Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > mmmm outlook express

mmmm outlook express

Gordon

news:mIIoj.154$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fnvcsg$bsf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Laserfink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "
>>>
>>> ahhh .. never seen it
>>>

> Can this Windows mail be used on XP?

No, but there's Windows Live Mail Desktop, which, AFAIK, is almost the same
as Windows Mail. (Personally I use Outlook 2007....)
Have a look here:
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Evan Platt

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:18:22 -0000, "Laserfink"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Outlook express , now theres a thing

I think you meant "piece of crap".

>just about everyone i know who uses a computer uses it

Lemmings.

>its bog standard with every windows system

Uhhh yeah, and?

>YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
>for years with very little updates to it

People have been crapping the same for thousands of years. Does that
mean anything?

>Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

Some people are too stupid to learn something better?

Rgr

Laserfink wrote:
> Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
> was the latest trend in email clients
>
> Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
> all it basically is , is a OE clone
>
> No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
> add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!
>
> and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
> or arriving email - addresses

You're wanting bling, most of the rest of the world would prefer substance.

Blinky the Shark

Laserfink wrote:

> was just thinking , wouldnt it be great if you could assign
> different sounds to different folders in OE

I think you misspelled "annoying".

, just done an

And a billion billion flies eat **** and love it.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

wisdomkiller & pain

Laserfink wrote:

> Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
> was the latest trend in email clients
>
> Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
> all it basically is , is a OE clone

Certainly not. It is made to look as simple and convenient as possible to
the former outlook express users, but the major difference is, it does not
rely upon IE and does not "forcibly" show mails as html, with all the
security risks.
Indeed, due to the manglement of OE with IE, and IE with windows explorer,
IE/explorer must be configured "tightly secured" which often leads to
difficulties displaying even locally stored pictures.
Now get the figure.

> No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
> add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!

And that is good and safe as well.

> and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
> or arriving email - addresses
>
> Jeex you would think this would be so simple and is
> standard on mobile phones now YET i ahve been
> searching for a couple of hours and cant come
> with anything

Lameass. Noise polluter. Subway stalker.

Homeworker

"I think you must be the ONLY person in the universe who wants this,
otherwise it would have been done.....remember, email started out, and is in
the main, a BUSINESS tool....."

I would find it useful ......... my email is open for 9/10 hours a day ..due
to spam landing in the
deleted items box my OE is constantly doing its little "beep" and you feel
encouraged
to go over and have a look in case its an important email ...90% of the time
its spam

So if nothing else turning off the beep for the "bin" would be handy but
surely
slighlty different sounds for folders or different email contatcs would be
very useful
in many situations where the user does not want to be TIED to a desk but
aware of a particular email arriving by a particular sound ... sounds like
VERY
useful buisness tool to me

Also imagine an office with 10 people in it , everyone has a different sound
allocated to the bosses email ..... and he does a mass email to everyone
in the office !!!! hhahha I can see the hilarity now ..and production and
general office happiness would improve

So ll in all it looks like a great buisness tool to me , and possibly
one people would even pay for !

OPPORTUNITYS BEING MISSED

Hopefully some african 15 year using a shared internet connection
in his local library will read this , go away and write an extension , an
add
on , a adjustmnent ....either sell it put it out there and check his paypal
3 months later as the library connection was out of order ..only to fnd
its been dowload 65 million times an h has zillion squid from donations
as people will find it soooo useful , buisness or otherwise.
He will live on those funds for the rest of his life an his entire village
will be fed clothed and warm for the rest of their lives too , just because
he
spent a couple of days writing an extension for the most popular email
client on the earth

news:fnvkd9$7f3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Laserfink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
>> was the latest trend in email clients
>>
>> Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
>> all it basically is , is a OE clone

> But infinitely customisable with extensions.
>

>> No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
>> add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!

> See comment above
>

>> and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
>> or arriving email - addresses
>>
>> Jeex you would think this would be so simple and is
>> standard on mobile phones now YET i ahve been
>> searching for a couple of hours and cant come
>> with anything

> I think you must be the ONLY person in the universe who wants this,
> otherwise it would have been done.....remember, email started out, and is
> in the main, a BUSINESS tool.....

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Laserfink
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Outlook express , now theres a thing
>
> just about everyone i know who uses a computer uses it
> its bog standard with every windows system
>
> YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
> for years with very little updates to it
>
> Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

No, it's because Microsoft thinks it works well enough for THEIR needs,
and they won't fix it.

It's not because they are thinking about the way it works, how it needs
to work, or how it could work better -- they don't seem to care about
any of that.

But you don't seem to be able to consider that something else is
better, or has always been better. You're defending a product you use
by assuming no changes means it was already great.