Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless connection lost

wireless connection lost

sally

I have windows xp on my toshiba laptop. I installed a vpn and have been
using my D-link router. I received message that there is an ip conflict.
The message went away, but now I can't access the internet on my laptop. I
tried run and ipconfig/release; however, it has a message that media state:
media disconnected. I tried ipconfig/release and it says no operation can be
performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?

I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your help.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"sally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have windows xp on my toshiba laptop. I installed a vpn and have been
> using my D-link router. I received message that there is an ip conflict.
> The message went away, but now I can't access the internet on my laptop.
> tried run and ipconfig/release; however, it has a message that media
> state:
> media disconnected. I tried ipconfig/release and it says no operation can
> be
> performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
> disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?
>
> I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your
> help.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Use the process as described on this page, it might help you to pine point
the problem.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"sally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have windows xp on my toshiba laptop. I installed a vpn and have been
> using my D-link router. I received message that there is an ip conflict.
> The message went away, but now I can't access the internet on my laptop.
> tried run and ipconfig/release; however, it has a message that media
> state:
> media disconnected. I tried ipconfig/release and it says no operation can
> be
> performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
> disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?
>
> I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your
> help.

sally

Here is the results of ipconfig/all

host name :toshiba-user
Primary dns suffix:
Mode type:Broadcast
ip routing enabled:No
Wins proxy enabled:No
Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (network Bridge) 7
Media State: Media disconnected
Physical address: 02-00-39-PC-8D-DO

Hope this clarifies.

"sally" wrote:

> I have windows xp on my toshiba laptop. I installed a vpn and have been
> using my D-link router. I received message that there is an ip conflict.
> The message went away, but now I can't access the internet on my laptop. I
> tried run and ipconfig/release; however, it has a message that media state:
> media disconnected. I tried ipconfig/release and it says no operation can be
> performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
> disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?
>
> I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your help.

Barb Bowman

that isn't the complete results.
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:04:14 -0800, sally
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here is the results of ipconfig/all
>
>host name :toshiba-user
>Primary dns suffix:
>Mode type:Broadcast
>ip routing enabled:No
>Wins proxy enabled:No
>Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (network Bridge) 7
>Media State: Media disconnected
>Physical address: 02-00-39-PC-8D-DO
>
>Hope this clarifies.
>
>"sally" wrote:
>
>> I have windows xp on my toshiba laptop. I installed a vpn and have been
>> using my D-link router. I received message that there is an ip conflict.
>> The message went away, but now I can't access the internet on my laptop. I
>> tried run and ipconfig/release; however, it has a message that media state:
>> media disconnected. I tried ipconfig/release and it says no operation can be
>> performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
>> disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?
>>
>> I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your help.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

sally

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshiba-user
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-6B-C7-C7

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G USB Network
Adapte
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-8E-FC-14

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-FC-8D-D0

C:\>

I deleted the network bridge and tried to install a wireless router.

This is the results of ipconfig/all

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> that isn't the complete results.
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/
>
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:04:14 -0800, sally
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Here is the results of ipconfig/all
> >
> >host name :toshiba-user
> >Primary dns suffix:
> >Mode type:Broadcast
> >ip routing enabled:No
> >Wins proxy enabled:No
> >Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (network Bridge) 7
> >Media State: Media disconnected
> >Physical address: 02-00-39-PC-8D-DO
> >
> >Hope this clarifies.
> >
> >"sally" wrote:
> >
> >> I have windows xp on my toshiba laptop. I installed a vpn and have been
> >> using my D-link router. I received message that there is an ip conflict.
> >> The message went away, but now I can't access the internet on my laptop. I
> >> tried run and ipconfig/release; however, it has a message that media state:
> >> media disconnected. I tried ipconfig/release and it says no operation can be
> >> performed on network bridge (network bridge 7) while it has its media
> >> disconnected. How do I get another connect again to my router?
> >>
> >> I just want to be able to access the internet again. Thanks for your help.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

are you trying to use the built in Toshiba wireless or a USB
adapter? is the Toshiba wireless turned on? there is either a switch
or combination of keys you press.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:10:00 -0800, sally
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
>(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
>C:\>ipconfig/all
>
>Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshiba-user
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>
>Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-6B-C7-C7
>
>Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G USB Network
>Adapte
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-8E-FC-14
>
>Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
>Connecti
>on
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-FC-8D-D0
>
>C:\>

>I deleted the network bridge and tried to install a wireless router.
>
>This is the results of ipconfig/all

>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> that isn't the complete results.
>> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 15:04:14 -0800, sally
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Here is the results of ipconfig/all
>> >
>> >host name :toshiba-user
>> >Primary dns suffix:
>> >Mode type:Broadcast
>> >ip routing enabled:No
>> >Wins proxy enabled:No
>> >Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (network Bridge) 7
>> >Media State: Media disconnected
>> >Physical address: 02-00-39-PC-8D-DO
>> >
>> >Hope this clarifies.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

sally

I was trying to use the toshiba wireless. The switch is turned on. I tried
to install a USB adapter Belkin to see if it would find a wireless signal but
it would not connect either.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> are you trying to use the built in Toshiba wireless or a USB
> adapter? is the Toshiba wireless turned on? there is either a switch
> or combination of keys you press.
>
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:10:00 -0800, sally
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> >(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
> >
> >C:\>ipconfig/all
> >
> >Windows IP Configuration
> >
> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshiba-user
> > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
> >
> > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-6B-C7-C7
> >
> >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
> >
> > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G USB Network
> >Adapte
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-8E-FC-14
> >
> >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
> >
> > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
> >Connecti
> >on
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-FC-8D-D0
> >
> >C:\>

> >I deleted the network bridge and tried to install a wireless router.
> >
> >This is the results of ipconfig/all

> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> that isn't the complete results.
> >> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

unplug and uninstall the USB wireless adapter. Then, please use
System Restore and try going back to a restore point before you
installed the VPN adapter and started making any changes.

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:16:01 -0800, sally
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was trying to use the toshiba wireless. The switch is turned on. I tried
>to install a USB adapter Belkin to see if it would find a wireless signal but
>it would not connect either.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> are you trying to use the built in Toshiba wireless or a USB
>> adapter? is the Toshiba wireless turned on? there is either a switch
>> or combination of keys you press.
>>
>> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:10:00 -0800, sally
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
>> >(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>> >
>> >C:\>ipconfig/all
>> >
>> >Windows IP Configuration
>> >
>> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshiba-user
>> > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
>> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>> >
>> >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>> >
>> > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
>> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
>> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-6B-C7-C7
>> >
>> >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
>> >
>> > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
>> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G USB Network
>> >Adapte
>> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-8E-FC-14
>> >
>> >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>> >
>> > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
>> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
>> >Connecti
>> >on
>> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-FC-8D-D0
>> >
>> >C:\>

>> >I deleted the network bridge and tried to install a wireless router.
>> >
>> >This is the results of ipconfig/all

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

sally

I uninstalled the USB adapter, however; I dont know how to do a system
restore. How do I accomplish this? thanks.