean installs, and I still haven't gotten any resolution.
> Unfortunately, their support is from India, and they have never heard of this
> issue. I've been going back and forth with them for the last two weeks.
> Finally, MS Support tells me that they are seeing this crop up in other
> systems too, so I'm not the only one.
>
> Please help!
>
> Here's my system config:
>
> ASUS P5E MB (I had also tried using an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe MB also)
> eVGA 8800 GT Graphics Card
> Corsair XMS 2GB module
> Maxtor 500GB SATA HD
> OEM DVD Reader/Writer

Gary Mount

I have found that after downloading an app, if I open the folder first then
run/install the app from windows explorer instead of just running the app
from Internet explorer, I never have any problems.

"Crayz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi! I'm having problems installing applications in VISTA Ultimate 32-bit
> or
> 64-bit.
>
> After I do a clean install of VISTA Ultimate, I can't install any
> applications if I've downloaded them from the Internet through VISTA. As
> an
> example, if I go to the Adobe website, and download Adobe Reader for
> VISTA, I
> can't install it. When I try to install it, VISTA tells me that it's an
> unsigned application, and asks if I really want to install it. Once I
> click
> "RUN ANYWAY", VISTA gives me a dialog box that says APPCRASH with the
> module
> causing the error as Adobe Reader.
>
> If I download Adobe Reader onto my laptop (which runs Windows XP Pro), and
> transfer it to a USB drive, I can install it in VISTA from the USB drive.
>
> I'm installing these applications from an Administrator account, and I
> have
> UAC turned off. I thought it was a conflict with one of the drivers, so
> I've
> tried installing programs before I install drivers for my graphics card
> and
> sound card. It still doesn't work.
>
> I thought a Windows Update would fix the issue. After running Windows
> Update two or three times to get everything updated, I still can't install
> downloaded programs.
>
> Please help. I'm at my wit's end, and I have a support call into
> Microsoft.
> I've done 10+ clean installs, and I still haven't gotten any resolution.
> Unfortunately, their support is from India, and they have never heard of
> this
> issue. I've been going back and forth with them for the last two weeks.
> Finally, MS Support tells me that they are seeing this crop up in other
> systems too, so I'm not the only one.
>
> Please help!
>
> Here's my system config:
>
> ASUS P5E MB (I had also tried using an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe MB also)
> eVGA 8800 GT Graphics Card
> Corsair XMS 2GB module
> Maxtor 500GB SATA HD
> OEM DVD Reader/Writer

Chris

I'm having the same problem, I've just installed windows vista ultimate
(64-bit) and run all the updates etc and I can't open anything I download. If
I try to install something I get the same Appcrash, also if I try extracting
files from a compressed one it also generates an error and I can't unzip
(note: I've also tried downloading and installing winzip - but that also
won't install from download).
I've also run a few re-installs of vista to see if perhaps the install was
faulty, but it always has the same error. I need to install the drivers for
my graphics card but can't, and I can't open the PDF file the accompanies the
download because vista Appcrashes each time I try and install acrobat reader.
In a way I'm relieved I'm not the only person experiencing this problem, I
would really like to know what to do though because it's driving me crazy.
Thanks.

Chris

Following on from my previous post, I found a copy of Adobe Reader on a CD
and it installed from the CD with out any problems, also I haven't had any
other problems when installing other programs from CD, it seems to be just
the one's that are downloaded - which is really annoying because I bought my
Graphics Card OEM and didn't get the driver CD with it, so I really need the
downloads to install.

Tony Sperling

Strange - how deep in the Directory tree are your downloads stored? There
once was a problem on XP x64 where a 'Creative' driver refused to install
unless it was run from a Directory one step down from the Root.

After re-booting - is it still the same?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Following on from my previous post, I found a copy of Adobe Reader on a CD
> and it installed from the CD with out any problems, also I haven't had any
> other problems when installing other programs from CD, it seems to be just
> the one's that are downloaded - which is really annoying because I bought
> my
> Graphics Card OEM and didn't get the driver CD with it, so I really need
> the
> downloads to install.

Chris

The downloads are stored in the default downloads folder in the user
directory. Also after re-booting the problem is still the same, I've tried
changing the user control settings and resetting but that hasn't worked, I've
tried re-installing windows about 3 or 4 times and that hasn't made any
difference. I've installed all the updates that windows has when you first
start vista, which is odd because they obviously downloaded and then
installed, so I don't know why stuff I download from IE doesn't install. If I
could try running Firefox to see if IE is the problem I would, however the
only way I can do that is by downloading the setup program and installing it,
which I can't do because of this stupid problem with Vista 64. It's such a
pain, I can't even begin to describe. I would install the 32-bit version,
however I've just spent so much money upgrading my PC that the 32-bit
wouldn't work as well: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor, Asus Striker
Extreme Motherboard, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8800 GTX Graphics Card and a 700W PSU,
also running 2 SATA Hard-drives (one of which isn't connected to the
motherboard at the moment because it has all my backed-up files that I don't
want getting damaged by mistake whilst sorting out this problemn with Vista).
I don't think the hardware should be the problem as everything's Vista ready,
and the Processor supports a 64-bit OS. I just don't know what to do.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Strange - how deep in the Directory tree are your downloads stored? There
> once was a problem on XP x64 where a 'Creative' driver refused to install
> unless it was run from a Directory one step down from the Root.
>
> After re-booting - is it still the same?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Following on from my previous post, I found a copy of Adobe Reader on a CD
> > and it installed from the CD with out any problems, also I haven't had any
> > other problems when installing other programs from CD, it seems to be just
> > the one's that are downloaded - which is really annoying because I bought
> > my
> > Graphics Card OEM and didn't get the driver CD with it, so I really need
> > the
> > downloads to install.

Jane C

Hi Chris,

A couple of thoughts. After you download to the Downloads folder,
right-click on the exe/msi, Properties, "Unblock", Apply, OK. Does the
Appcrash still occur?

At what stage during the install/unzip attempt does the Appcrash happen?
Anything in Event Viewer that correlates?

As you can successfully install programs from a CD, there is a possibility
that data is getting corrupted during the download. This could be caused
somewhere en route, or it could be a faulty NIC. (We had this happen for a
few days once. Everything was getting corrupted somewhere along the line.
Trying to install or unzip threw errors.)

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP Windows Desktop Experience

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The downloads are stored in the default downloads folder in the user
> directory. Also after re-booting the problem is still the same, I've tried
> changing the user control settings and resetting but that hasn't worked,
> I've
> tried re-installing windows about 3 or 4 times and that hasn't made any
> difference. I've installed all the updates that windows has when you first
> start vista, which is odd because they obviously downloaded and then
> installed, so I don't know why stuff I download from IE doesn't install.
> If I
> could try running Firefox to see if IE is the problem I would, however the
> only way I can do that is by downloading the setup program and installing
> it,
> which I can't do because of this stupid problem with Vista 64. It's such a
> pain, I can't even begin to describe. I would install the 32-bit version,
> however I've just spent so much money upgrading my PC that the 32-bit
> wouldn't work as well: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor, Asus Striker
> Extreme Motherboard, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8800 GTX Graphics Card and a 700W
> PSU,
> also running 2 SATA Hard-drives (one of which isn't connected to the
> motherboard at the moment because it has all my backed-up files that I
> don't
> want getting damaged by mistake whilst sorting out this problemn with
> Vista).
> I don't think the hardware should be the problem as everything's Vista
> ready,
> and the Processor supports a 64-bit OS. I just don't know what to do.

Chris

I've already tried unblocking the downloads and that doesn't help, the
appcrash happens straight after I open the file to install. I had a copy of
uTorrent on my other hard drive which I installed and through that I've been
able to download Firefox. It's weird because the files I download through
uTorrent seem fine, as well as the .exe files allready on my Hard drive.
So I've tried downloading through firefox and the install program actually
opens now where as before it would crash. However when it gets to the point
where I've chosen the location and it begins to install I get another crash
saying the file may be corrupt.. in the case of the graphics card drivers,
i've downloaded different versions of the drivers from different locations
and they all have the same error.

"Jane C" wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> A couple of thoughts. After you download to the Downloads folder,
> right-click on the exe/msi, Properties, "Unblock", Apply, OK. Does the
> Appcrash still occur?
>
> At what stage during the install/unzip attempt does the Appcrash happen?
> Anything in Event Viewer that correlates?
>
> As you can successfully install programs from a CD, there is a possibility
> that data is getting corrupted during the download. This could be caused
> somewhere en route, or it could be a faulty NIC. (We had this happen for a
> few days once. Everything was getting corrupted somewhere along the line.
> Trying to install or unzip threw errors.)
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP Windows Desktop Experience
>
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The downloads are stored in the default downloads folder in the user
> > directory. Also after re-booting the problem is still the same, I've tried
> > changing the user control settings and resetting but that hasn't worked,
> > I've
> > tried re-installing windows about 3 or 4 times and that hasn't made any
> > difference. I've installed all the updates that windows has when you first
> > start vista, which is odd because they obviously downloaded and then
> > installed, so I don't know why stuff I download from IE doesn't install.
> > If I
> > could try running Firefox to see if IE is the problem I would, however the
> > only way I can do that is by downloading the setup program and installing
> > it,
> > which I can't do because of this stupid problem with Vista 64. It's such a
> > pain, I can't even begin to describe. I would install the 32-bit version,
> > however I've just spent so much money upgrading my PC that the 32-bit
> > wouldn't work as well: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor, Asus Striker
> > Extreme Motherboard, 4 GB RAM, NVidia 8800 GTX Graphics Card and a 700W
> > PSU,
> > also running 2 SATA Hard-drives (one of which isn't connected to the
> > motherboard at the moment because it has all my backed-up files that I
> > don't
> > want getting damaged by mistake whilst sorting out this problemn with
> > Vista).
> > I don't think the hardware should be the problem as everything's Vista
> > ready,
> > and the Processor supports a 64-bit OS. I just don't know what to do.

Tony Sperling

Is this your own personal home desktop or are you connected via someone
elses network?

Did you change your ISP, or your account?

TCP/IP properly installed and configured?

You don't have multiple Anti-Virus's configured?

It used to work - is it all the same NIC's, Cables and Router/Switches as it
used to be?

Your BIOS setup suits your networking hardware and configuration?

(Clutching at straws, here!)

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...