OE6 with all updates
IE 7 with all updates.

I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me with.

#1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I perform
this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can no longer
delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go through the same
thing all over again.

#2- Some times when I double click an email (or a program shortcut in
windows) the machine freezes up. As a matter of fact the last time it
happened the cursor actually disappeared. It's happened so often that I've
actually mounted an in line switch in a convenient spot so that I can turn
the computer off and on to reboot which is the only way I can proceed.

#3- I originally put several check book registries onto a single spreadsheet
program which I created with MS Works. I later decided to split them up into
separate programs by copy and pasting them into new spreadsheets. This
worked fine for a time but then a time came that every time I opened a
spreadsheet to update it I would get a message that another program was open
with the same name and any I made would not be able to be saved. After much
experimenting I found that if I first compressed the file before opening it
every thing would work ok.

Problem # 3 I can live with but #1 & #2 are a real hassle as it takes a
good 5 minutes for me to reboot each time. If any of you guru's can help I
would very much appreciate it and when it happens 2 or 3 times (or more) a
day it really drives me crazy.

If no one has any answers perhaps one of you could tell me if I can
reinstall OE from the restore disc over the existing OE without losing my
saved emails.

Many thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide.

Nutzel

wisdomkiller & pain

nutzel wrote:

> I have :
> XP2 with all the updates.
> OE6 with all updates
> IE 7 with all updates.
>
> I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me
> with.
>
> #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
> others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
> forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I perform
> this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can no longer
> delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go through the same
> thing all over again.

Mails with big attachments, maybe?
You may try to compress your e-mail database from within outbug^H^H^Hlook
express. Ever thought about migrating to thunderbird (it will import your
OE emails upon install)?

> #2- Some times when I double click an email (or a program shortcut in
> windows) the machine freezes up. As a matter of fact the last time it
> happened the cursor actually disappeared. It's happened so often that I've
> actually mounted an in line switch in a convenient spot so that I can turn
> the computer off and on to reboot which is the only way I can proceed.

No reaction to ctrl-alt-del?
Looks like some hardware failure ... maybe a bad spot in ram, a power supply
or onboard voltage regulator/capacitor issue. When was the last time you
opened the case and cleaned the fan and heatsink?
Can you see something in event viewer after such a crash?
Google and download memtest86, it will fit on a bootable floppy. Let it run
overnight.

> #3- I originally put several check book registries onto a single
> #spreadsheet
> program which I created with MS Works. I later decided to split them up
> into separate programs by copy and pasting them into new spreadsheets.
> This worked fine for a time but then a time came that every time I opened
> a spreadsheet to update it I would get a message that another program was
> open with the same name and any I made would not be able to be saved.
> After much experimenting I found that if I first compressed the file
> before opening it every thing would work ok.

Not that I know much about works, but the files it produces are a pain to
import in a standard application. Openoffice would be worth a try, it can
be setup to produce standard *.doc and *.xls files which are well
recognized by standard MS office.

nutzel

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> nutzel wrote:
>
>> I have :
>> XP2 with all the updates.
>> OE6 with all updates
>> IE 7 with all updates.
>>
>> I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me
>> with.
>>
>> #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
>> others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
>> forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I perform
>> this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can no longer
>> delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go through the same
>> thing all over again.
>>

> Mails with big attachments, maybe?

Often times, yes.

> You may try to compress your e-mail database from within outbug^H^H^Hlook
> express.

Don't know what outbug^H^H^Hlook is. Please explain.

Ever thought about migrating to thunderbird (it will import your
> OE emails upon install)?

Do you reccomend it?

>> #2- Some times when I double click an email (or a program shortcut in
>> windows) the machine freezes up. As a matter of fact the last time it
>> happened the cursor actually disappeared. It's happened so often that
>> I've
>> actually mounted an in line switch in a convenient spot so that I can
>> turn
>> the computer off and on to reboot which is the only way I can proceed.
>>

> No reaction to ctrl-alt-del?

No reaction to anything.

> Looks like some hardware failure ... maybe a bad spot in ram, a power
> supply
> or onboard voltage regulator/capacitor issue. When was the last time you
> opened the case and cleaned the fan and heatsink?

It's been well over a year. I'll give it a try before I do anything else.

> Can you see something in event viewer after such a crash?

I never checked because in the past all I ever saw was something like
"Application hang", which is what I already knew. Next time I'll check and
report
back to you what it says.

> Google and download memtest86, it will fit on a bootable floppy. Let it
> run
> overnight.

I just checked with Google as you advised and there seems to be a variety of
choices
to download. Would this be the right one?
Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.4a installable from Windows and DOS

>> #3- I originally put several check book registries onto a single
>> #spreadsheet
>> program which I created with MS Works. I later decided to split them up
>> into separate programs by copy and pasting them into new spreadsheets.
>> This worked fine for a time but then a time came that every time I opened
>> a spreadsheet to update it I would get a message that another program was
>> open with the same name and any I made would not be able to be saved.
>> After much experimenting I found that if I first compressed the file
>> before opening it every thing would work ok.
>>

> Not that I know much about works, but the files it produces are a pain to
> import in a standard application. Openoffice would be worth a try, it can
> be setup to produce standard *.doc and *.xls files which are well
> recognized by standard MS office.

I might try that once I get these other problems fixed.

chuckcar

"nutzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have :
> XP2 with all the updates.
> OE6 with all updates
> IE 7 with all updates.
>
> I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me
> with.
>
> #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
> others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
> forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I
> perform this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can
> no longer delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go
> through the same thing all over again.

<snip>

Note: this numbering is not in co-relation to your numbers, they are simply
a list possiblities of what might be wrong with one or more of them.

1. Have you tried repairing IE & OE? This can be done by going to
add/remove programs and selecting "Internet Explorer 7 and internet
tools" and clicking add/remove. Then you are given three choices *make*
*sure* you put the period beside repair before clicking OK.

2. Anther thought is that IE 7 is still pretty new and can have problems
with some computers. IE 6 works fine and it's certificates won't expire
for a few years yet. Generally, I stay one version number behind what MS
puts out due to there being *always* fixes. There have been quite a few
postings of people having problems with it, even my sister had to
uninstall it to be able to view web pages at *all*.

3. When you look down by the clock on the bottom right, how many icons
besides the time do you see? My thinking is your startup programs are
slowing down your computer. Try this:

start->run
msconfig<enter>
click on the uncheck startup, click apply and ok. Windows will restart
and when it comes back it will *ask* you if you want the changes
reversed select *no*.

4. Empty your recycle bin and see how much free space your hard drive
has.

5. Scan *all* files on your computer for trojans/viri/malware.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

wisdomkiller & pain

nutzel wrote:

> "wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> nutzel wrote:

>> Mails with big attachments, maybe?

> Often times, yes.
>
>> You may try to compress your e-mail database from within outbug^H^H^Hlook
>> express.

> Don't know what outbug^H^H^Hlook is. Please explain.

Another Microsoft application often considered as buggy - and unuseable
together with IE thanks to the mixing of both apps, once reasonably
secured.

> Ever thought about migrating to thunderbird (it will import your
>> OE emails upon install)?

> Do you reccomend it?

It is not perfect either, but it is independent of IE, so you can configure
it without backscatter. Also, it is worth a try if your Outlook Express is
broken.

>> No reaction to ctrl-alt-del?

> No reaction to anything.

That doesn't look like just a application hanging - therefore consider
testing your hardware.

>> Looks like some hardware failure ... maybe a bad spot in ram, a power
>> supply
>> or onboard voltage regulator/capacitor issue. When was the last time you
>> opened the case and cleaned the fan and heatsink?

> It's been well over a year. I'll give it a try before I do anything else.

Good. You may as well look for bulged capacitors. When you clean the
innards, remove/reseat the ram sticks after "polishing" the contact strips.
Make sure there is no static charge (keep your arms in contact with the case
while working).

>> Can you see something in event viewer after such a crash?

> I never checked because in the past all I ever saw was something like
> "Application hang", which is what I already knew. Next time I'll check
> and
> report
> back to you what it says.

Often, a hardware failure won't show up in eventviewer, because the system
freezes so quickly there is no time left to write a log entry. Or the
filesystem has stalled as well. Your harddrive is on the way out when you
find "disk" type errors.

>> Google and download memtest86, it will fit on a bootable floppy. Let it
>> run
>> overnight.

> I just checked with Google as you advised and there seems to be a variety
> of choices
> to download. Would this be the right one?
> Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.4a installable from Windows and
> DOS

Looks just fine, try it.

>> Not that I know much about works, but the files it produces are a pain to
>> import in a standard application. Openoffice would be worth a try, it can
>> be setup to produce standard *.doc and *.xls files which are well
>> recognized by standard MS office.

> I might try that once I get these other problems fixed.

Ok, good idea.

Plato

It's not the mouse freezing, its the OS freezing.

ADA

I've been battling with this problem for over 2 weeks, these couple of days
appear to have some success. At the very worst the system froze randomly and
I couldn't get any work done at all. Here's what I did and what I have now.

First I have WinPatrol. I disable most of the programs that insist on
getting on the StartUp list.

If you, like me, have tried everything suggested, (I even re-installed the
whole system about 20 times), then you may need System Mechanics. It took me
12 re-installations to learn not to let it do anything yet, except the
following.

First, somewhere in the labryrinth of its services you will find a Tool to
get rid of the junk in the pc...to my surprise even when the system froze
immediately after boot up, there'd be hundreds of MB junk in form of Temp
Intenet Files etc.

After doing that, find the tool to defrag memory, and run it. In one pass
mine claims to reclaim as much as 400MB right after bootup.

Restart and see if it will do the trick. Actually I did this routine about
5-6 reboot, and the system has stabilised since.

Something else you might do..go to Add/Remove Programs, and if you see an
icon that doesn't match that provided by the application, (such as a generic
blue rectangle), uninstall it. Reboot. Sometimes badly installed programs
will run but may not release the RAM efficiently.

I hope this helps. Good luck

"nutzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have :
> XP2 with all the updates.
> OE6 with all updates
> IE 7 with all updates.
>
> I have several very annoying problems that I hope some one can help me
> with.
>
> #1- I get perhaps 15 to 20 emails per day, many of which I forward to
> others. My normal practice is to remove all traces of past recipients
> forward the email and delete the one that was sent to me. After I perform
> this operation with a few emails (usually about 3 or 4) I can no longer
> delete any emails. I then close OE and reopen it and go through the same
> thing all over again.
>
> #2- Some times when I double click an email (or a program shortcut in
> windows) the machine freezes up. As a matter of fact the last time it
> happened the cursor actually disappeared. It's happened so often that I've
> actually mounted an in line switch in a convenient spot so that I can turn
> the computer off and on to reboot which is the only way I can proceed.
>
> #3- I originally put several check book registries onto a single
> spreadsheet program which I created with MS Works. I later decided to
> split them up into separate programs by copy and pasting them into new
> spreadsheets. This worked fine for a time but then a time came that every
> time I opened a spreadsheet to update it I would get a message that
> another program was open with the same name and any I made would not be
> able to be saved. After much experimenting I found that if I first
> compressed the file before opening it every thing would work ok.
>
> Problem # 3 I can live with but #1 & #2 are a real hassle as it takes a
> good 5 minutes for me to reboot each time. If any of you guru's can help I
> would very much appreciate it and when it happens 2 or 3 times (or more) a
> day it really drives me crazy.
>
> If no one has any answers perhaps one of you could tell me if I can
> reinstall OE from the restore disc over the existing OE without losing my
> saved emails.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide.
>
> Nutzel

maks13@gmail.com

Have a look at AnVir Task Manager Pro http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerpro
I bought it few months ago and it helped me to get rid of few trojans.

It has all features of Winpatrol:
- Monitor processes, services, startup programs, internet connections,
DLLs, drivers, locked files
- Speed up Windows boot time
- Alerts on new startups, block undesired startup programs
- Descriptions for startup programs and Windows services

And a lot of other usefull features:
- Security analysis of processes
- Minimize windows to system tray
- Automatically change process priority
- Dynamic icons in tray for CPU, memory and disk load
And much more...

Freeware edition: http://www.anvir.com/taskmanagerfree