Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File and Printer sharing

File and Printer sharing

tad1073

I need some help setting up my home network. Our main computer is running
Windows XP sp2, which is in the kitchen. My computer is a Linux machine,
Ubuntu 7.10, which is in my room. We have a D-link DI-624 wireless router and
I have set-up my AP and encryption type and am not using a static IP. Now I
need to figure out how to access my files and the printer on the XP machine.
I have "My Files" as shared, but it doesn't show up in "My Network Places" .
The printer is also shared.

On my Linux macnine I have Samba (SMB) which is a Windows share program. I
am using roaming mode so my IP address chaneges when the lease is up etc. etc.

I need to know how to set-up the XP machine so I can see "My Files" and the
printer from the Linux machine.
--
| Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
| Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
Card |