Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 res.

800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 res.

catalyst

Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this webpage
shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 resoultions?
It happens that 800x600 is much larger than of 1400x...
it seems html table aren't stretching so good.As i'm a newbie in css too,
how's stretching with css in this various resolutions? Is there any aid?

Thanks.
c.

mrcakey

"catalyst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fnqi66$jud$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this webpage
> shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 resoultions?
> It happens that 800x600 is much larger than of 1400x...
> it seems html table aren't stretching so good.As i'm a newbie in css too,
> how's stretching with css in this various resolutions? Is there any aid?
>
> Thanks.
> c.

I'll get slapped, but the simplest way is to creat a "container" div of
fixed width (or preferably max-width but IE<7 doesn't understand that) and
put your content inside that div.

+mrcakey

Nico Schuyt

catalyst wrote:
> Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this
> webpage shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050
> resoultions? It happens that 800x600 is much larger than of 1400x...
> it seems html table aren't stretching so good.As i'm a newbie in css
> too, how's stretching with css in this various resolutions? Is there
> any aid?

Not sure what you mean: do you want a table with the same width (in px)
in any resolution or a table that 'stretches'?
Compare <table style="width: 100%"> with <table style="width: 500px">

--
Nico

Harlan Messinger

catalyst wrote:
> Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this webpage
> shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 resoultions?
> It happens that 800x600 is much larger than of 1400x...
> it seems html table aren't stretching so good.As i'm a newbie in css too,
> how's stretching with css in this various resolutions? Is there any aid?

Since you haven't shown us what you're doing or in what way it isn't
behaving as you expect, an answer will be impossible unless a psychic
comes along.

Besides that, the screen resolution is absolutely irrelevant since (a)
you don't know how large the browser window is and (b) as far as you
know one user has 1400 x 1050 on a 13" (33cm) screen and is sitting half
a meter away while another has 1024 x 768 on a two-meter projection
screen and is sitting 5 meters away.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

catalyst wrote:

> Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this webpage
> shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 resoultions?

None of the above. All of the above.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

My monitor is 1680x1050, and I have two browser windows open
side-by-each. Or one browser and some other application, maybe my web
page editor. Screen resolution is unimportant. Think of mobile phones
and PDAs, too. You site (if a general site) should work on all of them.

> It happens that 800x600 is much larger than of 1400x...

Hmmmm?

> it seems html table aren't stretching so good.As i'm a newbie in css
> too, how's stretching with css in this various resolutions? Is there
> any aid?

Are you planning to use tables for layout?
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

http://htmldog.com/guides/cssbeginner/

--
-bts

mrcakey

news:l15oj.518957$(E-Mail Removed)...
> catalyst wrote:
>
>> Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this
>> webpage
>> shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 resoultions?

> None of the above. All of the above.
> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

Is it me or are you advocating adding browser-sniffing JavaScript to support
Netscape, a browser with approximately 0.5% of the market?

> My monitor is 1680x1050, and I have two browser windows open
> side-by-each. Or one browser and some other application, maybe my web
> page editor. Screen resolution is unimportant. Think of mobile phones
> and PDAs, too. You site (if a general site) should work on all of them.

No it shouldn't. It should work on the platforms he chooses to market to.

+mrcakey

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mrcakey wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> catalyst wrote:
>>> Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this
>>> webpage shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050
>>> resoultions?

>> None of the above. All of the above.
>> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

> Is it me or are you advocating adding browser-sniffing JavaScript to
> support Netscape, a browser with approximately 0.5% of the market?

Why would you think that? I certainly don't care about Netscape (the
old ones). I would never use browser sniffing. If you were referring to
the part "Non-compliant browser detection" on that page, that was
written when NS4 had more of an audience.

>> My monitor is 1680x1050, and I have two browser windows open
>> side-by-each. Or one browser and some other application, maybe my
>> web page editor. Screen resolution is unimportant. Think of mobile
>> phones and PDAs, too. Your site (if a general site) should work on
>> all of them.

> No it shouldn't. It should work on the platforms he chooses to
> market to.

I see more and more people these days browsing the web from small screen
devices. Don't they have money too?

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Harlan Messinger

mrcakey wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l15oj.518957$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> catalyst wrote:
>>
>>> Hi! I'making a webpage in html+style in css. How to make that this
>>> webpage
>>> shows similar in all this 800x600, 1024x768...1400x1050 resoultions?

>> None of the above. All of the above.
>> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

> Is it me or are you advocating adding browser-sniffing JavaScript to support
> Netscape, a browser with approximately 0.5% of the market?
>
>> My monitor is 1680x1050, and I have two browser windows open
>> side-by-each. Or one browser and some other application, maybe my web
>> page editor. Screen resolution is unimportant. Think of mobile phones
>> and PDAs, too. You site (if a general site) should work on all of them.

> No it shouldn't. It should work on the platforms he chooses to market to.

You mean there are people who come to marketing meetings and say, "Our
market shows us that our high-tech molded bicycle seats are popular in
the 1400x1050 pixel, 15- to 17-inch screen, maximized browser community,
but Brand X seats sell better in the 1024x768 pixel, 19-inch,
browser-occupies-only-part-of-the-screen community"?

Harlan Messinger

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> mrcakey wrote:
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:l15oj.518957$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> None of the above. All of the above.
>>> http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

>> Is it me or are you advocating adding browser-sniffing JavaScript to
>> support Netscape, a browser with approximately 0.5% of the market?
>>
>>> My monitor is 1680x1050, and I have two browser windows open
>>> side-by-each. Or one browser and some other application, maybe my web
>>> page editor. Screen resolution is unimportant. Think of mobile phones
>>> and PDAs, too. You site (if a general site) should work on all of them.

>> No it shouldn't. It should work on the platforms he chooses to market
>> to.

> You mean there are people who come to marketing meetings and say, "Our
> market shows us that our high-tech molded bicycle seats are popular in
> the 1400x1050 pixel, 15- to 17-inch screen, maximized browser community,
> but Brand X seats sell better in the 1024x768 pixel, 19-inch,
> browser-occupies-only-part-of-the-screen community"?

Besides that, I'm curious why people who are so sure that it isn't worth
building a more flexible design now don't see why it's even less worth
building a design that will require a complete overhaul when the
resolutions are even higher a few years from now. I'm thinking about the
people who built fixed designs that worked at 800 x 600 several years
ago and now have a presentation that can't be read on screens with twice
the pixels in each dimension (text too small or columns too narrow) and
that create increasing frustration as more and more users try to access
them (because they see no reason why they shouldn't be able to after
having shelled out the money for the capability) on cell phones.

Ben C

On 2008-01-30, Harlan Messinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> mrcakey wrote:

[...]
>> No it shouldn't. It should work on the platforms he chooses to market to.

> You mean there are people who come to marketing meetings and say, "Our
> market shows us that our high-tech molded bicycle seats are popular in
> the 1400x1050 pixel, 15- to 17-inch screen, maximized browser community,
> but Brand X seats sell better in the 1024x768 pixel, 19-inch,
> browser-occupies-only-part-of-the-screen community"?

People say much stranger things than that in marketing meetings.