Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Porting number from Viatalk?

Porting number from Viatalk?

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Does anybody know whether I will be given a new number [like when I first
signed up] if I port my existing number from Viatalk? I have a remaining
balance of 14 months, but am considering moving to another provider. I want
to know if my Viatalk service will be terminated automatically by the port or
whether I will be given a different number.

It doesn't affect my decision whether to port either way, just whether I keep
an ATA line open with Viatalk or not.

FWIW ... I originally ported my number into Viatalk; the number is not a
Viatalk originated number, but rather, it was originated by QWest.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Wishing without work is like fishing without bait.
-- Frank Tyger

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anybody know whether I will be given a new number [like when I first
> signed up] if I port my existing number from Viatalk? I have a remaining
> balance of 14 months, but am considering moving to another provider. I want
> to know if my Viatalk service will be terminated automatically by the port or
> whether I will be given a different number.
>
> It doesn't affect my decision whether to port either way, just whether I keep
> an ATA line open with Viatalk or not.
>
> FWIW ... I originally ported my number into Viatalk; the number is not a
> Viatalk originated number, but rather, it was originated by QWest.

BTW ... I would ask Viatalk, but it takes months for them to get back to you
when you post a ticket and I am not going to wait on hold forever to get the
answer. So, I am just hoping that somebody here might have had this
experience and could report back.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Wishing without work is like fishing without bait.
-- Frank Tyger

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anybody know whether I will be given a new number [like when I first
> signed up] if I port my existing number from Viatalk? I have a remaining
> balance of 14 months, but am considering moving to another provider. I want
> to know if my Viatalk service will be terminated automatically by the port or
> whether I will be given a different number.
>
> It doesn't affect my decision whether to port either way, just whether I keep
> an ATA line open with Viatalk or not.
>
> FWIW ... I originally ported my number into Viatalk; the number is not a
> Viatalk originated number, but rather, it was originated by QWest.

In spite of the lack of replies, I thought it worth following up anyway. It
doesn't appear I will be porting from Viatalk anytime soon. While I have had
some issues with Viatalk, my success rate with other providers has been hit or
miss. Concentric is rated highly and yet voice is very choppy (even using
g.729a) during the Internet "happy hour". It seems they don't have enough
servers and provisioning to set me up with the best route. So far, the same
goes for Voicepulse. I have them for a month, and so far, they have
completely taken over my ATA (PAP2T-NA), downgraded the firmware and left me
with voice even worse than Callcentric duing the same time period. Late
evening through this morning has been fine. Oddly, chosing a higher
compression codec with Voicepulse resulting in WORSE quality, not better. The
same adapter works well with Viatalk [and my manual provisioning].

So far, I guess I can deal with the occassional echo and odd probem with
Viatalk [like the dial out problems they had last month or short outage].

Vonage worked well for me also, but lacked features and didn't have any better
quality than Viatalk [other than they suffer fewer outages].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Wishing without work is like fishing without bait.
-- Frank Tyger

Porting a landline number to a VoIP provider - with a twist! Linker3000 UK VOIP 10 09-06-2007 04:59 PM
VSPs allowing BT number porting? Mike UK VOIP 14 01-19-2007 06:33 PM
number porting Adam Lipscombe UK VOIP 6 09-16-2006 12:41 AM
Porting number from Telewest to a voip provider Chris UK VOIP 0 04-23-2006 12:41 AM
VoIP and landline number porting Clueless2 UK VOIP 11 04-02-2006 06:47 PM

Advertisments