Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD/VHS Combo Units?

DVD/VHS Combo Units?

Ken Maltby

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>MAGNAVOX
>>MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now available at
>>online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the lowest price
>>item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
>>
>> I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I
>> put
>>the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard drive
>>for
>>editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and that was
>>that
>>although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was made on, it will
>>not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which is a Panasonic;
>>since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have just gone on with
>>it
>>and really did not resolve the issue. I am using DVD+R discs and have
>>heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R. I am doing my dubs
>>in
>>the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ; this limits the dubbed DVD
>>to about one hour of recording. Hope this is useful information.
>>
>>"Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that
>>will
>>record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
>>
>>Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
>>review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
>>Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
>>Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>>
>>I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
>>ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> So this problem carries on with DVDs too....
> Around 1997 I had a guy from work make backups of my whole computer on
> Cds. He put my hard drives in his computer and burned them. His
> computer / CD drive confirmed they were readable. When I later tried
> them, my CD drive could not read them. Since I moved to another
> state, and quit the job I had, I can no longer find this guy, and even
> if I didm he would be hundreds of miles away, and likely not have the
> same computer or cd drive. If I at least know what kind of burner he
> used I could try to find one thats the same model. Because of this,
> which seems to be a very common problem, I have never used CDs or DVDs
> for a backup. I just bought several hard drives and copy all the data
> to these harddrives. It's a little more hassle unplugging my cd
> drives so I can plug in these extra harddrives, but I know I have a
> reliable backup as long as I protect these harddrives. For quickie
> backups of individual stuff, I use flash memory sticks in between my
> full backups.
>
> Home burned CDs and DVDs have always had this problem. They have to
> be played on the original drive they were burned on, or they're

Are you nuts? You might have had some odd combination of
devices in the very beginning of home CD burning or the early
DVD format war efforts, that caused you some such issues.
For the rest of us data CDs couldn't be much more reliable,
PC to PC.

> I thought that DVDs may have overcome this problem but I see
> now they did not. I dont even own a CD or DVD burner. Why bother,
> it's false security for backups, and I have no reason to burn music
> cds or movies. My VCR works just fine for movies and I can transfer
> music on a flash stick.
>
> It's funny because I was just recently thinking about buying a DVD
> burner for backups, because I thought they were more reliable. I
> won't now.
>
> I'm still wondering if one of these data retrival companies could
> retrieve the data on those CDs. But being 10 years old, maybe I dont
> really need the stuff anymore. At the time I was running Windows 3.1
> and the only reason for the backup was because I installed Win95.
> Thank God I had all my photos on another computer

What, no 8-Track tapes?

I am an advocate for archiving data to Digital tape, but your
problems with Data CDs or DVDs not playing on any other
drives is a new one to me. I actually use CDs and DVDs to
transfer data and diagnostic programs whenever I help out
friends and neighbors, with their computer setups.

That there are sometimes compatibility issues between some
devices, even now a days, is not to say that you can't generally
expect that data burned on your PC will be readable on most
anyone else's PC.

Luck;
Ken

OnRequest

"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart:
>>MAGNAVOX MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now
>>available at online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the
>>lowest price item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
>>
>> I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I
>> put the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard
>> drive for editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and
>> that was that although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was
>> made on, it will not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which
>> is a Panasonic; since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have
>> just gone on with it and really did not resolve the issue. I am using
>> DVD+R discs and have heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R.
>> I am doing my dubs in the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ;
>> this limits the dubbed DVD to about one hour of recording. Hope this is
>> useful information.
>>
>> "Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that
>> will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
>>
>> Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of
>> the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several
>> at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
>> Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>>
>> I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
>> ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Are you finalizing the disks once copied from VHS to DVD? That's the firs
> tplace to start looking

Yes, the dubbed DVD+R discs made on the Magnavox combo player are finalized;
and they have to be finalized to be able to read them in my computer DVDRW
drive. When playing the disc in the other (Panasonic) DVD player it is
stuck at 'Reading' with yellow dots counting forward, and does not get past
that stage. I have also confirmed that the Panasonic player plays normal
DVD's just fine.

Di

Unless UDF format is being used?
I haven't used InCD or other similar programs for years, but back then UDF
could only be read on the pc they were created on.
That may have changed now of course although I have heard it is still the
case.

Ken Maltby wrote:
> I am an advocate for archiving data to Digital tape, but your
> problems with Data CDs or DVDs not playing on any other
> drives is a new one to me.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:16:17 -0500, "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice>
>wrote:

>Home burned CDs and DVDs have always had this problem. They have to
>be played on the original drive they were burned on, or they're
>useless. I thought that DVDs may have overcome this problem but I see
>now they did not. I dont even own a CD or DVD burner. Why bother,
>it's false security for backups, and I have no reason to burn music
>cds or movies. My VCR works just fine for movies and I can transfer
>music on a flash stick.

That a pretty blanket statement. You most likely had an old CD drive that
either couldnt read CDRW's or other similar issues. Also, if he used some sort
of backup program that used the UDF format and you didnt have a UDF reader
installed in your pc, that could have resulted in you not being able to read
them.

Ken Maltby

> Ken Maltby wrote:
>> I am an advocate for archiving data to Digital tape, but your
>> problems with Data CDs or DVDs not playing on any other
>> drives is a new one to me.

"Di" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unless UDF format is being used?
> I haven't used InCD or other similar programs for years, but back then UDF
> could only be read on the pc they were created on.
> That may have changed now of course although I have heard it is still the
> case.

You mean the "Universal Disk Format" could only be played
on the PC that created it? That would be news to a great many.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

"InCD" is another matter, your systems had to be setup to
work with the same packet writing scheme. Most of us
stayed away from that approach because it often caused
conflicts with the standard OS file handling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InCD

Luck;
Ken

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Di" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Unless UDF format is being used?
>I haven't used InCD or other similar programs for years, but back then UDF
>could only be read on the pc they were created on.
>That may have changed now of course although I have heard it is still the
>case.

Windows XP has a built in UDF reader driver. All one had to do is install
prior to XP, a driver easily downloadable from the internet that allowed
reading of UDF formatted disks

>Ken Maltby wrote:
>> I am an advocate for archiving data to Digital tape, but your
>> problems with Data CDs or DVDs not playing on any other
>> drives is a new one to me.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote:

>"UncleDave" <dhyndman(at)sasktel.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart:
>>>MAGNAVOX MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now
>>>available at online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the
>>>lowest price item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
>>>
>>> I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I
>>> put the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard
>>> drive for editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and
>>> that was that although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was
>>> made on, it will not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which
>>> is a Panasonic; since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have
>>> just gone on with it and really did not resolve the issue. I am using
>>> DVD+R discs and have heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R.
>>> I am doing my dubs in the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ;
>>> this limits the dubbed DVD to about one hour of recording. Hope this is
>>> useful information.
>>>
>>> "Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that
>>> will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
>>>
>>> Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of
>>> the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several
>>> at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
>>> Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>>>
>>> I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
>>> ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Are you finalizing the disks once copied from VHS to DVD? That's the firs
>> tplace to start looking

>Yes, the dubbed DVD+R discs made on the Magnavox combo player are finalized;
>and they have to be finalized to be able to read them in my computer DVDRW
>drive. When playing the disc in the other (Panasonic) DVD player it is
>stuck at 'Reading' with yellow dots counting forward, and does not get past
>that stage. I have also confirmed that the Panasonic player plays normal
>DVD's just fine.

DVD+R format was an afterthought. There was only ever going to be the DVD+RW
format from the + camp until they seen the immensly popular DVD-R format
taking off in popularity and use. So many early players that could handle
reading DVD-R or -RW's , couldn't read the +R format disks for playback.

The problem was sorta worked around when DVD+R burners started showing up that
could have their book identification changed at recording to be that of
a DVD-ROM format instead of the native +R book. Once the book was viewed by
the player as a DVD-ROM, many had no problems playing them on the older
players.

UCLAN

GMAN wrote:

> That a pretty blanket statement. You most likely had an old CD drive that
> either couldnt read CDRW's or other similar issues. Also, if he used some sort
> of backup program that used the UDF format and you didnt have a UDF reader
> installed in your pc, that could have resulted in you not being able to read
> them.

This thread no longer has *anything* to do with VCRs. Why is it being
crossposted to alt.video.vcr ??

--
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.

Di

I was referring to InCD in particular. Started using it years ago and soon
discovered how limited it uses were.
Cannot remember if I was running it unfder Win 95 or 98 but it seemed to
cause a load of problems with the OS too as you have mentioned.