Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Photo Gallery. What is best practice? List or Divs?

Photo Gallery. What is best practice? List or Divs?

Ed

I know some HTML and CSS and want to use these tools, avoiding the use
of tables, to set up a gallery of thumbnail images which I can click on
to see the full sized image.

From what I read here and elsewhere, there seems to be two approaches:

One is to create a basic unordered list of thumbnails (and any
associated text) and float these.

The second, is to put each thumbnail within its own div (with associated
text) and float these.

Is there any significant advantages/disadvantages to using the list
approach to using the div approach?

Many thanks,
Ed

Andy Dingley

On 28 Jan, 13:07, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:

> Is there any significant advantages/disadvantages to using the list
> approach to using the div approach?

No, absolutely none. For any "significant" advantage at least.

What _is_ significant is that a sequence of floated boxes (either way
you describe) has better fluid behaviour than <table> markup.

<ul><li>... markup is arguably more appropriate than meaningless
thumbnails. That's pretty tenuous though.

Default CSS rendering of <div> is likely to be more appropriate than
for <ul><li>, in some fallback cases.

Neither of these distinctions is major. I'd use <div>

Sid

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:07:52 +0000, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:

: I know some HTML and CSS and want to use these tools, avoiding the use
: of tables

But tables is the most convenient tool for this...

Sid

Travis Newbury

On Jan 28, 8:07 am, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:
> Is there any significant advantages/disadvantages to using the list
> approach to using the div approach?

This is where some simple Flash really shines.

Chaddy2222

On Jan 29, 12:36*am, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 8:07 am, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:
>
> > Is there any significant advantages/disadvantages to using the list
> > approach to using the div approach?

> This is where some simple Flash really shines.

I agree especially if you want a slide show type effect where a user
clicks on an arrow and the next pic is visible.

Els

Chaddy2222 wrote:
> On Jan 29, 12:36*am, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 8:07 am, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:

[linked thumbnails on a page]
>> This is where some simple Flash really shines.

> I agree especially if you want a slide show type effect where a user
> clicks on an arrow and the next pic is visible.

HTML is easy enough for arrows between pictures.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jeff

Chaddy2222 wrote:
> On Jan 29, 12:36 am, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 8:07 am, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any significant advantages/disadvantages to using the list
>>> approach to using the div approach?

>> This is where some simple Flash really shines.

> I agree especially if you want a slide show type effect where a user
> clicks on an arrow and the next pic is visible.

Not exactly hard to do using javascript. And amongst the general
populace, javascript is widely left on.

Jeff
> --
> Regards Chad. http://freewebdesignonline.org

A-OK-SITE

On Jan 28, 7:07 am, Ed <ex@directory> wrote:
> I know some HTML and CSS and want to use these tools, avoiding the use
> of tables, to set up a gallery of thumbnail images which I can click on
> to see the full sized image.
>
> From what I read here and elsewhere, there seems to be two approaches:
>
> One is to create a basic unordered list of thumbnails (and any
> associated text) and float these.
>
> The second, is to put each thumbnail within its own div (with associated
> text) and float these.
>
> Is there any significant advantages/disadvantages to using the list
> approach to using the div approach?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ed

Ed,

Check out this software it works great and creates valid pages
http://jalbum.net/

For a working example visit http://a-ok-site.com/carrie_underwoo...ery/index.html

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com

Travis Newbury

On Jan 28, 9:41 am, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> This is where some simple Flash really shines.

> > I agree especially if you want a slide show type effect where a user
> > clicks on an arrow and the next pic is visible.

> HTML is easy enough for arrows between pictures.

But does it "shine"?

A-OK-SITE

On Jan 28, 11:33 am, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I agree especially if you want a slide show type effect where a user
> > > clicks on an arrow and the next pic is visible.

> > HTML is easy enough for arrows between pictures.

> But does it "shine"?

I think so, but you need to check it out to see if it meets your
needs. It is fully customizable and offers many ready made skins. It
is free to use and runs on your computer, so download it play around
and see what you think. It also has FTP capabilities. I think you be
pleasantly surprised, and I love it.

Daniel

http://a-ok-site.com