Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Two Networks

Two Networks

Jpoche

I'm not real sharp when it comes to computers, but I had my home laptop set
up for wireless internet. Yesterday, my computer wouldn't go online, so I
checked everything, couldn't find the problem so I put the D-Link disk in the
computer thinking that would solve my problem. When it finished I have two
wireless networks on my computer. The first one is the one that I was using,
but I'm unable to find the Network Key to tell my computer to use that
network. The second on it the newest one, "I guess my mistake" but it isn't
protected and internet explorer won't recognize it. Help! Can I get the
previous network key from the computer or how do I fix the new one with
security and telling the computer to recognize it?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Using "Blindly" the Disk can change important Network parameters can create
duplication that are not compatible.
It is hard to give you a direct answer since the term Network Key is not a
term that define something specific.
If you would reconfigure the Network manually the old Network would
disappear by itself after few boots.
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
If by Network Key you mean the Wireless Encryption key, then you need to
connect one computer to the Router with wire log to the Router (according to
the manual) and reconfigure a new key in the Wireless security menus.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Jpoche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not real sharp when it comes to computers, but I had my home laptop
> set
> up for wireless internet. Yesterday, my computer wouldn't go online, so I
> checked everything, couldn't find the problem so I put the D-Link disk in
> the
> computer thinking that would solve my problem. When it finished I have
> two
> wireless networks on my computer. The first one is the one that I was
> using,
> but I'm unable to find the Network Key to tell my computer to use that
> network. The second on it the newest one, "I guess my mistake" but it
> isn't
> protected and internet explorer won't recognize it. Help! Can I get the
> previous network key from the computer or how do I fix the new one with
> security and telling the computer to recognize it?

Jpoche

I'm sorry Jack, I guess I'm understanding. Is there a way to remove the two
networks that are already set up so that I can start over with this wireless
situation?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Using "Blindly" the Disk can change important Network parameters can create
> duplication that are not compatible.
> It is hard to give you a direct answer since the term Network Key is not a
> term that define something specific.
> If you would reconfigure the Network manually the old Network would
> disappear by itself after few boots.
> May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> If by Network Key you mean the Wireless Encryption key, then you need to
> connect one computer to the Router with wire log to the Router (according to
> the manual) and reconfigure a new key in the Wireless security menus.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Jpoche" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm not real sharp when it comes to computers, but I had my home laptop
> > set
> > up for wireless internet. Yesterday, my computer wouldn't go online, so I
> > checked everything, couldn't find the problem so I put the D-Link disk in
> > the
> > computer thinking that would solve my problem. When it finished I have
> > two
> > wireless networks on my computer. The first one is the one that I was
> > using,
> > but I'm unable to find the Network Key to tell my computer to use that
> > network. The second on it the newest one, "I guess my mistake" but it
> > isn't
> > protected and internet explorer won't recognize it. Help! Can I get the
> > previous network key from the computer or how do I fix the new one with
> > security and telling the computer to recognize it?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Usually by configuring correctly the Network with new names, the old one
goes away after few usages.
Otherwise switch Off the computer take out the network card (or disable it
in BIOS if it is onboard card) boot on e time with No netwrok card. Switch
Off insert (or switch On onboard) and configure a fresh network.