Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Perpetual Vista reboot on start-up

Reply
Thread Tools

Perpetual Vista reboot on start-up

 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
freezes, and the machine reboots.

Here's the hardware situation:
-Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
-4gb Corsair DDR2
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
-GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
-WD 160gb IDE HDD
-WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
-SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
-Logisys 480W PSU

The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.

What is going on here?!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Theo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
Did you do a completely CLEAN install on the new
motherboard? If not, then that's what you need to do.


Mike wrote:
> It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
> to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
> freezes, and the machine reboots.
>
> Here's the hardware situation:
> -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
> -4gb Corsair DDR2
> -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
> -WD 160gb IDE HDD
> -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
> -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
> -Logisys 480W PSU
>
> The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
> the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
> CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
> I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
> solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.
>
> What is going on here?!
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
R. C. White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
Hi, Mike.

Theo's right.

Windows or Vista doesn't know the difference between (a) moving its HD to a
different computer and (b) leaving the HD in place while replacing the mobo
under it. In either case, you are taking an installation that Setup
customized to fit your DFI configuration and asking it to run in the
Gigabyte environment. It would be like when you wake up in your new house
the first morning after you move. Your coffeemaker still works fine, but
the kitchen is no longer where you remember it.

I went through this once with WinXP and just once, at the very beginning,
with Vista. As soon as Vista RTM arrived for beta testers in November 2006,
I installed it on my EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo/AMD 64 3200+ rig. Then I bought and
assembled my new rig in December, with the EPoX MF570sli AM2 mobo with
nVidia 570 chipset and AMD 64 X2 5000+, still using my old (nearly-new SATA
II) hard drives. Then I clean-installed Vista Ultimate x64 RTM on the new
rig and it has been running very well ever since. ;<)

With WinXP, changing mobo/chipset always required an "in-place upgrade"
(also known as a "repair install"), whether WinXP was moved into a new case
or the new mobo was installed in the old case. Either way, Setup had to run
again to re-configure the installed operating system to fit the new
environment. With Vista, we have to do essentially the same thing, but the
procedure is slightly different. Since I did a clean install, I haven't
actually been through the new process, but I've read about it. (I'm just
one guy with one computer, so I don't get to experiment with a lot of
different machines like many MVPs and other users do.)

With your new environment configured the way you want it, boot from the
Vista DVD-ROM and choose its "Repair your Computer" option. For details,
Google for "repair install" + vista. The first hit I got (of over 80,000)
was MVP John Barnett's page:
Windows Vista Repair Options
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm

Good luck. And please report back for the benefit of others with similar
questions. In a newsgroup, we all learn from each other.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it
> trys
> to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
> freezes, and the machine reboots.
>
> Here's the hardware situation:
> -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
> -4gb Corsair DDR2
> -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
> -WD 160gb IDE HDD
> -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
> -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
> -Logisys 480W PSU
>
> The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
> the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared
> the
> CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same
> thing.
> I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't
> find a
> solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.
>
> What is going on here?!


 
Reply With Quote
 
mikeyhsd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
instead of a CLEAN install, try an IN PLACE upgrade to refresh vista to the new motherboard.




(E-Mail Removed)



"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
freezes, and the machine reboots.

Here's the hardware situation:
-Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
-4gb Corsair DDR2
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
-GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
-WD 160gb IDE HDD
-WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
-SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
-Logisys 480W PSU

The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.

What is going on here?!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
A Vista in-place upgrade is run by starting Setup from the desktop of the afflicted machine. That means that the desktop must be stable because Setup is running within the Vista environment to be repaired. The OP states that "Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys to start up."
"mikeyhsd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
instead of a CLEAN install, try an IN PLACE upgrade to refresh vista to the new motherboard.




(E-Mail Removed)



"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
freezes, and the machine reboots.

Here's the hardware situation:
-Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
-4gb Corsair DDR2
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
-GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
-WD 160gb IDE HDD
-WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
-SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
-Logisys 480W PSU

The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.

What is going on here?!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Theo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
Windows Vista Repair Options

Windows Vista does not contain a Recovery Console, therefore
doing a repair install like that we are familiar with in
Windows XP is not possible. Instead, if you need to replace
the operating system, you either have to re-install Vista
from scratch, or else re-image the drive from a backup
source created using the Windows Vista Backup Status and
Configuration application. this then effectively replaces
the current copy of Windows Vista with a shadow copy you
backed up previously.

This backup option is the only one provided by Windows
Vista. of course there are other ways of imaging your hard
drive, but these require the user to purchase a third party
application.

Of course, re-imaging is one option. If, however, you are
simply experiencing startup problems or perhaps you cannot
readily access your system and need to do a system restore,
then you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your
Computer options.

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether
you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your
operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.


Mike wrote:
> It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
> to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
> freezes, and the machine reboots.
>
> Here's the hardware situation:
> -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
> -4gb Corsair DDR2
> -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
> -WD 160gb IDE HDD
> -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
> -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
> -Logisys 480W PSU
>
> The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
> the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
> CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
> I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
> solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.
>
> What is going on here?!
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
My biggest fear was that I was going to have to do a clean install. Is it
even possible for me to do an in-place upgrade since I can't even load
windows?

I will make sure to document my experience no matter what the outcome..

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> instead of a CLEAN install, try an IN PLACE upgrade to refresh vista to the new motherboard.
>
>
>
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
>
>
> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
> to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
> freezes, and the machine reboots.
>
> Here's the hardware situation:
> -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
> -4gb Corsair DDR2
> -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
> -WD 160gb IDE HDD
> -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
> -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
> -Logisys 480W PSU
>
> The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
> the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
> CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
> I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
> solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.
>
> What is going on here?!
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
No, its not.

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My biggest fear was that I was going to have to do a clean install. Is it
> even possible for me to do an in-place upgrade since I can't even load
> windows?
>
> I will make sure to document my experience no matter what the outcome..
>
> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
>> instead of a CLEAN install, try an IN PLACE upgrade to refresh vista to
>> the new motherboard.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>>
>>
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as
>> it trys
>> to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling
>> bar
>> freezes, and the machine reboots.
>>
>> Here's the hardware situation:
>> -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
>> -4gb Corsair DDR2
>> -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
>> -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
>> -WD 160gb IDE HDD
>> -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
>> -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
>> -Logisys 480W PSU
>>
>> The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement
>> is
>> the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios,
>> cleared the
>> CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same
>> thing.
>> I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't
>> find a
>> solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.
>>
>> What is going on here?!
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Carlos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
Mike,
Switching motherboards definitely calls for a fresh install.
Before doing that you will surely want to recover all your important
documents that may be now inaccessible.
If such is the case, two items would be necessary:
1.- A spare hard disk (for backing up your documents)
2.- A bootable OS in CD (a "Live CD"). Choose whatever distribution you
like: XP-lite, Linux, etc.
Plug in (computer in power off state) your spare drive, turn on your
computer, place the bootable OS CD in the drive and boot.
If your documents to be saved fit into an USB pen drive you might try that
instead of the hard disk alternative.
If your motherboard supports booting from USB you might try a bootable USB OS.
(www.bootdisk.com).
Save all your info and then you will be good to go with the Vista fresh
install.
Carlos

"Mike" wrote:

> It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
> to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
> freezes, and the machine reboots.
>
> Here's the hardware situation:
> -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
> -4gb Corsair DDR2
> -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
> -WD 160gb IDE HDD
> -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
> -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
> -Logisys 480W PSU
>
> The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
> the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
> CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
> I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
> solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.
>
> What is going on here?!
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2008
I have my 160gb SATA drive partitioned to give only 60gb to Windows and the
other half is my "Video" drive. My 160gb IDE drive is my dedicated "Media"
drive where I have moved My Documents and all that stuff. The only PITA thing
about reformatting my Windows partition is reinstalling all my programs and
getting all the settings just how I like them. I'd like to avoid this if
possible..

I do have a custom bootable Norton Ghost utility. I can boot from the CD and
do a Partition-to-Image and save it on my extra drives. But how will this fix
anything regarding my startup issue? It will just put the problematic
registry and other entries back together when I restore it..

"Carlos" wrote:

> Mike,
> Switching motherboards definitely calls for a fresh install.
> Before doing that you will surely want to recover all your important
> documents that may be now inaccessible.
> If such is the case, two items would be necessary:
> 1.- A spare hard disk (for backing up your documents)
> 2.- A bootable OS in CD (a "Live CD"). Choose whatever distribution you
> like: XP-lite, Linux, etc.
> Plug in (computer in power off state) your spare drive, turn on your
> computer, place the bootable OS CD in the drive and boot.
> If your documents to be saved fit into an USB pen drive you might try that
> instead of the hard disk alternative.
> If your motherboard supports booting from USB you might try a bootable USB OS.
> (www.bootdisk.com).
> Save all your info and then you will be good to go with the Vista fresh
> install.
> Carlos
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > It's as simple as that: My Vista Business is perpetually rebooting as it trys
> > to start up. It gets halfway through the loading screen, the scolling bar
> > freezes, and the machine reboots.
> >
> > Here's the hardware situation:
> > -Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard
> > -4gb Corsair DDR2
> > -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> > -GeForce 7600GT PCI-E x16
> > -WD 160gb IDE HDD
> > -WD 160gb SATA HDD (Windows Drive)
> > -SATA Lightscribe CD/DVD-RW
> > -Logisys 480W PSU
> >
> > The problem arose after my old DFI Infinity Mobo died. The replacement is
> > the above listed Gigabyte Mobo. I've upgraded to the latest bios, cleared the
> > CMOS, tried it with only 1 stick of memory, and it still does the same thing.
> > I've tried startup repair on the Vista DVD and it always says it can't find a
> > solution. Memory scan turned out okay. CHKDSK appears to pass.
> >
> > What is going on here?!
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reboot, reboot, reboot Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 12 03-07-2009 11:35 PM
voip pstn adapter low noise perpetual power ,tm, after sale LVMarc VOIP 1 01-01-2007 03:50 PM
voip pstn adapter low noise perpetual power ,tm, after sale Marc Popek VOIP 0 12-26-2006 05:57 AM
DVD Rental Licenses: Perpetual plus cheap replacements? Dee V. Dee DVD Video 3 03-26-2005 07:53 PM
Perpetual "Calendar" problem. Wm. G. Urquhart Java 10 01-16-2004 06:33 PM



Advertisments