Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Memory cards...?

Memory cards...?

John Turco

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > John Turco wrote:
> >> Ron Hunter wrote:
> >>
> >> <edited for brevity>

> >> Hello, Ron:
> >>
> >> Actually, Kodak recommends against leaving a digicam on a dock (to keep
> >> its battery pack fully charged), indefinitely.
> >>

> >> Cordially,
> >> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > Only because the dock turns off, and removing the camera periodically is
> > necessary to maintain the charge.

> Unless of course you have one of those docks which does periodic
> recharges to save you the bother.

Hello, Chris:

Then, again, that may prove harmful to the battery pack's long term
health, perhaps? Personally, I only leave my Kodak digicams on their
respective models of docks (I own three of the latter items), long
enough for a full charge.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Randy Berbaum

"John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Then, again, that may prove harmful to the battery pack's long term
> health, perhaps? Personally, I only leave my Kodak digicams on their
> respective models of docks (I own three of the latter items), long
> enough for a full charge.

That is true. Most rechargable batteries will be weakened or their life
shortened by a constant charge. That is why many good chargers will sense
the charge level and shut off until the charge drops below a set level. But
many of the cheap docking stations do not include this circuit and thus may
not be good for constant charge.

The problem is that many people may use their camera at a very irregular
schedule. It may be days or months between uses and it is unknown, in
advance, when the next opportunity to use the camera will happen. So either
the battery needs to be on constant charge to maintain it at full charge in
the hope that it will be used before the constant charge damages the battery
beyond usability, or the battery needs to be charged, removed from charger
and hope that it will be used before the self discharge makes it unusable.

This is why I use rechargables for those times when I know I will be using
the camera regularly (vacation, etc) and stay with disposable batteries the
rest of the time. The "shelf life" of a disposable battery will allow the
camera to remain in the drawer for an extended period of time and still be
available for immediate use when opportunity strikes. Of course this may
also allow a camera that continues to draw a trickle of power even when the
camera is turned off to drain the battery while it is in storage. And the
older formulas of battery may leak or corrode the battery contacts when the
battry is drained. So what is used will depend on the personal use schedule
and preferences of the user. And sometimes a range of different "solutions"
can be used by a single user at different times to reflect the anticipated
use in the near future.

JMHO

Randy