Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > problems installing .64 bit

problems installing .64 bit

Iplant

Hi all...I am not seeing an answer to my problem in this N/G
....running Vista Home Prem on quad core HP...I upgraded this OEM to Ultimate
32 bit...(worked great) and now would like to play around with 64 bit. Tried
to upgrade from Ultimate 32 bit...I was aware that I would need to do a clean
install. The process started on the re-boot and froze at the point of
selecting drives.
There was a little error message saying if I want to use this key, I need to
be running genuine Windows...I rebuilt the OS back to OEM Home Prem...tried
again...same error...made sure I went out to get genuine valadition...same
error...any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Or perhaps ideas on
a work around?

Thanks As always, Karen

....always learning

Theo

Perhaps you could clarify a few things.

Are you trying to install a x64 Retail version or an OEM
version?

Are you deleting the previous 32-bit installation before you
attempt to install the 64-bit version?

Mostly it's a lack of definitive information as to what is
going on. Please be as detailed as you can.

Iplant wrote:
> Hi all...I am not seeing an answer to my problem in this N/G
> ...running Vista Home Prem on quad core HP...I upgraded this OEM to Ultimate
> 32 bit...(worked great) and now would like to play around with 64 bit. Tried
> to upgrade from Ultimate 32 bit...I was aware that I would need to do a clean
> install. The process started on the re-boot and froze at the point of
> selecting drives.
> There was a little error message saying if I want to use this key, I need to
> be running genuine Windows...I rebuilt the OS back to OEM Home Prem...tried
> again...same error...made sure I went out to get genuine valadition...same
> error...any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Or perhaps ideas on
> a work around?
>
> Thanks As always, Karen
>
> ...always learning

Iplant

Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's what
is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
Ultimate disk that I wish to install.

The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.

In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM to
Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to allow me
to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit version.

It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows you to
choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me that I
need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do have the
32 bit version and it is validated.

I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in order do
this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the purchased
disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.
--
always learning

"Theo" wrote:

> Perhaps you could clarify a few things.
>
> Are you trying to install a x64 Retail version or an OEM
> version?
>
> Are you deleting the previous 32-bit installation before you
> attempt to install the 64-bit version?
>
> Mostly it's a lack of definitive information as to what is
> going on. Please be as detailed as you can.
>

> Iplant wrote:
> > Hi all...I am not seeing an answer to my problem in this N/G
> > ...running Vista Home Prem on quad core HP...I upgraded this OEM to Ultimate
> > 32 bit...(worked great) and now would like to play around with 64 bit. Tried
> > to upgrade from Ultimate 32 bit...I was aware that I would need to do a clean
> > install. The process started on the re-boot and froze at the point of
> > selecting drives.
> > There was a little error message saying if I want to use this key, I need to
> > be running genuine Windows...I rebuilt the OS back to OEM Home Prem...tried
> > again...same error...made sure I went out to get genuine valadition...same
> > error...any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Or perhaps ideas on
> > a work around?
> >
> > Thanks As always, Karen
> >
> > ...always learning

Colin Barnhorst

First of all it is not an upgrade but a migration. Sounds like a fine
distinction, but it is not.

Just to be sure, you have booted the computer with the Vista x64 dvd, right?

"Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's
> what
> is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
> Ultimate disk that I wish to install.
>
> The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.
>
> In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM to
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to allow
> me
> to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit version.
>
> It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows you
> choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me that I
> need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do have
> the
> 32 bit version and it is validated.
>
> I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
> install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in order
> do
> this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the
> purchased
> disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.
> --
> always learning
>

> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you could clarify a few things.
>>
>> Are you trying to install a x64 Retail version or an OEM
>> version?
>>
>> Are you deleting the previous 32-bit installation before you
>> attempt to install the 64-bit version?
>>
>> Mostly it's a lack of definitive information as to what is
>> going on. Please be as detailed as you can.
>>

>> Iplant wrote:
>> > Hi all...I am not seeing an answer to my problem in this N/G
>> > ...running Vista Home Prem on quad core HP...I upgraded this OEM to
>> > Ultimate
>> > 32 bit...(worked great) and now would like to play around with 64 bit.
>> > Tried
>> > to upgrade from Ultimate 32 bit...I was aware that I would need to do a
>> > clean
>> > install. The process started on the re-boot and froze at the point of
>> > selecting drives.
>> > There was a little error message saying if I want to use this key, I
>> > need to
>> > be running genuine Windows...I rebuilt the OS back to OEM Home
>> > Prem...tried
>> > again...same error...made sure I went out to get genuine
>> > valadition...same
>> > error...any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Or perhaps
>> > ideas on
>> > a work around?
>> >
>> > Thanks As always, Karen
>> >
>> > ...always learning

Jane C

Hi Karen,

All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the existing
desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading from a 32 bit to
a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom install" option.
This should give you the opportunity to either install to a different
drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the current installation.

The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade can
actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP Windows Desktop Experience

"Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's
> what
> is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
> Ultimate disk that I wish to install.
>
> The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.
>
> In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM to
> Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to allow
> me
> to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit version.
>
> It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows you
> choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me that I
> need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do have
> the
> 32 bit version and it is validated.
>
> I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
> install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in order
> do
> this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the
> purchased
> disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.
> --
> always learning
>

> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you could clarify a few things.
>>
>> Are you trying to install a x64 Retail version or an OEM
>> version?
>>
>> Are you deleting the previous 32-bit installation before you
>> attempt to install the 64-bit version?
>>
>> Mostly it's a lack of definitive information as to what is
>> going on. Please be as detailed as you can.
>>

>> Iplant wrote:
>> > Hi all...I am not seeing an answer to my problem in this N/G
>> > ...running Vista Home Prem on quad core HP...I upgraded this OEM to
>> > Ultimate
>> > 32 bit...(worked great) and now would like to play around with 64 bit.
>> > Tried
>> > to upgrade from Ultimate 32 bit...I was aware that I would need to do a
>> > clean
>> > install. The process started on the re-boot and froze at the point of
>> > selecting drives.
>> > There was a little error message saying if I want to use this key, I
>> > need to
>> > be running genuine Windows...I rebuilt the OS back to OEM Home
>> > Prem...tried
>> > again...same error...made sure I went out to get genuine
>> > valadition...same
>> > error...any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Or perhaps
>> > ideas on
>> > a work around?
>> >
>> > Thanks As always, Karen
>> >
>> > ...always learning

Iplant

Hi Colin and Jane,

I have tried both methods to make this work, from the desktop and from the
dvd boot...the desktop tells me I need need to boot from the install media,
the boot DVD tells me I can only do a custom clean install (upgrade has been
disabled), lets me type the product key and at the next window that selects
the drive to install it on, it will not let me proceed. The yellow warning
message is this "To use the product key you entered, start the installation
on a computer that is running a genuine version of Vista." I double
checked...and went out to the site...the label indicates I am genuine...
--
always learning

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> First of all it is not an upgrade but a migration. Sounds like a fine
> distinction, but it is not.
>
> Just to be sure, you have booted the computer with the Vista x64 dvd, right?
>
> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's
> > what
> > is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
> > Ultimate disk that I wish to install.
> >
> > The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.
> >
> > In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM to
> > Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to allow
> > me
> > to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit version.
> >
> > It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows you
> > choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me that I
> > need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do have
> > the
> > 32 bit version and it is validated.
> >
> > I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
> > install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in order
> > do
> > this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the
> > purchased
> > disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.
> > --
> > always learning
> >

> > "Theo" wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps you could clarify a few things.
> >>
> >> Are you trying to install a x64 Retail version or an OEM
> >> version?
> >>
> >> Are you deleting the previous 32-bit installation before you
> >> attempt to install the 64-bit version?
> >>
> >> Mostly it's a lack of definitive information as to what is
> >> going on. Please be as detailed as you can.

Colin Barnhorst

Ah. Well you can't run from the desktop of a 32bit system because Vista x64
Setup is a 64bit program. As to "genuine version of Windows" the installed
Windows clearly failed validation. That is another issue.

Jane C

Scratch that reply - brain fade issue (

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP Windows Desktop Experience
"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Karen,
>
> All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the
> existing desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading from
> a 32 bit to a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom
> install" option. This should give you the opportunity to either install to
> a different drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the current
> installation.
>
> The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade can
> actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP Windows Desktop Experience

Colin Barnhorst

No, Jane. Vista x64 upgrade editions must start by booting from the dvd if
the legacy Windows is x86. X64 upgrade editions do not work like x86
upgrade editions which do require starting from the existing Windows
desktop, whether that desktop is x86 or x64.

The x64 Setup asks for the PK and if it is an upgrade edition PK then
searches the system for a qualifying installed Windows. If it finds one it
proceeds exactly as it would if it were a full edition PK. If you boot with
an x64 dvd and enter an upgrade edition PK you will NOT be blocked by "The
product key you entered requires you to install Windows from the existing
Windows."

That means that unlike the x86 upgrade editions, the x64 ones permit a true
clean install. This is because the user has booted with the dvd and the
disk tools are therefore available.

A custom install is required unless the installed Windows is upgradeable by
the new version. That means that if you have Vista Home Basic x64, Vista
Home Premium x64, or Vista Business x64 installed and you are installing
Vista Ultimate x64 the Upgrade option will be enabled too. Anything else
and only Custom will be enabled.

"Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Karen,
>
> All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the
> existing desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading from
> a 32 bit to a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom
> install" option. This should give you the opportunity to either install to
> a different drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the current
> installation.
>
> The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade can
> actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP Windows Desktop Experience
>
> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's
>> what
>> is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
>> Ultimate disk that I wish to install.
>>
>> The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.
>>
>> In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM to
>> Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to
>> allow me
>> to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit version.
>>
>> It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows you
>> choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me that
>> need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do have
>> the
>> 32 bit version and it is validated.
>>
>> I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
>> install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in order
>> do
>> this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the
>> purchased
>> disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.
>> --
>> always learning
>>

>> "Theo" wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps you could clarify a few things.
>>>
>>> Are you trying to install a x64 Retail version or an OEM
>>> version?
>>>
>>> Are you deleting the previous 32-bit installation before you
>>> attempt to install the 64-bit version?
>>>
>>> Mostly it's a lack of definitive information as to what is
>>> going on. Please be as detailed as you can.

Jane C

Karen, accept my apologies for my earlier reply - a case of brain fade
64 bit must be installed by booting from DVD. Why it won't allow your
upgrade edition key to be used I can't make head or tail of, as upgrading by
this method from a 32 bit to a 64 bit installation is certainly supported.
I wonder why it is not detecting that you already have a valid install?