Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Really, Really Bummer HD Problems

Reply
Thread Tools

Really, Really Bummer HD Problems

 
 
Phil@problems.problems.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2008
About a month ago, I bought some memory for my Dell Dimension 8400. I
even brought the packing slip along which came with the computer,
showing what type of memory was installed at the factory.

Some idiot at one of the electronic stores - after cross referencing it
on a store computer, still sold me the wrong cards. My machine went
bonkers after I installed the cards. I had nothing but blue screens
everywhere. I couldn't get into Windows. I used the F2 key and changed
a few things in the drive menu. Whatever I did, it allowed me the
following screen, and with the F1 key, I finally got back into
Windows. So, the following screen is what I see every time I boot up.

Opening screen before Windows

Drive 1 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-1
Drive 2 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
Drive 3 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-3
Drive 5 Not Found: Parallel ATA, PATA A1, (Pri IDE Slave)

Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run Setup Utility

(Let me state here, I had ZERO problems of any kind before this
happening.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am running Windows XP Pro.

I have 5 external drives along with my A: floppy and D: CD ROM.

C: (Which came with the machine.)
E: A Maxtor 275 Gig external.
F: A Seagate Free Agent 250 Gig external
J: A Seagate Free Agent 500 Gig external
M: A Seagate Free Agent 500 Gig external

(I have virtual volumes made with BestCrypt which have the drive letters
G, H, I, K, and L attributed to them. That's why the listed HDs are not
sequential in letters.)

Despite what the F2 Setup says, all my disks are working perfectly.

Previously, I had made my CD drive the first in line to boot. This was
so I could use my Acronis True Image CD to recover from any Windows
failure. However, Since this snafu by the store idiot, my CD will not
boot the computer, even though I have it that way in the F2 setup
screen. The screen does tell me that the CD ROM is in the #1 position
to boot, but the comp doesn't work that way. It insists

on booting from A:. This means if I have a catastrophic failure, my
Acronis System Recovery CD is worthless. This was not true before this
nonsense happened. I know that for a fact because I checked frequently
by booting from the CD. I wanted to make sure everything was right just
in case I had a Windows failure. I took it to one repair guy who
wouldn't touch it because he said he had never seen such a thing
before.

Here is what I see when I use the F2 key:

Setup Boot Sequence

1 Onboard CD ROM
2 Onboard Floppy
3 SATA HD
4 IDE HD ----- Not Present
5 USB Device
---------------------------------------
Drives

Diskette
Drive 0: SATA 0
Drive 1: SATA - 1
Drive 2: SATA - 3
Drive 3: SATA - 3
Drive 4: PATA - 0
Drive 5: PATA - 1

SATA OPERATION

===================
Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Would it help if I replaced the C: drive with a new one, or is this a
hardware problem which would carry over?

I'm wondering if my motherboard is screwed up. I'd like to find a
solution to this before my C: drive fails. It's quite a few years old by
now. I'm also wondering if I should just stuff this box and get a new
one - not that I'm delighted with having to spend a few grand for this
solution.

??.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2008
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?


No.

Did you remove the 'bad' memory you bought?

--

-G
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RobV
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2008
G. Morgan wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

>
> No.
>
> Did you remove the 'bad' memory you bought?


And go back to the store with the idiot and demand you get the proper
memory and they fix whatever the problem is?


 
Reply With Quote
 
balikitty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2008
On Jan 28, 10:15*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> About a month ago, I bought some memory for my Dell Dimension 8400. *I
> even brought the packing slip along which came with the computer,
> showing what type of memory was installed at the factory.
>
> Some idiot at one of the electronic stores - after cross referencing it
> on a store computer, still sold me the wrong cards. My machine went
> bonkers after I installed the cards. *I had nothing but blue screens
> everywhere. I couldn't get into Windows. *I used the F2 key and changed
> a few things in the drive menu. Whatever I did, it allowed me the
> following screen, *and with the F1 key, *I finally got back into
> Windows. So, the following screen is what I see every time I boot up.
>
> Opening screen before Windows
>
> Drive 1 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-1
> Drive 2 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
> Drive 3 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-3
> Drive 5 Not Found: Parallel ATA, PATA A1, (Pri IDE Slave)
>
> Strike F1 to continue, *F2 to run Setup Utility
>
> (Let me state here, I had ZERO problems of any kind before this
> happening.)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
> I am running Windows XP Pro.
>
> I have 5 external drives along with my A: floppy and D: CD ROM.
>
> C: (Which came with the machine.)
> E: A Maxtor 275 Gig external.
> F: A Seagate Free Agent 250 Gig external
> J: A Seagate Free Agent 500 Gig external
> M: A Seagate Free Agent *500 Gig external
>
> (I have virtual volumes made with BestCrypt which have the drive letters
> G, H, I, K, and L attributed to them. *That's why the listed HDs are not
> sequential in letters.)
>
> Despite what the F2 Setup says, all my disks are working perfectly.
>
> Previously, I had made my CD drive the first in line to boot. This was
> so I could use my Acronis True Image CD to recover from any Windows
> failure. However, Since this snafu by the store idiot, my CD will not
> boot the computer, even though I have it that way in the F2 setup
> screen. *The screen does tell me that the CD ROM is in the #1 position
> to boot, but the comp doesn't work that way. It insists
>
> on booting from A:. This means if I have a catastrophic failure, my
> Acronis System Recovery CD is worthless. *This was not true before this
> nonsense happened. I know that for a fact because I checked frequently
> by booting from the CD. *I wanted to make sure everything was right just
> in case I had a Windows failure. *I took it to one repair guy who
> wouldn't touch it because he said he had never seen such a thing
> before.
>
> Here is what I see when I use the F2 key:
>
> Setup Boot Sequence
>
> 1 Onboard CD ROM
> 2 Onboard Floppy
> 3 SATA HD
> 4 IDE HD ----- Not Present
> 5 USB Device
> ---------------------------------------
> Drives
>
> Diskette
> Drive 0: SATA 0
> Drive 1: SATA - 1
> Drive 2: SATA - 3
> Drive 3: SATA - 3
> Drive 4: PATA - 0
> Drive 5: PATA - 1
>
> SATA OPERATION
>
> ===================
> Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?
>
> Would it help if I replaced the C: drive with a new one, or is this a
> hardware problem which would carry over?
>
> I'm wondering if my motherboard is screwed up. *I'd like to find a
> solution to this before my C: drive fails. It's quite a few years old by
> now. I'm also wondering if I should just stuff this box and get a new
> one - not that I'm delighted with having to spend a few grand for this
> solution.
>
> ??.


Ive had the blue screen before. Its just great!!! This happened to me
when someone pulled out one of my drivers and i couldnt get on the net
to contact them back!!! Anyway, the thing i finally did, was
uninstall, and reinstall, and of course before that i tried any
updates. But there where none to use. I would try updates if you can
get to it. Windows updates is wha im referring to. If that doesnt
work, try uninstalling, then reinstalling. Try going to control panel
and click hardware, flail arount in there for awhile, for lack of
better term, usually you can get to a spot where you can troubleshoot
all your drives. One at time, of course, Since you know it is your c
drive, at least you got that much info. When this happened to me , i
couldnt get to internet even through safe mode. It took everything. I
had thoughts of the file being corrupted, but that wasnt the case
after all.Or, go back to the goofus who did this,, and see if he has
any techs around that can help. B.T.W, I think they made the screens
blue so it would at least have a calming effect on you when you saw
them, over and over again. ha.
 
Reply With Quote
 
sandy58
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2008
On Jan 29, 8:27 am, balikitty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 10:15 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>
>
> > About a month ago, I bought some memory for my Dell Dimension 8400. I
> > even brought the packing slip along which came with the computer,
> > showing what type of memory was installed at the factory.

>
> > Some idiot at one of the electronic stores - after cross referencing it
> > on a store computer, still sold me the wrong cards. My machine went
> > bonkers after I installed the cards. I had nothing but blue screens
> > everywhere. I couldn't get into Windows. I used the F2 key and changed
> > a few things in the drive menu. Whatever I did, it allowed me the
> > following screen, and with the F1 key, I finally got back into
> > Windows. So, the following screen is what I see every time I boot up.

>
> > Opening screen before Windows

>
> > Drive 1 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-1
> > Drive 2 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
> > Drive 3 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-3
> > Drive 5 Not Found: Parallel ATA, PATA A1, (Pri IDE Slave)

>
> > Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run Setup Utility

>
> > (Let me state here, I had ZERO problems of any kind before this
> > happening.)
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------
> > I am running Windows XP Pro.

>
> > I have 5 external drives along with my A: floppy and D: CD ROM.

>
> > C: (Which came with the machine.)
> > E: A Maxtor 275 Gig external.
> > F: A Seagate Free Agent 250 Gig external
> > J: A Seagate Free Agent 500 Gig external
> > M: A Seagate Free Agent 500 Gig external

>
> > (I have virtual volumes made with BestCrypt which have the drive letters
> > G, H, I, K, and L attributed to them. That's why the listed HDs are not
> > sequential in letters.)

>
> > Despite what the F2 Setup says, all my disks are working perfectly.

>
> > Previously, I had made my CD drive the first in line to boot. This was
> > so I could use my Acronis True Image CD to recover from any Windows
> > failure. However, Since this snafu by the store idiot, my CD will not
> > boot the computer, even though I have it that way in the F2 setup
> > screen. The screen does tell me that the CD ROM is in the #1 position
> > to boot, but the comp doesn't work that way. It insists

>
> > on booting from A:. This means if I have a catastrophic failure, my
> > Acronis System Recovery CD is worthless. This was not true before this
> > nonsense happened. I know that for a fact because I checked frequently
> > by booting from the CD. I wanted to make sure everything was right just
> > in case I had a Windows failure. I took it to one repair guy who
> > wouldn't touch it because he said he had never seen such a thing
> > before.

>
> > Here is what I see when I use the F2 key:

>
> > Setup Boot Sequence

>
> > 1 Onboard CD ROM
> > 2 Onboard Floppy
> > 3 SATA HD
> > 4 IDE HD ----- Not Present
> > 5 USB Device
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Drives

>
> > Diskette
> > Drive 0: SATA 0
> > Drive 1: SATA - 1
> > Drive 2: SATA - 3
> > Drive 3: SATA - 3
> > Drive 4: PATA - 0
> > Drive 5: PATA - 1

>
> > SATA OPERATION

>
> > ===================
> > Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

>
> > Would it help if I replaced the C: drive with a new one, or is this a
> > hardware problem which would carry over?

>
> > I'm wondering if my motherboard is screwed up. I'd like to find a
> > solution to this before my C: drive fails. It's quite a few years old by
> > now. I'm also wondering if I should just stuff this box and get a new
> > one - not that I'm delighted with having to spend a few grand for this
> > solution.

>
> > ??.

>
> Ive had the blue screen before. Its just great!!! This happened to me
> when someone pulled out one of my drivers and i couldnt get on the net
> to contact them back!!! Anyway, the thing i finally did, was
> uninstall, and reinstall, and of course before that i tried any
> updates. But there where none to use. I would try updates if you can
> get to it. Windows updates is wha im referring to. If that doesnt
> work, try uninstalling, then reinstalling. Try going to control panel
> and click hardware, flail arount in there for awhile, for lack of
> better term, usually you can get to a spot where you can troubleshoot
> all your drives. One at time, of course, Since you know it is your c
> drive, at least you got that much info. When this happened to me , i
> couldnt get to internet even through safe mode. It took everything. I
> had thoughts of the file being corrupted, but that wasnt the case
> after all.Or, go back to the goofus who did this,, and see if he has
> any techs around that can help. B.T.W, I think they made the screens
> blue so it would at least have a calming effect on you when you saw
> them, over and over again. ha.


Hey, balikitty, did you ever sort your
" How do I...? > FISH FISH FISH" problem?
"can someone please help me with any info on moving fish gadgets!!
Have
4 on my desk- top page. Need to move 3 of them. Pulling my hair
out!!!"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registry bummer anthonyberet Computer Support 6 07-30-2007 06:00 PM
OT: bummer Neil MCSE 42 08-23-2005 01:58 PM
for:each bummer Roedy Green Java 5 08-03-2005 02:53 PM
Miyazaki Bummer Jordan DVD Video 8 02-25-2005 05:07 AM
maybe g mail a bummer? Annette Kurten Computer Support 1 04-10-2004 11:05 PM



Advertisments