Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > the confusing term page file

the confusing term page file

George2

Hello everyone,

On Windows Server 2003, task manager there is a term called PF (Page
File) and it has a related curve. Task manager also has another term
called commit charge.

1. I think PF is the same as commit charge. Previously, I think Page
File only includes the paged-out pages which physical memory can not
contain, and the pages are not in memory are counted as PF. Now I
think I am wrong and PF includes all committed pages, including the
ones in memory and the ones on disk;

2. Even if the pages are marked as COMMIT, it is not always counted as
a part of PF in some situations before it is actually used (request
for zero and copy-on-write scenarios);

Are my understandings of (1) and (2) correct?

thanks in advance,
George

Ron Natalie

George2 wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> On Windows Server 2003, task manager there is a term called PF (Page
> File) and it has a related curve. Task manager also has another term
> called commit charge.

It's PAGE FAULTS and it's excessively confusing because it has squat to
do with C++ or this newsgroup. It's essentially a count of the number
of processor traps incurred when touching either non-resident or access
protected virtual memory pages.

For further discussion and the relationship to the abortion called the
Windows operating system, try a group with Microsoft in it's name.