Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Small font on web pages.

Small font on web pages.

Chaddy2222

Hi all.
This site:
http://www.jwam.com.au/
Is it just me or is the font-size on this site just a little small too
actually read.

John Hosking

Chaddy2222 wrote:
> Hi all.
> This site:
> http://www.jwam.com.au/
> Is it just me or is the font-size on this site just a little small too
> actually read.

No, both you *and* the Web site are hard to read.

The designers of the site (which is a site for designers) have quite
cleverly used low-contrast dark-gray-on-light-gray for their miniature
text, not counting where they've used blurry (non-resizeable) images for
it. How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
message across...

--
John
Read about the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

Chaddy2222

On Jan 30, 11:57*pm, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Chaddy2222 wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > This site:
> >http://www.jwam.com.au/
> > Is it just me or is the font-size on this site just a little small too
> > actually read.

> No, both you *and* the Web site are hard to read.

Yeah but at leat my websites arn't.

> The designers of the site (which is a site for designers) have quite
> cleverly used low-contrast dark-gray-on-light-gray for their miniature
> text, not counting where they've used blurry (non-resizeable) images for
> it. How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?
>
> These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
> message across... *

I think the question needs to be asked, how the hell do they expect to
get any kind of message across with a site that is so un-readible?!.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Chaddy2222:

> I think the question needs to be asked, how the hell do they expect to
> get any kind of message across with a site that is so un-readible?!.

The obvious explanation is that they haven't got a clue and aren't
really thinking in terms of communication but self-expression.

On the other hand, they do get a message across. It's a fairly strong
message actually. Just as you would get a message across if you had the
habit of whispering so that people cannot hear you (or would need to
listen to you extremely carefully) or spitting people on the face.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:16:47 GMT
Chaddy2222 scribed:

> On Jan 30, 11:57*pm, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Chaddy2222 wrote:
>> > Hi all.
>> > This site:
>> >http://www.jwam.com.au/
>> > Is it just me or is the font-size on this site just a little small too
>> > actually read.

>> No, both you *and* the Web site are hard to read.

> Yeah but at leat my websites arn't.
>

>> The designers of the site (which is a site for designers) have quite
>> cleverly used low-contrast dark-gray-on-light-gray for their miniature
>> text, not counting where they've used blurry (non-resizeable) images for
>> it. How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?
>>
>> These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
>> message across... *
>>

> I think the question needs to be asked, how the hell do they expect to
> get any kind of message across with a site that is so un-readible?!.

They believe the aesthetics of the design are what's most important, and,
of course, that isn't true. It's a site which will be mostly ignored -
even by possible customers.

--
Neredbojias
Riches are their own reward.

Bergamot

John Hosking wrote:
> Chaddy2222 wrote:
>> http://www.jwam.com.au/

> How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

What "FOLIO" link?

> These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
> message across...

Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.

--
Berg

Chaddy2222

On Jan 31, 8:36*am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Hosking wrote:
> > Chaddy2222 wrote:
> >>http://www.jwam.com.au/

> > How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

> What "FOLIO" link?
>
> > These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
> > message across... *

> Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
> in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
> spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.

But they are in marketing, which means that they need to communicate a
message in order generally speaking to sell products, or to promote an
event.
But if the marketing people do not understand the medium they are
working with then how do they expect to do well with communicating the
message.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
m>,
Chaddy2222 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 8:36*am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > John Hosking wrote:

> > > How about that "FOLIO" link, eh?

> > What "FOLIO" link?
> >
> > > These are advertising & marketing folks, specialized in getting a
> > > message across... *

> > Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
> > in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
> > spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.
> >

> But they are in marketing, which means that they need to communicate a
> message in order generally speaking to sell products, or to promote an
> event.
> But if the marketing people do not understand the medium they are
> working with then how do they expect to do well with communicating the
> message.

It works like this Chaddy, if a company is big enough or lucky
enough to have a chunk of market and people want your products
(due to past successes), they will work harder to get them and
the company does not have to try so hard. It is a short term
viable, but not long term.

--
dorayme

F F

Its not you.It is too small.

http://www.frogylady.com

Chaddy2222

On Jan 31, 1:23*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)
> m>,
>

> *Chaddy2222 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > What "FOLIO" link?

> > > Too bad the message is unreadable, but then maybe it doesn't have to be
> > > in their case. If they are a big name firm, they'll get business in
> > > spite of any usability or accessibility problems with their site.

> > But they are in marketing, which means that they need to communicate a
> > message in order generally speaking to sell products, or to promote an
> > event.
> > But if the marketing people do not understand the medium they are
> > working with then how do they expect to do well with communicating the
> > message.

> It works like this Chaddy, if a company is big enough or lucky
> enough to have a chunk of market and people want your products
> (due to past successes), they will work harder to get them and
> the company does not have to try so hard. It is a short term
> viable, but not long term.

Yes, I do understand that.
But they offer web design services (hence what I wrote about
understanding the medium you are working with).