Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Standby problems - startup better?

XP Standby problems - startup better?

Barb

Hi. I have a Dell Demension 8400 running XP and it can't seem to recover
properly from Standby. I can put it manually into Standby OK, but when I
come back to it, it appears to start back OK but nothing works properly, it
won't restart or switch off, and I often end up having to switch off with
the power switch.

This is generally a pain, since I come back to the PC repeatedly during the
day. I've Googled the problem and it seems to be a common a very diverse
problem, with a myriad of causes.

Questions: (1) Anyone got any ideas? (2) Is it harmful to continually
shut down and restart a PC?

I can switch the monitor off, obviously, but more power would be saved if I
could get the machine to switch off temporarily.

Thanks.

Barb

wisdomkiller & pain

Barb wrote:

> Hi. I have a Dell Demension 8400 running XP and it can't seem to recover
> properly from Standby. I can put it manually into Standby OK, but when I
> come back to it, it appears to start back OK but nothing works properly,
> it won't restart or switch off, and I often end up having to switch off
> with the power switch.
>
> This is generally a pain, since I come back to the PC repeatedly during
> the
> day. I've Googled the problem and it seems to be a common a very diverse
> problem, with a myriad of causes.
>
> Questions: (1) Anyone got any ideas? (2) Is it harmful to continually
> shut down and restart a PC?
>
> I can switch the monitor off, obviously, but more power would be saved if
> I could get the machine to switch off temporarily.

So use hibernate instead. It is a option under energy settings, just check
the box and setup ("advanced") hibernate instead of standby.
If you deliberately want to hibernate, press the shift key and the standby
button turns into hibernate, once you activated the power setting.

chuckcar

"Barb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi. I have a Dell Demension 8400 running XP and it can't seem to
> recover properly from Standby. I can put it manually into Standby OK,
> but when I come back to it, it appears to start back OK but nothing
> works properly, it won't restart or switch off, and I often end up
> having to switch off with the power switch.
>
> This is generally a pain, since I come back to the PC repeatedly
> during the day. I've Googled the problem and it seems to be a common
> a very diverse problem, with a myriad of causes.
>
> Questions: (1) Anyone got any ideas? (2) Is it harmful to
> continually shut down and restart a PC?

1. Disconnect any external devices such as anything on USB and firewire.
Failing that fixing it, disable *everything* in startup to see if that
fixes the problem. If it does, you know what do start eliminating from.
Try going into standby *immediately* after the computer is finished
booting - pointing towards some program you run. If all this fails start
again after removing *both* the ACPI system and power buttons under
system in device manager (as administrator) along with the stardard
floppy disk controller. This last fixes a corrupt power management. This
last you will havbe to do before each of the above along with a restart.

2. Ever since windows 95 came on the market. Also probably not the
healthiest thing for a power supply.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )