Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ PC World finally does the Eee

NZ PC World finally does the Eee

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Picked up a copy of the February issue of NZ PC World at the supermarket.
Not a magazine I normally bother with, but this one had the Asus Eee on the
cover. (Yes, it's been popping up a lot lately.) Apart from a two-page
spread on the diminutive beastie (verdict: 9/10), there was even mention of
the OLPC and Intel Classmate machines elsewhere.

Only thing is, the Eee has been on sale in NZ for about three months. The
Aussie mags (APC and PC Authority) were able to put out their reviews a
month earlier, even though the Eee didn't go on sale there until over a
month later than here.

Another odd thing was, their review machine had its RAM increased from the
usual half gig to one gig. Potentially misleading, I thought, not to test
the configuration the way ordinary punters will buy it.

JohnO

On Jan 29, 12:36*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Picked up a copy of the February issue of NZ PC World at the supermarket.
> Not a magazine I normally bother with, but this one had the Asus Eee on the
> cover. (Yes, it's been popping up a lot lately.) Apart from a two-page
> spread on the diminutive beastie (verdict: 9/10), there was even mention of
> the OLPC and Intel Classmate machines elsewhere.
>
> Only thing is, the Eee has been on sale in NZ for about three months. The
> Aussie mags (APC and PC Authority) were able to put out their reviews a
> month earlier, even though the Eee didn't go on sale there until over a
> month later than here.
>
> Another odd thing was, their review machine had its RAM increased from the
> usual half gig to one gig. Potentially misleading, I thought, not to test
> the configuration the way ordinary punters will buy it.

I'd never heard of the thing until I saw that article. I went straight
out and bought one that day.

I understand it takes a conventional laptop RAM module so will upgrade
mine to a 1 or 2Gb module shortly, and I am looking around for a
decent SDHC card.

There's a very simple update to swap the noddy GUI to a conventional
KDE one - that's the first thing I did.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, JohnO
did write:

> I understand it takes a conventional laptop RAM module so will upgrade
> mine to a 1 or 2Gb module shortly...

Note that the included kernel doesn't recognize more than 1GiB RAM, I
believe. If you want more, you'll have to build your own kernel.

More details here
<http://www.ultramobilegeek.com/2007/11/howto-recompiling-eee-kernel-to-enable.html>.

JohnO

On Feb 4, 9:01*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, JohnO
> did write:
>
> > I understand it takes a conventional laptop RAM module so will upgrade
> > mine to a 1 or 2Gb module shortly...

> Note that the included kernel doesn't recognize more than 1GiB RAM, I
> believe. If you want more, you'll have to build your own kernel.
>
> More details here
> <http://www.ultramobilegeek.com/2007/11/howto-recompiling-eee-kernel-t...>..

Yes, and even once it recognises the extra, it generally doesn't even
need it. However the slower 533Mhz RAM 2Gb is feck all more expensive
than 1Gb so I got 2Gb just incase there's a use for it some time.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, JohnO
did write:

> Yes, and even once it recognises the extra, it generally doesn't even
> need it.

Hmm, I'm wondering whether my Eee might not benefit from a RAM upgrade. It's
getting a bit wearying having to kill and restart Firefox every day or
two...

Ross

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 01:36:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Picked up a copy of the February issue of NZ PC World at the supermarket.
>Not a magazine I normally bother with, but this one had the Asus Eee on the
>cover. (Yes, it's been popping up a lot lately.) Apart from a two-page
>spread on the diminutive beastie (verdict: 9/10), there was even mention of
>the OLPC and Intel Classmate machines elsewhere.
>
>Only thing is, the Eee has been on sale in NZ for about three months. The
>Aussie mags (APC and PC Authority) were able to put out their reviews a
>month earlier, even though the Eee didn't go on sale there until over a
>month later than here.
>
>Another odd thing was, their review machine had its RAM increased from the
>usual half gig to one gig. Potentially misleading, I thought, not to test
>the configuration the way ordinary punters will buy it.

2.0 or 3.0 beta?
Got many addons?