Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Multi dislay systems

Multi dislay systems

Dan Gill

Does anyone know how to run 12 monitors from 1 machine?
I have been told that no Windows version can support more than 10 monitors.
I am using an Intel dp35dp motherboard with 1 PCI Express x16, 3 PCI Express
x1 and 3 conventional PCI slots.
The processor is quad core and I would like to run Windows XP pro 64 bit

Magnus Flysjö

"Dan Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know how to run 12 monitors from 1 machine?
> I have been told that no Windows version can support more than 10
> monitors.
> I am using an Intel dp35dp motherboard with 1 PCI Express x16, 3 PCI
> Express
> x1 and 3 conventional PCI slots.
> The processor is quad core and I would like to run Windows XP pro 64 bit

Check out Matrox website
http://www.matrox.com

They got some quad products, like this one (they have 64-bit drivers for
both Vista and XP):
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/fi...s/g450quad.php

/Magnus

Dan Gill

Thanks Magnus;
My problem, I believe, is with Windows.
I have been told that Windows will not support more than 10 monitors without
choaking.
Any ideas?

Colin Barnhorst

That is a defined limitation. I believe that it is also a limitation stated
in the EULA. While it can be changed (I believe in the registry), doing so
would put the user out of compliance with the license.

"Dan Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Magnus;
> My problem, I believe, is with Windows.
> I have been told that Windows will not support more than 10 monitors
> without choaking.
> Any ideas?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Why would the EULA care how many monitors are connected, as long as it's
only one console?

Of course, we haven't quite gotten much of a clue of what Dan is trying to
do here that requires more than 10 monitors.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is a defined limitation. I believe that it is also a limitation
> stated in the EULA. While it can be changed (I believe in the registry),
> doing so would put the user out of compliance with the license.
>
> "Dan Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Magnus;
>> My problem, I believe, is with Windows.
>> I have been told that Windows will not support more than 10 monitors
>> without choaking.
>> Any ideas?

Colin Barnhorst

I may be misremembering which items are noted in the EULA. Connections is
one, for example, and the clause prohibiting workarounds would kick in. I
probably have crossed items in my mind. Just something to always keep in
mind.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would the EULA care how many monitors are connected, as long as it's
> only one console?
>
> Of course, we haven't quite gotten much of a clue of what Dan is trying to
> do here that requires more than 10 monitors.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That is a defined limitation. I believe that it is also a limitation
>> stated in the EULA. While it can be changed (I believe in the registry),
>> doing so would put the user out of compliance with the license.
>>
>> "Dan Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Magnus;
>>> My problem, I believe, is with Windows.
>>> I have been told that Windows will not support more than 10 monitors
>>> without choaking.
>>> Any ideas?

Dan Gill

The systems are for stock trading and the customer has requested 12 monitors
per machine. I think he heard of someone else running 12 and wants to be on
the bleeding edge.
With all of the problems involved, I think the wise thing to do is use 8
monitors per machine and use a couple of extra machines.
The customer wants a 48 x 19" LCD screen display with a seperate machine to
run 3 x 24" , 3 x 30" and have the capability of displaying video from any
of the screens on 1 to 3 52" TV's .
This is a wonderfull exercise in understanding something I am not familliar
with.
Also, I understand there is a memory addressing issue where you loose
available memory for each video card added.
Is this also true for the 64 bit edition of Windows?
Thanks for all the help so far, you guys have given me lots to think about
and I am willing to check out any other ideas you may have.
regards
Dan

Charlie Russel - MVP

An interesting scenario, certainly.

On the memory issue. each card will want some memory (and this makes the 4
head cards from Matrox a good bet here), and the total video memory will
affect how much. BUT, since x64 is not limited to 4 GB of memory address
space, you can regain your memory on 64bit XP/Vista by using the BIOS to
remap the memory.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Dan Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The systems are for stock trading and the customer has requested 12
> monitors per machine. I think he heard of someone else running 12 and
> wants to be on the bleeding edge.
> With all of the problems involved, I think the wise thing to do is use 8
> monitors per machine and use a couple of extra machines.
> The customer wants a 48 x 19" LCD screen display with a seperate machine
> to run 3 x 24" , 3 x 30" and have the capability of displaying video from
> any of the screens on 1 to 3 52" TV's .
> This is a wonderfull exercise in understanding something I am not
> familliar with.
> Also, I understand there is a memory addressing issue where you loose
> available memory for each video card added.
> Is this also true for the 64 bit edition of Windows?
> Thanks for all the help so far, you guys have given me lots to think about
> and I am willing to check out any other ideas you may have.
> regards
> Dan

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yeah, I knew which clause you were referring to, but I don't think it
applies. This is simply a display issue, not a connections issue. OTOH, the
memory issue would definitely be a problem on 32-bit Windows, since each
additional video card is going to need its own memory address space. It's
going to get crowded above 2GB on a 32-bit OS.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I may be misremembering which items are noted in the EULA. Connections is
>one, for example, and the clause prohibiting workarounds would kick in. I
>probably have crossed items in my mind. Just something to always keep in
>mind.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why would the EULA care how many monitors are connected, as long as it's
>> only one console?
>>
>> Of course, we haven't quite gotten much of a clue of what Dan is trying
>> to do here that requires more than 10 monitors.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> That is a defined limitation. I believe that it is also a limitation
>>> stated in the EULA. While it can be changed (I believe in the
>>> registry), doing so would put the user out of compliance with the
>>> license.
>>>
>>> "Dan Gill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Yeah, 12 outputs would probably have to be a custom job.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...