Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Error Code oxooooo46a

Error Code oxooooo46a

Clean Right Co

I recently bought a laptop that runs Vista. I have a desktop that runs XP.
I have set up my network and when I am on my laptop, I can see my desktop and
my printers. When I tell my laptop to add a printer and I select the printer
I want, it tries to connect and then gives me a pop up that says it can't
connect and gives me the error code 0z0000046a. I have seen some posts
about this same problem, but never an actual resolution. So I am hoping
somone can help me. PLEASE!!!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

You may try to setup local printer first and remap it as network printer.
This search result may help. Please post back with the result.

Vista Print IssuesInstallation of printer in Vista receive a error message
.... Many Vista printer issues are solved by installing the printer as a
Local Printer ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Clean Right Co" <Clean Right http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently bought a laptop that runs Vista. I have a desktop that runs XP.
> I have set up my network and when I am on my laptop, I can see my desktop
> and
> my printers. When I tell my laptop to add a printer and I select the
> printer
> I want, it tries to connect and then gives me a pop up that says it can't
> connect and gives me the error code 0z0000046a. I have seen some posts
> about this same problem, but never an actual resolution. So I am hoping
> somone can help me. PLEASE!!!

Clean Right Co

Robert,
Sorry, but I'm kind of computer illiterate. Do you mean that I should try
to set it up on my laptop as a Local Printer? And if so, does this mean I
will need to actually hook it up with a cable? Also, if this is so, I only
have the software for my XP.

Thank you,
Erica

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may try to setup local printer first and remap it as network printer.
> This search result may help. Please post back with the result.
>
> Vista Print IssuesInstallation of printer in Vista receive a error message
> .... Many Vista printer issues are solved by installing the printer as a
> Local Printer ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Clean Right Co" <Clean Right (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I recently bought a laptop that runs Vista. I have a desktop that runs XP.
> > I have set up my network and when I am on my laptop, I can see my desktop
> > and
> > my printers. When I tell my laptop to add a printer and I select the
> > printer
> > I want, it tries to connect and then gives me a pop up that says it can't
> > connect and gives me the error code 0z0000046a. I have seen some posts
> > about this same problem, but never an actual resolution. So I am hoping
> > somone can help me. PLEASE!!!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

No, you don't need to connect the printer to the Vista. However, if you do,
it may help. The link I posted has many details. Please post back with the
result.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"Clean Right Co" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert,
> Sorry, but I'm kind of computer illiterate. Do you mean that I should try
> to set it up on my laptop as a Local Printer? And if so, does this mean I
> will need to actually hook it up with a cable? Also, if this is so, I
> only
> have the software for my XP.
>
> Thank you,
> Erica
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You may try to setup local printer first and remap it as network printer.
>> This search result may help. Please post back with the result.
>>
>> Vista Print IssuesInstallation of printer in Vista receive a error
>> message
>> .... Many Vista printer issues are solved by installing the printer as a
>> Local Printer ...
>> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Clean Right Co" <Clean Right (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I recently bought a laptop that runs Vista. I have a desktop that runs
>> >XP.
>> > I have set up my network and when I am on my laptop, I can see my
>> > desktop
>> > and
>> > my printers. When I tell my laptop to add a printer and I select the
>> > printer
>> > I want, it tries to connect and then gives me a pop up that says it
>> > can't
>> > connect and gives me the error code 0z0000046a. I have seen some posts
>> > about this same problem, but never an actual resolution. So I am
>> > hoping
>> > somone can help me. PLEASE!!!

Clean Right Co

Robert,
OK, went to your link provided, seems many people are having the same
problem! I tried the local port. I new have the Printer in my laptop's
printers, but when I try to add a new local port with the
\\computername\printername, it says the network name is invalid. It is the
name of the computer that my printer is hooked up to. So?!! Now what? Any
suggestions?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

The local port is lpt1 or lpt2.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"Clean Right Co" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert,
> OK, went to your link provided, seems many people are having the same
> problem! I tried the local port. I new have the Printer in my laptop's
> printers, but when I try to add a new local port with the
> \\computername\printername, it says the network name is invalid. It is
> the
> name of the computer that my printer is hooked up to. So?!! Now what?
> Any
> suggestions?
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> No, you don't need to connect the printer to the Vista. However, if you
>> do,
>> it may help. The link I posted has many details. Please post back with
>> the
>> result.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Clean Right Co" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Robert,
>> > Sorry, but I'm kind of computer illiterate. Do you mean that I should
>> > try
>> > to set it up on my laptop as a Local Printer? And if so, does this
>> > mean I
>> > will need to actually hook it up with a cable? Also, if this is so, I
>> > only
>> > have the software for my XP.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Erica

Clean Right Co

Yes, I went through port lpt1. When I put the information in,
\\computername\printername through port lpt1. No Go! It says that the
Network name is wrong.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> The local port is lpt1 or lpt2.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Clean Right Co" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Robert,
> > OK, went to your link provided, seems many people are having the same
> > problem! I tried the local port. I new have the Printer in my laptop's
> > printers, but when I try to add a new local port with the
> > \\computername\printername, it says the network name is invalid. It is
> > the
> > name of the computer that my printer is hooked up to. So?!! Now what?
> > Any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> No, you don't need to connect the printer to the Vista. However, if you
> >> do,
> >> it may help. The link I posted has many details. Please post back with
> >> the
> >> result.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "Clean Right Co" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Do you have a space between printer and name? Post back with the result of
net view \\computername. Also this post may help too if it is name
resolution issue.

Network path could not be found when adding networ printer
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=3209