Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RIP Canon SD550 Digital Elph

RIP Canon SD550 Digital Elph

zalek

My Canon SD550 commit suicide - so I am looking for other compact
camera. The only thing I didn't like in my old Canon was .AVI movies
format.
I am looking for compact camera, that makes .mpeg movies, have optical
viewfinder, 2.5" LCD monitor, and uses SD flash card. I checked
www.dpreview.com - they don't show movies format in camera.
Any advices?

Thanks,

Zalek

John Turco

zalek wrote:

> My Canon SD550 commit suicide - so I am looking for other compact
> camera. The only thing I didn't like in my old Canon was .AVI movies
> format.

Hello, Zalek:

Did you give the dear, departed device, a proper burial? :-J

> I am looking for compact camera, that makes .mpeg movies, have optical
> viewfinder, 2.5" LCD monitor, and uses SD flash card. I checked
> www.dpreview.com - they don't show movies format in camera.
> Any advices?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zalek

Please, follow this link:

KODAK Refurbished Digital Cameras
<http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=4177&pq-locale=en_US>

Many of those older Kodak digicams have optical viewfinders, which are
rather rare, among newer models of any brand. Also, Kodak cameras don't
record video, in AVI; they use MOV, instead.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "zalek" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Canon SD550 commit suicide - so I am looking for other compact
> camera. The only thing I didn't like in my old Canon was .AVI movies
> format.
> I am looking for compact camera, that makes .mpeg movies, have optical
> viewfinder, 2.5" LCD monitor, and uses SD flash card. I checked
> www.dpreview.com - they don't show movies format in camera.
> Any advices?

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?If you want really good movie capability,
get a mini dv camcorder.(Mine, the sony dcr hc-32e, was a demo camcorder.I
bought it for 350 euros, while its normal price was 500 euros.Now it's
discontinued, and a shop here has a last piece for 300 euros, brand new.If I
were to wait however, I would be stuck for one year with a crappy analogue
obsolete 8mm camcorder).Otherwise, I recommend getting any major brand good
still camera, preferably one with a metal body.
HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

zalek

On Feb 3, 5:07 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ? "zalek" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????news:(E-Mail Removed)...> My Canon SD550 commit suicide - so I am looking for other compact
> > camera. The only thing I didn't like in my old Canon was .AVI movies
> > format.
> > I am looking for compact camera, that makes .mpeg movies, have optical
> > viewfinder, 2.5" LCD monitor, and uses SD flash card. I checked
> >www.dpreview.com- they don't show movies format in camera.
> > Any advices?

> Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?If you want really good movie capability,
> get a mini dv camcorder.(Mine, the sony dcr hc-32e, was a demo camcorder.I
> bought it for 350 euros, while its normal price was 500 euros.Now it's
> discontinued, and a shop here has a last piece for 300 euros, brand new.If I
> were to wait however, I would be stuck for one year with a crappy analogue
> obsolete 8mm camcorder).Otherwise, I recommend getting any major brand good
> still camera, preferably one with a metal body.
> HTH,
>
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering
> mechanized infantry reservist
> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

I have a camcorder Panasonic PV-GS300, but I want something very small
that I can keep in my pocket that makes good pictures and short video
clips. Also it is much easier to transfer video clips from a flash
card to computer, than from my camcorder - I just remove card from the
camera, stick in in my PC - and I have a video clip.
BTW - my camcorder makes still pictures too on a regular SD card -
video na a DV tape.
Anyway - I decided to buy Canon SD850.
I found that Sony cameras make .mpeg movies, but Sony cameras use
memory sticks - I already have bunch of SD cards and SD cards readers.
I was looking for Casio and Kodak too - but finally I decided go for
Canon SD850.

Zalek