Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Whether to do self study or a training course for MCTS?

Whether to do self study or a training course for MCTS?

nosh

I am interested in doing one of the MCTS for Vista. I noticed the course is 8
days long. I have previuosly completed a couple MCP exams (I did not do the
course, instead did self study with textbooks) and found there was alot of
information to learn. If the MCTS are similar in the amount of content I do
not know how they can teach you everything in 8 days and expect you to pass
the exam? Anyone completed one of the MCTS courses? What did you think of it,
or is better to do self study and save the money?

Mostly Gizzards

I think that the courses are somewhat silly for someone who wishes to become
certified. I mean, if I was going to hire someone and they were "certified"
to administer/configure Vista workstations, I would expect them to have more
than 8 days of experience with the technology. At least with a book, you
spend time contemplating the information, you have spent time going through
labs, and you (hopefully) use the the technology outside of the "study
bubble" that we often find ourselves in the last few weeks before an exam.

I might be misunderstanding your post, but from what I read you seem to be
expecting to become certified without actually knowing much about Vista. If
this is the case, I think you would be better served working with the
technology more, reviewing the exam objectives and seeing how much you can
absorb using the technology, and then use a self-study textbook to fill in
the blanks where maybe your organization does not choose to implement
certain Vista features.

Good luck in your studies,

MG

"nosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am interested in doing one of the MCTS for Vista. I noticed the course
> is 8
> days long. I have previuosly completed a couple MCP exams (I did not do
> the
> course, instead did self study with textbooks) and found there was alot of
> information to learn. If the MCTS are similar in the amount of content I
> do
> not know how they can teach you everything in 8 days and expect you to
> pass
> the exam? Anyone completed one of the MCTS courses? What did you think of
> it,
> or is better to do self study and save the money?

Wayne Anderson

Remember that exams are intended to certify your /Experience/ not
neccessarily whether or not you learned from a bootcamp.

That being said, a lot of people have different learning styles. The social
element of the in person training course makes it one of the most effective
ways for most students to absorb information. If you do not feel real strong
with a product and you need the kind of hands on time that you dont have a
way to get on your own, the trainign course might be a great way to start
your preparation for certification.

In such a case, you will want to make sure you are supplementing that
learning with study and hands on time on your own.

The guideline I give to the folks I teach at work is to target using at
least two different methods of study. For some folks, that may be self study
books and a podcast. That may be books and practice exams. That may be a
lab environment and books. Within one of the types of study (reading, doing,
audio, in person, hybrid) you may be using multiple resources but to really
maximize your chances at success and actually learning the material, focus on
using at least two different kinds of study material.
--
Wayne Anderson