Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Running a softphone as a "windows service"

Running a softphone as a "windows service"

msg

Greetings:

Does anyone have experience with any Windows softphone running
it as a service using 'srvany.exe' (or other means)? The intent
is to permit the softphone to run before user logins and survive
logouts and to have GUI and user interaction on the screen.

Especially useful would be descriptions of doing this with
X-lite and Firefly. I have not begun experiments yet and hope
to gain some insights from others first.

Also, references to other products which may include the option
to run as a service would be helpful.

Regards,

Michael

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 01/31/2008 02:57 AM, msg wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with any Windows softphone running
> it as a service using 'srvany.exe' (or other means)? The intent
> is to permit the softphone to run before user logins and survive
> logouts and to have GUI and user interaction on the screen.
>
> Especially useful would be descriptions of doing this with
> X-lite and Firefly. I have not begun experiments yet and hope
> to gain some insights from others first.
>
> Also, references to other products which may include the option
> to run as a service would be helpful.

I have not checked Windows version, because I don't use Windows, but I
think, either the GTK2 or QT4 client of open source YATE version 2.0.x
software could be your best bet (see http://YATE.null.ro/).

Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

msg

Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

> On 01/31/2008 02:57 AM, msg wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have experience with any Windows softphone running
>> it as a service using 'srvany.exe' (or other means)? The intent
>> is to permit the softphone to run before user logins and survive
>> logouts and to have GUI and user interaction on the screen.
>>
>> Especially useful would be descriptions of doing this with
>> X-lite and Firefly. I have not begun experiments yet and hope
>> to gain some insights from others first.
>>
>> Also, references to other products which may include the option
>> to run as a service would be helpful.

> I have not checked Windows version, because I don't use Windows, but I
> think, either the GTK2 or QT4 client of open source YATE version 2.0.x
> software could be your best bet (see http://YATE.null.ro/).

Thanks for your reply; I had not looked at yate in awhile (I run asterisk)
but it looks like a fine project. Unfortunately the yate
for Windows runs only as an application out of the box.

Regards,

Michael

msg

msg wrote:

> Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
>
>> On 01/31/2008 02:57 AM, msg wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have experience with any Windows softphone running
>>> it as a service using 'srvany.exe' (or other means)? The intent
>>> is to permit the softphone to run before user logins and survive
>>> logouts and to have GUI and user interaction on the screen.
>>>
>>> Especially useful would be descriptions of doing this with
>>> X-lite and Firefly. I have not begun experiments yet and hope
>>> to gain some insights from others first.
>>>
>>> Also, references to other products which may include the option
>>> to run as a service would be helpful.

>> I have not checked Windows version, because I don't use Windows, but I
>> think, either the GTK2 or QT4 client of open source YATE version 2.0.x
>> software could be your best bet (see http://YATE.null.ro/).
>>

> Thanks for your reply; I had not looked at yate in awhile (I run asterisk)
> but it looks like a fine project. Unfortunately the yate
> for Windows runs only as an application out of the box.

Sorry, somehow a word got deleted from my post: I was writing:
'Unfortunately the yate client for Windows runs only as an application
out of the box'.

Michael