Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > windows media player monitored folders suck!!

windows media player monitored folders suck!!

Sir To You

WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.

I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.

Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
and...

http://tinyurl.com/2f48we

C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

This ****es me off, don't MS use their own software.

Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...

http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPl...y-wont-256358/

I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

noone@nospamyahoo.cnn

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:22 -0800 (PST), Sir To You <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.
>

>I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
>the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.
>
>Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
>and...
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2f48we
>
>C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
>IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
>AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
>
>This ****es me off, don't MS use their own software.
>
>Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...
>
>http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPl...y-wont-256358/
>
>I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

So why use it..?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sir To You" typed:
> WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.
>

> I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
> the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.
>
> Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
> and...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2f48we
>
> C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
> IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
> AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
>
> This ****es me off, don't MS use their own software.
>
> Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...
>
> http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPl...y-wont-256358/
>
> I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

I had to revert to an OS partition image pre-WMP 11 as it really messed with
my ability to play media files. (XP Pro.) Simply uninstalling it and
reverting to the previous version didn't do the job, neither did Windows
restore. The only way to be able to play DivX/xvid files was to delete the
OS partition and re-create it from an image.

WMP 11 is an abomination that will never get HDD space on any of my
computers again.

Simply my opinion of course, based on experience.
--
Shaun.

dilberts_left_nut

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sir To You" typed:
>> WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.
>>

>> I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
>> the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.
>>
>> Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
>> and...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2f48we
>>
>> C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
>> IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
>> AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
>>
>> This ****es me off, don't MS use their own software.
>>
>> Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...
>>
>> http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPl...y-wont-256358/
>>
>> I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

> I had to revert to an OS partition image pre-WMP 11 as it really messed with
> my ability to play media files. (XP Pro.) Simply uninstalling it and
> reverting to the previous version didn't do the job, neither did Windows
> restore. The only way to be able to play DivX/xvid files was to delete the
> OS partition and re-create it from an image.
>
> WMP 11 is an abomination that will never get HDD space on any of my
> computers again.
>
> Simply my opinion of course, based on experience.

On another (slightly related maybe..) note, my WMP10 has started playing
my vids upside down!
Don't know why, or care particularly, as I usually use VLC or Winamp
(which still work perfectly).

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Sir To
You did write:

> I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

Say one thing, do another...

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:22 -0800, Sir To You wrote:

> C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
> IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
> AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!
>
> This ****es me off, don't MS use their own software.

But of course you *still* willingly choose to be locked in to Micro$oft's
software - don't you.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

Dave Taylor

Sir To You <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c97480c0-546c-489a-941a-

> I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

I use Media Monkey.
The alternatives to WMP are better and they are free.

--
Ciao, Dave

Sir To You

On Jan 31, 9:05*pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:13:22 -0800, Sir To You wrote:
> > C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
> > IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
> > AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

> > This ****es me off, don't MS use their own software.

> But of course you *still* willingly choose to be locked in to Micro$oft's
> software - don't you.
>
> --
> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer
>
> Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
> was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

i use this to share folders to my xbox 360. not sure if there are too
many other options. maybe i will investigate.

the point is, that why don't ms sort this **** out? there are so many
damn annoying probs that would be so easy to fix in just a few hours.
Given microsoft own about 1 million progammers surely one of them
could be assigned to fixing annoyances .

Sir To You

On Jan 31, 6:30*pm, dilberts_left_nut <not@home> wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Sir To You" typed:
> >> WMP player 11 monitored folders don't work. I don't get it.

> >> I set my c:\users documents to be ignored. It is impossible to ignore
> >> the 'ripped' folder which i assume is another bug.

> >> Then , I clear the entire library. Later on , I check the library,
> >> and...

> >>http://tinyurl.com/2f48we

> >> C:\users\jed\pictures, contains pictures, but, the folder is set to
> >> IGNORE!!!! Microsoft, what does IGNORE MEAN? Does it mean , include?
> >> AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

> >> This ****es me off, don't MS use their own software.

> >> Then, I see I am not the only clown with this error...

> >>http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPl...y-wont-256358/

> >> I hate the wmp 11 folder management.

> > I had to revert to an OS partition image pre-WMP 11 as it really messed with
> > my ability to play media files. (XP Pro.) Simply uninstalling it and
> > reverting to the previous version didn't do the job, neither did Windows
> > restore. The only way to be able to play DivX/xvid files was to delete the
> > OS partition and re-create it from an image.

> > WMP 11 is an abomination that will never get HDD space on any of my
> > computers again.

> > Simply my opinion of course, based on experience.

> On another (slightly related maybe..) note, my WMP10 has started playing
> my vids upside down!
> Don't know why, or care particularly, as I usually use VLC or Winamp
> (which still work perfectly).- Hide quoted text -

i previously used vlc, but, The KMPlayer is much better than vlc.
Plays more formats (including that telecom flv ha ha it is great),
better f/forward/rewind control.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:49:30 -0800, Sir To You wrote:

>> But of course you *still* willingly choose to be locked in to
>> Micro$oft's software - don't you.
>>
>> --
>> Smoking Causes Lung Cancer
>>
>> Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
>> was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

> i use this to share folders to my xbox 360. not sure if there are too
> many other options. maybe i will investigate.
>
> the point is, that why don't ms sort this **** out? there are so many
> damn annoying probs that would be so easy to fix in just a few hours.
> Given microsoft own about 1 million progammers surely one of them could
> be assigned to fixing annoyances .

They _could_, but they don't want to. It is good enough for them.