Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD/VHS Combo Units?

DVD/VHS Combo Units?

Ernie Jones

I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.

I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.

Thanks!

Ernie

altcollect

On Jan 31, 10:03 pm, "Ernie Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>
> I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ernie

The Magnavox unit at Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest.
About $65.00. Not the best, but Wal-Mart has a liberal
return policy.

--
DVD CD Trader - Trading Lots
Buy Sell Trade DVDs CDs

Gomer Gooberman

I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.

Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.

I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.

Thanks!

Tarkus

Gomer Gooberman wrote:
> Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search
> of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good.

That's actually pretty good for an RCA product.

Judy N

"Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will
record from either of DVD or VHS to other.

Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.

I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.

Thanks!

Torture the old codger.

On Mar 7, 1:45 am, "Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
>
> Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>
> I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>
> Thanks!

I would seriously consider a separate dvd-hard drive unit and a good
quality used vcr. Apart from being simpler to use in many ways, such
a setup will be more reliable and will save you money in the longer
term. Those combo unts drop like flies and are nearly all flimsy
plastic mechanisms made at the lowest possible cost by the likes of
Funai. And when (not if), it dies, don't imagine you'll be able to get
it fixed down your local friendly neighbourhood repair shop, as for
many (if not all) such products, service documentation and parts are
non existent.

-B.

E. Barry Bruyea

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 00:45:57 GMT, "Gomer Gooberman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
>
>Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>
>I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>
>Thanks!

]

Most RCA Electronics are made by Thompson Industries, the King of Crap
and their warranties go right along with the term.

OnRequest

I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart: MAGNAVOX
MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now available at
online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the lowest price
item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.

I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I put
the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard drive for
editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and that was that
although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was made on, it will
not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which is a Panasonic;
since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have just gone on with it
and really did not resolve the issue. I am using DVD+R discs and have
heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R. I am doing my dubs in
the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ; this limits the dubbed DVD
to about one hour of recording. Hope this is useful information.

"Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will
record from either of DVD or VHS to other.

Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.

I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.

Thanks!

UncleDave

"OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart: MAGNAVOX
>MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now available at
>online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the lowest price
>item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
>
> I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I put
> the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard drive
> for editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and that
> was that although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was made on,
> it will not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which is a
> Panasonic; since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have just
> gone on with it and really did not resolve the issue. I am using DVD+R
> discs and have heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R. I am
> doing my dubs in the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ; this
> limits the dubbed DVD to about one hour of recording. Hope this is useful
> information.
>
> "Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that
> will record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
>
> Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
> review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
> Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
> Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>
> I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
> ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>
> Thanks!

Are you finalizing the disks once copied from VHS to DVD? That's the firs
tplace to start looking

litterbox@invalid.com

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:16:17 -0500, "OnRequest" <Onrequest@mychoice>
wrote:

>I am having good luck with a VCR-DVD combo set bought at Wal-Mart: MAGNAVOX
>MWR20V6 -- $148.93 + tax, last July 2007. I see them now available at
>online stores for a lot less money. At the time, it was the lowest price
>item I saw in any of the local electronic stores.
>
> I am using it to dub old VHS tapes to DVD and it has worked for me. I put
>the dubbed DVD into my computer and copy the .vob files to my hard drive for
>editing and making family videos. I did find one glitch, and that was that
>although the dubbed DVD will play in the Magnavox it was made on, it will
>not itself play in my other standalone DVD player which is a Panasonic;
>since I did not need it to play in a DVD player, I have just gone on with it
>and really did not resolve the issue. I am using DVD+R discs and have
>heard that Panasonics may have a problem with DVD+R. I am doing my dubs in
>the highest quality mode only, they call it HQ; this limits the dubbed DVD
>to about one hour of recording. Hope this is useful information.
>
>"Gomer Gooberman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has bought a unit recently that will
>record from either of DVD or VHS to other.
>
>Walmart has one RCA model with digital tuner for $148, but a search of the
>review sites shows 20% favorable postings - not good. I saw several at
>Circuit City the other day under $300, and quite a few under $200.
>Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and others.
>
>I'm not looking for the very best quality recording -- the main thing is
>ease of use since this will be for an elderly fellow.
>
>Thanks!

So this problem carries on with DVDs too....
Around 1997 I had a guy from work make backups of my whole computer on
Cds. He put my hard drives in his computer and burned them. His
computer / CD drive confirmed they were readable. When I later tried
them, my CD drive could not read them. Since I moved to another
state, and quit the job I had, I can no longer find this guy, and even
if I didm he would be hundreds of miles away, and likely not have the
same computer or cd drive. If I at least know what kind of burner he
used I could try to find one thats the same model. Because of this,
which seems to be a very common problem, I have never used CDs or DVDs
for a backup. I just bought several hard drives and copy all the data
to these harddrives. It's a little more hassle unplugging my cd
drives so I can plug in these extra harddrives, but I know I have a
reliable backup as long as I protect these harddrives. For quickie
backups of individual stuff, I use flash memory sticks in between my
full backups.

Home burned CDs and DVDs have always had this problem. They have to
be played on the original drive they were burned on, or they're
useless. I thought that DVDs may have overcome this problem but I see
now they did not. I dont even own a CD or DVD burner. Why bother,
it's false security for backups, and I have no reason to burn music
cds or movies. My VCR works just fine for movies and I can transfer
music on a flash stick.

It's funny because I was just recently thinking about buying a DVD
burner for backups, because I thought they were more reliable. I
won't now.

I'm still wondering if one of these data retrival companies could
retrieve the data on those CDs. But being 10 years old, maybe I dont
really need the stuff anymore. At the time I was running Windows 3.1
and the only reason for the backup was because I installed Win95.
Thank God I had all my photos on another computer