Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > How Do You Pronounce char?

How Do You Pronounce char?

user923005

On Jan 31, 5:17*pm, Ben Bacarisse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[snip]
> Do you answer "yes" when asked if you want red or white?

Well, it would be correct unless he wanted some other color.

Supposedly a true story:
A certain mathematician had the habit of simply writing answers to
homework assignments on the board (the method of solution being, of
course, obvious) when he was asked how to solve problems. One time one
of his students tried to get more helpful information by asking if
there was another way to solve the problem. The mathematician looked
blank for a moment, thought, and then answered, "Yes".

The following is a fairly classical mathematics joke:
Q: What does a mathematicians answer, when you ask him/her if (s)he
wants
the window open or closed?
A: Yes.

Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood

Groovy hepcat Kenneth Brody was jivin' in comp.lang.c on Wed, 30 Jan
2008 3:09 am. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

> Billy Bong wrote:
>>
>> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

[Snip.]

> Didn't this exact question come up a few months ago?

Oh, this comes up every now and then. Just tell them to pronounce
"char" as "crap". It makes sense when you spell it out phonetically.
It's like this:

c as in "crap"

h as in "crap" (ie., silent, since there's no h in "crap")

a as in "crap"

r as in "crap"

Therefore, "char" is pronounced "crap".

--
Dig the sig!

----------- Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood ------------
Ain't I'm a dawg!!

Flash Gordon

CBFalconer wrote, On 31/01/08 23:50:
> Mark McIntyre wrote:
>> Malcolm McLean wrote:
>>>>
>>> They are rational numbers. Just not the ratio you passed in as
>>> decimal.

>> You misunderstood - the prev poster was pointing out that you
>> can't use floats to represent rational numbers. 1/3 was an example.

> ^-- binary ^-- all
>
> Correct as above.

C allows the float to be decimal and it *still* can't represent all
rational numbers. So you are correct to all "all" but adding "binary" is
a needless restriction.
--
Flash Gordon

user923005

On Feb 1, 12:31*am, Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote, On 31/01/08 23:50:
>
> > Mark McIntyre wrote:

> >> You misunderstood - the prev poster was pointing out that you
> >> can't use floats to represent rational numbers. 1/3 was an example.

> > * * * * * *^-- binary * * * * *^-- all

> > Correct as above.

> C allows the float to be decimal and it *still* can't represent all
> rational numbers. So you are correct to all "all" but adding "binary" is
> a needless restriction.

For that matter, neither can short, int, long nor even long long
represent all integers. The fraction that is representible as a ratio
to the entire set is zero.

CBFalconer

Flash Gordon wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote, On 31/01/08 23:50:
>> Mark McIntyre wrote:

>>> You misunderstood - the prev poster was pointing out that you
>>> can't use floats to represent rational numbers. 1/3 was an example.

>> ^-- binary ^-- all
>>
>> Correct as above.

> C allows the float to be decimal and it *still* can't represent all
> rational numbers. So you are correct to all "all" but adding
> "binary" is a needless restriction.

Not so. What if the float significand etc. used base 3, or 6, or
9? Then 1/3 could be expressed exactly. "binary" is needed. I
can find nits anywhere.

Try the download section.

Flash Gordon

CBFalconer wrote, On 02/02/08 00:20:
> Flash Gordon wrote:
>> CBFalconer wrote, On 31/01/08 23:50:

>>> ^-- binary ^-- all
>>>
>>> Correct as above.

>> C allows the float to be decimal and it *still* can't represent all
>> rational numbers. So you are correct to all "all" but adding
>> "binary" is a needless restriction.

> Not so. What if the float significand etc. used base 3, or 6, or
> 9? Then 1/3 could be expressed exactly. "binary" is needed. I
> can find nits anywhere.

Still could not represent all rational numbers
If you want you could specify that 1/3 was an example for binary/decimal.
--
Flash Gordon

Morris Dovey

Flash Gordon wrote:

> Still could not represent all rational numbers
> If you want you could specify that 1/3 was an example for binary/decimal.

Is this a hobby thread? This isn't a C issue, or even a computing
issue - it's fairly obvious that only a tiny subset of all
possible values can be exactly represented by a number with a
finite sequence of digits, no matter how that sequence is formed.

The horse is not alive.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

TerryP

Billy Bong wrote:

> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
>
> I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
> the char in character.
>
> Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
> charcoal.
>
> How do you pronounce char?

I can't say for the rest of the human race but I generally have two
pronunciations of every word. What I say in my mind and what comes out of
my mouth.

For the identifiers that are not true English words, my pronunciation is a
mixture of what they are mnemonic for and how they sound in my head.

char as in character, sounds a bit like 'cah-hair' some times to me but
could be the accent.

int as in "in it" because 'in teg er' would be longer for my tongue.

const as in constant minus ant.

#ifndef, usually 'if not deaf' or 'if na deaf' depending on how fast I say
it or *think* it.

#elif as 'el if', eg. I pronounce the el as an L, a habit of mine when
learning a new language is to figure out if it's else if; elif, elseif, or
drunk of the month club.

I've never paid much attention to it since it is rare I get to speak to any
one that knows the difference between a compiler and trash compactor. Hey
wait some times they do both ^_^.

--
Network packets are like buses. You wait all day, and then 3Com
along at once.