Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon question

Nikon question

Ockham's Razor

I have a D50.

It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
finder.

In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu control,
but it will not change.

Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point in
the middle on the above settings.

Thank you.

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

Steven Weinberg

me@mine.net

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:52:38 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's
Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a D50.
>
>It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
>finder.
>
>In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
>bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu control,
>but it will not change.
>
>Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point in
>the middle on the above settings.

See page 33 of the fine manual.

Poldekk

Ockham's Razor wrote:

> I have a D50.
>
> It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
> finder.
>
> In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
> bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu control,
> but it will not change.
>
> Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point in
> the middle on the above settings.

"Single area" in the menu.

me@mine.net

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:13:23 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Poldekk
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ockham's Razor wrote:
>>
>> I have a D50.
>>
>> It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
>> finder.
>>
>> In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
>> bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu control,
>> but it will not change.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point in
>> the middle on the above settings.

>"Single area" in the menu.

No, setting AF- Area-mode to single or dynamic only allows one to be able
to manually set the AF point. The means to do that is specified on p. 33 of
the fine manual.

cupra

Ockham's Razor wrote:
> I have a D50.
>
> It has five possible autofocus points seen as "brackets" in the view
> finder.
>
> In the P,S,A and M settings the focus point is fixed in the left hand
> bracket. I have tried to change this in the "Auto focus" menu
> control, but it will not change.
>
> Can anyone help me with information about how to get the focus point
> in the middle on the above settings.
>
> Thank you.

Use the Left/Right button to switch between brackets?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 29, 10:04 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:52:38 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's
>
> Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> See page 33 of the fine manual.

I was teaching a course on digital photography several years ago. I
asked how many people were satisfied with the manual that came with
their camera. About five hands went up out of a class of about two
dozen. ALL of those who were satisfied were Nikon owners. Things may
have changed since, but that was a limited sample several years ago.

me@mine.net

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:07:22 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
in Minnesota <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 29, 10:04 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:52:38 -0800, in rec.photo.digital Ockham's
>>
>> Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> See page 33 of the fine manual.

>I was teaching a course on digital photography several years ago. I
>asked how many people were satisfied with the manual that came with
>their camera. About five hands went up out of a class of about two
>dozen. ALL of those who were satisfied were Nikon owners. Things may
>have changed since, but that was a limited sample several years ago.

Having gone through a 990, 5700, D70 and D200 and grabbing copies of most
others manuals as well, I think they're about the same. One issue is that
given how they are organized the TOC/index doesn't always point to all the
info on a given subject. Making grabbing a PDF copy that is keyword
searchable a good idea.