Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > mmmm outlook express

mmmm outlook express

Laserfink

Outlook express , now theres a thing

just about everyone i know who uses a computer uses it
its bog standard with every windows system

YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
for years with very little updates to it

Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

Laserfink LM-PL

Laserfink

was just thinking , wouldnt it be great if you could assign
different sounds to different folders in OE , just done an
addon search , can find anything like that ...but thats
my point .. OE ..hasnt been given a funky new look
or makeover for years yet its got to be one of the most
popular software programmes on this planet

Gordon

"Laserfink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> was just thinking , wouldnt it be great if you could assign
> different sounds to different folders in OE , just done an
> addon search , can find anything like that ...but thats
> my point .. OE ..hasnt been given a funky new look
> or makeover for years yet its got to be one of the most
> popular software programmes on this planet

And there certainly won't be anything done (at least by MS) now, as it's
been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista.....

Laserfink

"been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "

ahhh .. never seen it

is it any good , can you configure different folders
with different sounds and a silent for spam ?

if so i would seriously consider upgrading !

Laserfink LM-PL

Gordon

"Laserfink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "
>
> ahhh .. never seen it
>
> is it any good , can you configure different folders
> with different sounds and a silent for spam ?
>
> if so i would seriously consider upgrading !

I don't know of ANY mail client that might do that - certainly in Outlook
you can assign a sound to a Rule, but whether you can assign a sound AND
move the item as well, I haven't investigated...

elaich

"Laserfink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:t4-

> YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
> for years with very little updates to it
>
> Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

Most people don't know there's anything better, or are too clueless to
change it.

Laserfink

Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
was the latest trend in email clients

Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
all it basically is , is a OE clone

No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!

and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
or arriving email - addresses

Jeex you would think this would be so simple and is
standard on mobile phones now YET i ahve been
searching for a couple of hours and cant come
with anything

Gordon

"Laserfink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Read about a bit , seemed like THUNDERBIRD
> was the latest trend in email clients
>
> Downloaded it from mozilla ... YAWN
> all it basically is , is a OE clone

But infinitely customisable with extensions.

> No doubt theres some extra features , and some decent
> add ons available but out of the box its pretty PLAIN!

See comment above

> and you cant allocate SOUNDS to different folders
> or arriving email - addresses
>
> Jeex you would think this would be so simple and is
> standard on mobile phones now YET i ahve been
> searching for a couple of hours and cant come
> with anything

I think you must be the ONLY person in the universe who wants this,
otherwise it would have been done.....remember, email started out, and is in
the main, a BUSINESS tool.....

richard

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:18:22 -0000, "Laserfink"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Outlook express , now theres a thing
>
>just about everyone i know who uses a computer uses it
>its bog standard with every windows system
>
>YET its looked and done virtually the same thing
>for years with very little updates to it
>
>Wonder why that is ... its its working dont break it ?

Gee really? How did it get up to version 6 then?
With vista though, you don't even get OE. Instead, they reverted back
to winmail, which I haven't even opened once yet.

David

news:fnvcsg$bsf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Laserfink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "been superceded by Windows Mail on Vista..... "
>>
>> ahhh .. never seen it

Can this Windows mail be used on XP?

--
Regards,