Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > How Do You Pronounce char?

How Do You Pronounce char?

Billy Bong

How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
the char in character.

Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
charcoal.

How do you pronounce char?

--
Billy

Joakim Hove

> How do you pronounce char?

I pronounce like in character - but I live in Norway so you probably
should not heed my advice

Joakim

Richard Bos

Billy Bong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

RTFFAQ: <http://c-faq.com/misc/pronounce.html>

Richard

cr88192

"Billy Bong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wzAnj.1303$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
>
> I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
> the char in character.
>
> Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
> charcoal.
>
> How do you pronounce char?

how do you pronounce lots of things?...

ok, my case, like 'car'.
and, how is this: [kAr\].

[kAr], [xAr\], ... would probably also work.

however, not [kA@], as that is just lame.

oh, those, poor, poor, people who have the misfortune of living in the land
absent either 'r' or a hard 'ng' sound. we are [spikiN], not [spIk@n]...

> --
> Billy

Richard Tobin

In article <wzAnj.1303$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Billy Bong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>How is the Standard C type char pronounced?

The standard is for computer programs. It does not specify
pronunciation.

-- Richard
--
:wq

Malcolm McLean

"Billy Bong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
>
> I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced like
> the char in character.
>
> Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
> charcoal.
>
> How do you pronounce char?

"Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly "integer"
and "size type".

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

santosh

Malcolm McLean wrote:

> "Billy Bong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> How is the Standard C type char pronounced?
>>
>> I always assumed it was short for character and should be pronounced
>> like the char in character.
>>
>> Recently we had a guy work for us who pronounced it like the char in
>> charcoal.
>>
>> How do you pronounce char?
>>

> "Character", that is to say pronouncing the whole word. Similarly
> "integer" and "size type".

Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
as "floating point" and so on?

Malcolm McLean

"santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
> as "floating point" and so on?

"float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
class.

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Mark McIntyre

Malcolm McLean wrote:

> "santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> Do you also pronounce intptr_t as "integer pointer type" or float
>> as "floating point" and so on?
>>

> "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
> class.

My problem with this is that char is not synonym for character, and
float is not a synonym for real value.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

Ido Yehieli

On Jan 29, 2:10 pm, "Malcolm McLean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "float" can be pronounced "a real value" if you want to add a touch of
> class.

But it isn't. How do you represent sqrt(2), pi or even the rational
fraction 1/3? A float is a floating point number, not a real number.

-Ido.