Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Automatic cache cleaning extension?

Automatic cache cleaning extension?

FleaBittenDog

Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
Firefox cache at specified intervals?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

FleaBittenDog wrote:
> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox
and see what you come up with

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

FleaBittenDog

"Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:fnl1rp$8o5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> FleaBittenDog wrote:
>> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
>> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

> look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see what
> you come up with

Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

Ian Whyte

"FleaBittenDog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3b9d$479e4612$483111ec$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fnl1rp$8o5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> FleaBittenDog wrote:
>>> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out
>>> the
>>> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

>> look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see
>> what you come up with
>>

> Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

If you download the add on Fasterfox you can right click and take the
option to clear cache whenever you like.

HTH

Ian

Rom

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:16:32 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:

> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:fnl1rp$8o5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> FleaBittenDog wrote:
>>> Is there a Firefox extension that will automatically clean out the
>>> Firefox cache at specified intervals?

>> look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see what
>> you come up with

> Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
<http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>

--
Rom

FleaBittenDog

"Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:154bf9aeco4o6.oqlduzlly407$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:16:32 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:
>
>> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in message news:fnl1rp$8o5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> look around here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox and see what
>>> you come up with

>> Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

> It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
> a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
> <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>
>
> --
> Rom

I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.

Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a lot
of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is another
reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out the cache
when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from using up too
much memory.

FleaBittenDog

>That is another reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans
>out the cache when the browser is restarted.

I should have wrote....."it cleans out the cache when the browser is
closed."

Rom

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:52:50 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:

> I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
> Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.

That seems the same as what the Clear Cache button from Toolbar Extras
does.

> Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a lot
> of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is another
> reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out the cache
> when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from using up too
> much memory.

I used to clear the cache etc. when closing on another older slower
system, and also didn't leave Firefox running when not using it. Now
it's not really a problem as this system isn't lacking in memory.

--
Rom

Dan C

FleaBittenDog wrote:
> "Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:154bf9aeco4o6.oqlduzlly407$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:16:32 -0500, FleaBittenDog wrote:
>>
>>> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Been there, done that already. Couldn't find anything.

>> It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
>> a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
>> <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>
>>
>> --
>> Rom

> I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
> Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.
>
> Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a lot
> of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is another
> reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out the cache
> when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from using up too
> much memory.

Has it helped noticeably??

FleaBittenDog

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gBKnj.45266$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> FleaBittenDog wrote:
>> "Rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:154bf9aeco4o6.oqlduzlly407$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It's not automatic, but have a look at "Toolbar Extras" which includes
>>> a toolbar button for Clear Cache, and not on addons.mozilla.org afaik:
>>> <http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rom

>> I use an extension called 'Clear Cache Button.' You add it to the
>> Firefox toolbar, and it works fine. But it is not automatic.
>>
>> Firefox is the best browser available, IMO, but it does gobble up a
>> lot of system memory when it has been used for several hours. That is
>> another reason why I changed the Firefox settings so that it cleans out
>> the cache when the browser is restarted. Anything to keep Firefox from
>> using up too much memory.

> Has it helped noticeably??

I suppose Firefox doesn't crash as often, now that I monitor the cache
more frequently. But it isn't a huge difference.

Cleaning out cache History Fan Firefox 5 11-16-2005 09:34 AM
Automatic build process + automatic NuNit (2 in 1 solution) ASP .Net 1 06-29-2004 04:15 PM
cleaning your cookies cache EDWARD DOYLE Computer Support 5 04-10-2004 05:31 AM
Cleaning IE Cache in XP Mike Computer Support 3 02-09-2004 04:18 AM
Cleaning IE Cache in XP Mike Computer Security 1 02-03-2004 06:01 AM

Advertisments