Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ContentPlaceHolder Control Names

ContentPlaceHolder Control Names

Scott M.

I'm noticing that what using a MasterPage with a ContentPlaceHolder that the
content page's controls don't render with the exact same name/id as I'm
giving them at design time. This is causing problems with client-side
scripts that I wish to write.

What can I do to ensure that the name I give the control is the name it
winds up rendering with?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

As for the control name get changed issue you mentioned, it is actually due
to the ASP.NET's NamingContainer which will mangle the actual ID of any sub
controls inside it. ContentPlaceHolder is such a NamingContainer so that it
will mangle the ID of sub controls in it(so as to avoid ID conflicting).

In ASP.NET, you can use the "ClientID" of control to get the identity that
will render at client-side. You can embed it in to your script.

#How-to use ClientIDs in JavaScript without the ugliness
http://blog.jagregory.com/2006/04/12...avascript-with
out-the-ugliness

#ASP.NET Client-Side Script FAQ

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: ContentPlaceHolder Control Names
>Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:57:43 -0500

>I'm noticing that what using a MasterPage with a ContentPlaceHolder that

the
>content page's controls don't render with the exact same name/id as I'm
>giving them at design time. This is causing problems with client-side
>scripts that I wish to write.
>
>What can I do to ensure that the name I give the control is the name it
>winds up rendering with?

Scott M.

Thanks Steven. That's just what I was looking for.

-Scott

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Scott,
>
> As for the control name get changed issue you mentioned, it is actually
> due
> to the ASP.NET's NamingContainer which will mangle the actual ID of any
> sub
> controls inside it. ContentPlaceHolder is such a NamingContainer so that
> it
> will mangle the ID of sub controls in it(so as to avoid ID conflicting).
>
> In ASP.NET, you can use the "ClientID" of control to get the identity that
> will render at client-side. You can embed it in to your script.
>
> #How-to use ClientIDs in JavaScript without the ugliness
> http://blog.jagregory.com/2006/04/12...avascript-with
> out-the-ugliness
>
> #ASP.NET Client-Side Script FAQ
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20041016.asp
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> ications.

> rights.
>

> --------------------
>>From: "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>Subject: ContentPlaceHolder Control Names
>>Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:57:43 -0500

>>I'm noticing that what using a MasterPage with a ContentPlaceHolder that

> the
>>content page's controls don't render with the exact same name/id as I'm
>>giving them at design time. This is causing problems with client-side
>>scripts that I wish to write.
>>
>>What can I do to ensure that the name I give the control is the name it
>>winds up rendering with?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------
>From: "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: ContentPlaceHolder Control Names
>Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:18:13 -0500

>Thanks Steven. That's just what I was looking for.
>
>-Scott
>
>"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> As for the control name get changed issue you mentioned, it is actually
>> due
>> to the ASP.NET's NamingContainer which will mangle the actual ID of any
>> sub
>> controls inside it. ContentPlaceHolder is such a NamingContainer so that
>> it
>> will mangle the ID of sub controls in it(so as to avoid ID conflicting).
>>
>> In ASP.NET, you can use the "ClientID" of control to get the identity

that
>> will render at client-side. You can embed it in to your script.
>>
>> #How-to use ClientIDs in JavaScript without the ugliness

http://blog.jagregory.com/2006/04/12...avascript-with
>> out-the-ugliness
>>
>> #ASP.NET Client-Side Script FAQ
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20041016.asp