Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > three columns with CSS

three columns with CSS

Bazley

CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

A-OK-SITE

On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

Bazely,

Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.

http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

To center on the page set the container div margin to auto.

#samplediv {margin:auto;}

For more help see

http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/index.html

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com

A-OK-SITE

On Jan 28, 3:19 pm, A-OK-SITE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
> > three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
> > the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
> > space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
> > code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

> Bazely,
>
> Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.
>
> http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf
>
> To center on the page set the container div margin to auto.
>
> #samplediv {margin:auto;}
>
> For more help see
>
> http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/index.html
>
> Daniel
>
> http://a-ok-site.com

Bazley,

Sorry for the typo on your name.

Since that is how my website is set up let know if you have any
problems.

Daniel

Http://a-ok-site.com

A-OK-SITE

On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

Bazley,

Sorry for the typo on your name.

Since that is how my website is set up let know if you have any
problems.

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com

Nik Coughlin

"Bazley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

http://www.nrkn.com/3ColEqualPositioned/

rf

"A-OK-SITE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
>> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
>> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
>> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
>> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

> Bazely,
>
> Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.
>
> http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

A power point presentation inside a pdf? Surely you jest. This is the web
not the boardroom.

--
Richard.

A-OK-SITE

On Jan 28, 3:51 pm, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "A-OK-SITE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On Jan 28, 2:59 pm, Bazley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
> >> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
> >> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
> >> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
> >> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

> > Bazely,

> > Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.

> >http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

> A power point presentation inside a pdf? Surely you jest. This is the web
> not the boardroom.
>
> --
> Richard.

Why would you care, I made it for a class and just converted it to
pdf. If you don't like it, stay the away from my web site. Is that
simple enough for you to understand.

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com

SigelsTankMage@gmail.com

http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp

On Jan 28, 2:59*pm, Bazley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

rf

"A-OK-SITE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jan 28, 3:51 pm, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "A-OK-SITE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Bazely,

>> > Try this it lays it out in a step by step easy to understand format.

>> >http://a-ok-site.com/webdesign/xhtml_basics/ch10.pdf

>> A power point presentation inside a pdf? Surely you jest. This is the web
>> not the boardroom.
>>
>> --
>> Richard.

> Why would you care,

I would care because you are trying to palm off this pdf as usefull
information to the OP and to this newsgroup at large.

> I made it for a class and just converted it to
> pdf.

Right. The OP breezes in to your pdf expecting to be enlightened on how to
build a three column layout. OP finds the relevant example on page 18 out of
28, after a sequential search because there is no table of contents in your
pdf and there are no links anywhere.

Great, thinks OP, and scrolls down to look at the next page, page 19, where
OP is told to
"Review the CSS on threecolumn.htm from the Student Files."

What bloody student files? This whole exercise has been a total waste of
time for the OP. Why did you even post a link to such useless rubbish.

> If you don't like it, stay the away from my web site. Is that
> simple enough for you to understand.

And I'll extend this invitation to stay away from your web site to everybody
else. There is no point in visiting a link to a pdf from A-OK-SITE because
you will not learn anything, and *every* link opn the "web design" page is a
link to a pdf.

He's a damn google grouper as well!.

--
Richard.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Nik Coughlin:

> "Bazley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> CSS is unbelievably unwieldy. All I want to do is have a page with
>> three columns. The left and right columns should be fixed width and
>> the central column should adjust its width to fill in the remaining
>> space. Such a simple concept is, I believe, virtually impossible to
>> code. If anyone can do it I would be very impressed.

> http://www.nrkn.com/3ColEqualPositioned/

I think the page nicely demonstrates what Bazley wrote, at least the
"unwieldy" part. It uses fairly complicated tricks to achieve a simple
layout that virtually anyone familiar with HTML basics could code in a
minute using a simple HTML table. Which approach is easier to apply?
Easier for maintenance? Easier to understand when you're reading someone
else's code?

(Besides, the page cheats by using IE-specific quite nonstandard CSS
features, which are effectively kind of client-side scripting.)

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/