Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > SAVE HD-DVD Almost 32,000 signed and counting.

SAVE HD-DVD Almost 32,000 signed and counting.

Robb

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?SAVEHDD

Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.

I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
I'm all for multi formats.

Tarkus

Robb wrote:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?SAVEHDD
>
> Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
>
> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.

Yes we do. Competition among manufacturers and studios. Not
competition among formats, where people take a wait and see attitude,
because they don't want to be stuck with a doorstop.

> I'm all for multi formats.

Yeah, it worked so well for DVD-A and SACD.

Jer

Robb wrote:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?SAVEHDD
>
> Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
>
> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
> I'm all for multi formats.

Hate to rain on your parade but....

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

godslabrat@gmail.com

On Jan 30, 9:03*am, "Robb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
> I'm all for multi formats.

Yeah, since DVD was the only game in town, it was clearly a miserable
failure.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com

Agent_C

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:03:27 GMT, "Robb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm all for multi formats.

What are you; some kind of a moron???

A_C

Tarkus

Agent_C wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:03:27 GMT, "Robb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm all for multi formats.

> What are you; some kind of a moron???

Was that a rhetorical question?

Richard C.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jan 30, 9:03 am, "Robb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
> I'm all for multi formats.

Yeah, since DVD was the only game in town, it was clearly a miserable
failure.

===============================
And DVD only REALLY took off when DivX died!

Neill Massello

Robb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.

In the marketplace, the only signatures that count are those on checks
and credit card slips. Had those appeared on more HD DVD disc purchases
over the past two years, the format war might look different now. In any
case, it's pretty much over except for Toshiba's formal surrender. The
bulk of the computer and consumer electronics industries had already
chosen Blu-ray. The 2007 sales figures for high def discs [1] tipped
Warner, and Warner's decision has now tipped consumers decisively.

HD DVD's only real advantage, lower media manufacturing costs, never
showed up at the retail level; and consumers knew that they only had to
wait a while for the hardware prices to drop. Had Toshiba made players
available for less than $200 during the Christmas 2006 buying season, HD
DVD _might_ have been able to achieve a quick victory -- the only way it
could have won this war.

[1] <http://www.digitaltvnews.net/content/?p=2249>

Derek Janssen

Jer wrote:
> Robb wrote:
>
>> http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?SAVEHDD
>>
>> Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
>>
>> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
>> I'm all for multi formats.
>>

> Hate to rain on your parade but....
>
> http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp

One Wired columnist, however, has now gone public with the National
Metaphor for Toshiba/HD's current state:
http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/...d-dvd-its.html

Derek Janssen (why not, everyone ELSE was using it)

Mark Jones

Robb wrote:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ed.cgi?SAVEHDD
>
> Almost 32,000 signatures. Really quite alot more than I expected.
>
> I signed it what the hell, competition is good and we need it.
> I'm all for multi formats.

You save it by buying the players and discs, not by signing some
stupid petition.