Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 1200 photos/second...

1200 photos/second...

Alfred Molon

....from the Casio EX-F1, the fastest camera in the world. Even at full
resolution of 6MP it is capable of 60 images/second. No DSLR can match
this.
--

Alfred Molon

tomm42

On Jan 30, 6:34 pm, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ...from the Casio EX-F1, the fastest camera in the world. Even at full
> resolution of 6MP it is capable of 60 images/second. No DSLR can match
> this.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Sure DSLRs arren't designed to do this, no mirror and an electronic
shutter work wonders. For some stuff 60 fps isn't fast enough, then
you need a rotating mirror high speed camera. Now how do the results
compare to a high res Red Dot video camera? Without a serious rethink
of DSLR design, maybe a stationary mirror ala 1980's Canon, I doubt
you can get above 12 fps. The Casio seem right on the edge of what I
need to do eyelid blink studies. Thanks for the info.

Tom

David J Taylor

tomm42 wrote:
> Without a serious rethink
> of DSLR design, maybe a stationary mirror ala 1980's Canon, I doubt
> you can get above 12 fps. The Casio seem right on the edge of what I
> need to do eyelid blink studies. Thanks for the info.
>
> Tom

Film cameras have used mirrors for some time, and have no difficulty
working above 12fps.

David

Laszlo Lebrun

Alfred Molon wrote:
> ...from the Casio EX-F1, the fastest camera in the world. Even at full
> resolution of 6MP it is capable of 60 images/second. No DSLR can match
> this.

The latest John Deere tractor is capable of plowing 24 tracks up to 1,5
feet deep simultaneously, no Ferrari can match this.
Laszlo

-hh

Laszlo Lebrun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The latest John Deere tractor is capable of plowing 24 tracks
> up to 1,5 feet deep simultaneously, no Ferrari can match this.

Nicely said.

I don't know if it is the fastest or not, but the Vision Research
Phantom v12 does 6,315 fps at full resolution, and at partial frame
rates, now can hit one million frames/sec.

It is also available with an optional minimum shutter speed of 300ns.
Yes, "ns" means nanoseconds, not "ms" or even "žs". In conventional
camera terms, 300 ns is a shutter speed of 1/3,333,333 sec.

Of course, the VR cameras aren't exactly a 'consumer' camera in terms
of their price, but they are available to the public for purchase,
and they do take a standard Nikon lens mount .

These Phantoms are also not a new product: I used a VR Phantom 5
roughly a half decade ago. That was capable of up to ~95,000 partial
frames/sec; its minimum shutter speed was 2 žs (1/500,000sec).

-hh

Ali

Maybe someone should have told this guy. All that time and effort, when all
he needed was a Casio EX-F1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuyVz89AXg

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> ...from the Casio EX-F1, the fastest camera in the world. Even at full
> resolution of 6MP it is capable of 60 images/second. No DSLR can match
> this.

Robert Sneddon

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, -hh
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>I don't know if it is the fastest or not, but the Vision Research
>Phantom v12 does 6,315 fps at full resolution, and at partial frame
>rates, now can hit one million frames/sec.

I've been inside[1] a camera that was rated at 10 million frames/second
at its fastest speed. Very useful for taking pictures of stuff that was
moving fast. It also helped if the event being photographed was
self-illuminating (e.g. explosions)

[1] A hemispherical dome-shaped room covered on the inside with film
guide strips (60mm wide, I think) and a motorised multi-faceted mirror
system in the middle.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

-hh

Robert Sneddon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> *I've been inside[1] a camera that was rated at 10 million frames/second
> at its fastest speed. Very useful for taking pictures of stuff that was
> moving fast. It also helped if the event being photographed was
> self-illuminating (e.g. explosions)
>
> *[1] A hemispherical dome-shaped room covered on the inside with film
> guide strips (60mm wide, I think) and a motorised multi-faceted mirror
> system in the middle.

There were those and there were 'streak' cameras too, back in the
day. Digital is saving a lot of time and a lot of money. And you're
right: when the exposure times get really short, you need A LOT of
light. Nothing like going to a supervisor to ask them if you can tap
50A off of their 480VAC lines.

-hh