Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista keeps losing WEP Encryption key

Vista keeps losing WEP Encryption key

KlausK

I have a Linksys wireless n router and have 2 notebooks (XP) and one
notebook (vista), all of which use wireless connections to the router. I use
128 bit WEP encryption and the 2 XP notebooks have ZERO problem. However,
the Vista notebook keeps losing the encryption key and thus loses wireless
connection. If I re-enter the key, the wireless connection works but some
time later, the same problem happens again. What is going on? Thanks.

Barb Bowman

First, WEP is not safe. You should use WPA2 or at least WPA. For XP,
see http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893357

You may need a firmware upgrade for your Linksys router. What model,
hardware version and firmware are you using?

without seeing the text output of ipconfig /all (see
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/
) it is hard to diagnose.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Pavel A.

"KlausK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:47a2b1bf$0$25053$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Linksys wireless n router and have 2 notebooks (XP) and one notebook (vista), all of which use wireless connections to
>the router. I use 128 bit WEP encryption and the 2 XP notebooks have ZERO problem. However, the Vista notebook keeps losing the
>encryption key and thus loses wireless connection. If I re-enter the key, the wireless connection works but some time later,
>the same problem happens again. What is going on? Thanks.

Vista has a number of wireless issues.
For some, fixes or workarounds are available on the MS site.
If you wish to try the SP1 preview, it is available too, and should include all fixes known up to the date (but possibly, new
bugs as well....).

Regards,
--PA

Pavel A.

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista has a number of wireless issues.
> For some, fixes or workarounds are available on the MS site.
> If you wish to try the SP1 preview, it is available too, and should include all fixes known up to the date (but possibly, new
> bugs as well....).

Here is list of some known symptoms
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=932063

--PA

Barb Bowman

that KB is more applicable in an Enterprise environment, though and
the OP seems to be in the residential space.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
As mentioned before, you have to try to avoid using WEP.
Wireless hardware is so inexpensive that there is No reason to use old
devices that can not be secured adequately (WEP only devices are very old in
computer time terms).
In any case some times using the actual HEX string instead of the pass
phrase can alleviate WEP problems.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
Jack (MVP-Networking).