Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > creating a thread - which includes?

creating a thread - which includes?

Lars Uffmann

I managed to find examples about wrapping a class around threads, that
were using thread_create(...) - now I cannot find that macro defined
anywhere, apparently it expands e.g. to the use of pthread_create (...)
on some POSIX-systems, and to _beginthread (...) (???) on Windows
systems. But what on earth is the library that has this function /
macro? Is that part of the standard c++?

Any help appreciated, google really doesn't like to give a sufficient
answer to this - at least not on the first couple of hits...

Best Regards,

Lars

Alf P. Steinbach

* Lars Uffmann:
> I managed to find examples about wrapping a class around threads, that
> were using thread_create(...) - now I cannot find that macro defined
> anywhere, apparently it expands e.g. to the use of pthread_create (...)
> on some POSIX-systems, and to _beginthread (...) (???) on Windows
> systems. But what on earth is the library that has this function /
> macro? Is that part of the standard c++?
>
> Any help appreciated, google really doesn't like to give a sufficient
> answer to this - at least not on the first couple of hits...

Forget it, try <url: http://www.boost.org/doc/html/boost/thread.html>.

Cheers, & hth.,

- ALf

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

Lars Uffmann

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> Forget it,

Now THAT was encouraging ;p

> try <url: http://www.boost.org/doc/html/boost/thread.html>.
> Cheers, & hth.,

Well, I guess I'll have to start reading up on what that mysterious
"boost" library is that you guys keep mentioning and using...

Ya, I guess that will help.

Thanks & I'm off for carneval

Alaaf!

Lars