Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > problems installing .64 bit

problems installing .64 bit

Dennis Pack

Iplant:
After you re-installed Vista 32-bit it has to be activated before it
will showup as genuine. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
Vista Enterprise x64, Office 2007

"Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Colin and Jane,
>
> I have tried both methods to make this work, from the desktop and from the
> dvd boot...the desktop tells me I need need to boot from the install
> media,
> the boot DVD tells me I can only do a custom clean install (upgrade has
> been
> disabled), lets me type the product key and at the next window that
> selects
> the drive to install it on, it will not let me proceed. The yellow
> warning
> message is this "To use the product key you entered, start the
> installation
> on a computer that is running a genuine version of Vista." I double
> checked...and went out to the site...the label indicates I am genuine...
> --
> always learning
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> First of all it is not an upgrade but a migration. Sounds like a fine
>> distinction, but it is not.
>>
>> Just to be sure, you have booted the computer with the Vista x64 dvd,
>> right?
>>
>> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's
>> > what
>> > is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
>> > Ultimate disk that I wish to install.
>> >
>> > The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.
>> >
>> > In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM
>> > Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to
>> > allow
>> > me
>> > to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit
>> > version.
>> >
>> > It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows
>> > you
>> > choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me
>> > that I
>> > need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do
>> > have
>> > the
>> > 32 bit version and it is validated.
>> >
>> > I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
>> > install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in
>> > order
>> > do
>> > this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the
>> > purchased
>> > disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.
>> > --
>> > always learning

Dennis Pack

Colin:
The upgrade scenerio is still as confusing as it was before RTM. It's
surprising that there aren't more posts with problems. Have a great day.

--
> [...]
> searches the system for a qualifying installed Windows. If it finds one
> it proceeds exactly as it would if it were a full edition PK. If you boot
> with an x64 dvd and enter an upgrade edition PK you will NOT be blocked by
> "The product key you entered requires you to install Windows from the
> existing Windows."
>
> That means that unlike the x86 upgrade editions, the x64 ones permit a
> true clean install. This is because the user has booted with the dvd and
> the disk tools are therefore available.
>
> A custom install is required unless the installed Windows is upgradeable
> by the new version. That means that if you have Vista Home Basic x64,
> Vista Home Premium x64, or Vista Business x64 installed and you are
> installing Vista Ultimate x64 the Upgrade option will be enabled too.
> Anything else and only Custom will be enabled.
>
> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Karen,
>>
>> All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the
>> existing desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading from
>> a 32 bit to a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom
>> install" option. This should give you the opportunity to either install
>> to a different drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the
>> current installation.
>>
>> The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade
>> can actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> MVP Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sorry...the PC came with Vista Home Preminum 32 bit installed...that's
>>> what
>>> is loaded on the PC right now. I have purchased retail Upgrade Vista
>>> Ultimate disk that I wish to install.
>>>
>>> The version I wanted to install was 64 bit.
>>>
>>> In the past, I have used the 32 disk to upgrade this Home preminum OEM
>>> Vista Ultimate 32 bit...this did work! However, it does not seem to
>>> allow me
>>> to upgrade the Home Preminum version 32 bit to a Ultimate 64 bit
>>> version.
>>>
>>> It does start the installation, and stops at the screen which allows you
>>> choose which hard drive the installation should be on. It tells me that
>>> need to have a genuine Windows copy running on the hard disk. I do have
>>> the
>>> 32 bit version and it is validated.
>>>
>>> I am assuming that I need to purchase a full retail copy of Vista and
>>> install the 64 bit version over my 32 OEM Home Preminum version in order
>>> do
>>> this type of upgrade. It seems a shame not to be able to use the
>>> purchased
>>> disk to upgrade to 64 bit...it wasn't cheap.

Iplant

Thanks all for the input...I did re-install Ultimate 32 bit and once again
got it re-activated...again...actually was rather quick...I also went out and
made sure I was genuine Windows Vista...got the seal of approval if you
will...ha...ha...but it still stops at the same point...does anyone have
suggestions where I might go to next?
--
always learning

"Jane C" wrote:

> Scratch that reply - brain fade issue (
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP Windows Desktop Experience
> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Karen,
> >
> > All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the
> > existing desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading from
> > a 32 bit to a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom
> > install" option. This should give you the opportunity to either install to
> > a different drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the current
> > installation.
> >
> > The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade can
> > actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.
> >
> > --
> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> > MVP Windows Desktop Experience

Dennis Pack

Iplant:
I haven't tried this since I'm running the Enterprise edition but it
should work. Boot the PC with the Vista x64 Ultimate disk in the drive,
don't enter a product key, on the next screen select Ultimate, continue and
complete the installation. After the installation is complete select
computer then select system properties from the tool bar, at the bottom
under "Windows activation" there should be a choice to "change product key",
then type in the upgrade product key. Have a great day.

--
Dennis Pack
XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
"Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks all for the input...I did re-install Ultimate 32 bit and once again
> got it re-activated...again...actually was rather quick...I also went out
> and
> made sure I was genuine Windows Vista...got the seal of approval if you
> will...ha...ha...but it still stops at the same point...does anyone have
> suggestions where I might go to next?
> --
> always learning
>

> "Jane C" wrote:
>
>> Scratch that reply - brain fade issue (
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> MVP Windows Desktop Experience
>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi Karen,
>> >
>> > All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the
>> > existing desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading
>> > from
>> > a 32 bit to a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom
>> > install" option. This should give you the opportunity to either install
>> > a different drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the
>> > current
>> > installation.
>> >
>> > The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade
>> > can
>> > actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>> > Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>> > MVP Windows Desktop Experience

Iplant

Your my hero Dennis...that seems to be doing the trick...thanks so much for
the help!
--
always learning

"Dennis Pack" wrote:

> Iplant:
> I haven't tried this since I'm running the Enterprise edition but it
> should work. Boot the PC with the Vista x64 Ultimate disk in the drive,
> don't enter a product key, on the next screen select Ultimate, continue and
> complete the installation. After the installation is complete select
> computer then select system properties from the tool bar, at the bottom
> under "Windows activation" there should be a choice to "change product key",
> then type in the upgrade product key. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
> Office Professional Plus 2007
> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks all for the input...I did re-install Ultimate 32 bit and once again
> > got it re-activated...again...actually was rather quick...I also went out
> > and
> > made sure I was genuine Windows Vista...got the seal of approval if you
> > will...ha...ha...but it still stops at the same point...does anyone have
> > suggestions where I might go to next?
> > --
> > always learning
> >

> > "Jane C" wrote:
> >
> >> Scratch that reply - brain fade issue (
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> >> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> >> MVP Windows Desktop Experience
> >> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

I have upgraded unactivated copies of XP to Vista using an upgrade edition
PK.

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Iplant:
> After you re-installed Vista 32-bit it has to be activated before it
> will showup as genuine. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> Vista Enterprise x64, Office 2007
> AMD Phenom 2.3
>
> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Colin and Jane,
>>
>> I have tried both methods to make this work, from the desktop and from
>> the
>> dvd boot...the desktop tells me I need need to boot from the install
>> media,
>> the boot DVD tells me I can only do a custom clean install (upgrade has
>> been
>> disabled), lets me type the product key and at the next window that
>> selects
>> the drive to install it on, it will not let me proceed. The yellow
>> warning
>> message is this "To use the product key you entered, start the
>> installation
>> on a computer that is running a genuine version of Vista." I double
>> checked...and went out to the site...the label indicates I am genuine...
>> --
>> always learning
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>>
>>> First of all it is not an upgrade but a migration. Sounds like a fine
>>> distinction, but it is not.
>>>
>>> Just to be sure, you have booted the computer with the Vista x64 dvd,
>>> right?
>>>
>>> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Yes it is. One has to keep x86 upgrade editions and x64 upgrade editions
completely separated when discussing them.

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin:
> The upgrade scenerio is still as confusing as it was before RTM. It's
> surprising that there aren't more posts with problems. Have a great day.
>
> --
> Dennis Pack
> Vista Enterprise x64, Office 2007
> AMD Phenom 2.3
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, Jane. Vista x64 upgrade editions must start by booting from the dvd
>> if the legacy Windows is x86. X64 upgrade editions do not work like x86
>> upgrade editions which do require starting from the existing Windows
>> desktop, whether that desktop is x86 or x64.
>>
>> The x64 Setup asks for the PK and if it is an upgrade edition PK then
>> searches the system for a qualifying installed Windows. If it finds one
>> it proceeds exactly as it would if it were a full edition PK. If you
>> boot with an x64 dvd and enter an upgrade edition PK you will NOT be
>> blocked by "The product key you entered requires you to install Windows
>> from the existing Windows."
>>
>> That means that unlike the x86 upgrade editions, the x64 ones permit a
>> true clean install. This is because the user has booted with the dvd and
>> the disk tools are therefore available.
>>
>> A custom install is required unless the installed Windows is upgradeable
>> by the new version. That means that if you have Vista Home Basic x64,
>> Vista Home Premium x64, or Vista Business x64 installed and you are
>> installing Vista Ultimate x64 the Upgrade option will be enabled too.
>> Anything else and only Custom will be enabled.
>>
>> "Jane C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Karen,
>>>
>>> All upgrades (using upgrade version media) must be started from the
>>> existing desktop, not by booting with the DVD. As you are upgrading
>>> from a 32 bit to a 64 bit version, you will have to perform the "custom
>>> install" option. This should give you the opportunity to either install
>>> to a different drive/partition, or to wipe out and install over the
>>> current installation.
>>>
>>> The current Windows version must be up and running so that the upgrade
>>> can actually check that you are in compliance for the upgrade.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
>>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
>>> MVP Windows Desktop Experience
>>>
>>> "Iplant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Further thought: I hope Windows 7 only comes out in one edition or at least
only one for consumers and one for businesses. Having both x86 and x64
editions complicates things enough.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...