Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: How remove Gateway?

Re: How remove Gateway?

Don Phillipson

> "Don Phillipson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For no good reason I configured an Internet Gateway under
>> WinXP wrongly supposing it would help reconfigure the
>> connection (first by wireless to another router in the building,
>> thence by wireless modem to the Internet.) It obviously
>> does not help and I do not need it -- but I cannot remove this
>> Internet Gateway which reports itself active all the time
>> but disallows email and browser traffic. What to do?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> . . . take out the network cards and boot one time without them.
> That would clean the Network system.
> Switch Off insert the cards and reboot you would get a clean Network
> startup and can reconfigure to your special needs.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>I am not sure I understand the issue. How did you configure the Internet
>gateway? Using route command? If yes,, you should use router delete command
>to delete the route.

Clarification (sorry I was unclear
Upstairs WinXP PC is connected via wireless card to
downstairs Win98PC which has
wireless router (connecting with upstairs) and
wireless modem (to Internet: no cable here.)

First implementation worked OK Nov. 2007 until last month
when the power supply failed in the downstairs PC requiring
reinstallation of the Win98SE OS. (Meanwhile the router
and wireless modem still connected the upstairs WinXP to
the Internet.) Troubles appeared only after reinstallation of
Win98 downstairs.

I could then (a) restore OK the wireless network linking upstairs
and downstairs PCs but (b) not Internet access i.e. neither PC
could connect to Internet via wireless modem as formerly.

Then I noticed on WinXP Networks menu "Internet Gateway" and thought that
might help. It did not so I decided to remove it . . . no luck.

1. On the Upstairs XP PC I cannot delete from the Network Connections
the new item Internet Gateway. (All I can do is remove its functions -- but
it still reports NNN packets sent or received.)

2. An "Internet Gateway" has installed itself on the downstairs Win98 PC,
that also tends to hang the system -- and I cannot get rid of this either.
Notably its Disable button appears not to work i.e. Systray Icon remains
present signalling "Gateway active."

(The home wireless network has also changed to one-way.
The upstairs XP sees all downstairs Win98 drives as normal:
but the upstairs XP has vanished from the downstairs Network Neighborhood.)

Neither PC can now connect via the wireless modem and the
Win98 system appears unstable with the Internet Gateway
loaded. No menus suggest how to remove this from either PC..

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

--