Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > what security software should i get ?

what security software should i get ?

randall@nowhere.net

Can some people with experience here advise me as to what security
suite software (antivirus, firewall, antispam) to get for MS Windows
XP? (free or commercial, but I am suspicious generally of free
software for MS-Windows that often has viruses and annoying popup
malware associated with it)

To be honest, I have been using Ubuntu Linux for quite some time, on
dual boot systems (WinXP and Linux). I find myself increasingly in
need of only MS-Windows for the software I need to run (Sony Vegas,
Sony ACID Pro, Movie Magic screenwriting software, etc) and may be
just foregoing linux or perhaps taking it off my systems entirely.
Thus my concern for protecting myself from viruses, trojans, etc.
Today I downloaded and am running a trial version of Kaspersky
internet security, just to have something at least for 30 days. But I
am open to any security suite, as long as it does not slow down or jam
up MS-Windows too much.
~Randall

Straight Talk

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:05:29 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can some people with experience here advise me as to what security
>suite software (antivirus, firewall, antispam) to get for MS Windows
>XP? (free or commercial, but I am suspicious generally of free
>software for MS-Windows that often has viruses and annoying popup
>malware associated with it)

Why do you think you need a security suite at all?

jim

NOD32 Antivirus is great if you stick with version 2.7.

DO NOT USE VERSION 3.0 AND DEFINITELY STAY AWAY FROM ESET SECURITY SUITE.
They fvked it up, but say they are working to fix it.

jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can some people with experience here advise me as to what security
> suite software (antivirus, firewall, antispam) to get for MS Windows
> XP? (free or commercial, but I am suspicious generally of free
> software for MS-Windows that often has viruses and annoying popup
> malware associated with it)
>
> To be honest, I have been using Ubuntu Linux for quite some time, on
> dual boot systems (WinXP and Linux). I find myself increasingly in
> need of only MS-Windows for the software I need to run (Sony Vegas,
> Sony ACID Pro, Movie Magic screenwriting software, etc) and may be
> just foregoing linux or perhaps taking it off my systems entirely.
> Thus my concern for protecting myself from viruses, trojans, etc.
> Today I downloaded and am running a trial version of Kaspersky
> internet security, just to have something at least for 30 days. But I
> am open to any security suite, as long as it does not slow down or jam
> up MS-Windows too much.
> ~Randall

Sebastian G.

jim wrote something...

Well, why should we lsten to the security advices of someone who abuses
Outlook Express as a newsreader?

jim

*You* shouldn't - run out and install ESS 3.0.

jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

jim wrote:

> *You* shouldn't - run out and install ESS 3.0.

OK, asking again more precisely: Why should *anyone* listen to the security
advices of someone (*you*) who has obviously no clue about security?

espresso

> Can some people with experience here advise me as to what security
> suite software (antivirus, firewall, antispam) to get for MS Windows
> XP? (free or commercial, but I am suspicious generally of free
> software for MS-Windows that often has viruses and annoying popup
> malware associated with it)
>
> To be honest, I have been using Ubuntu Linux for quite some time, on
> dual boot systems (WinXP and Linux). I find myself increasingly in
> need of only MS-Windows for the software I need to run (Sony Vegas,
> Sony ACID Pro, Movie Magic screenwriting software, etc) and may be
> just foregoing linux or perhaps taking it off my systems entirely.
> Thus my concern for protecting myself from viruses, trojans, etc.
> Today I downloaded and am running a trial version of Kaspersky
> internet security, just to have something at least for 30 days. But I
> am open to any security suite, as long as it does not slow down or jam
> up MS-Windows too much.
> ~Randall

The suites tend to be bloated and a heavy drain on resources (esp.
Norton). What's more, they give many people a false sense of security.
They have limitations and there are more important things to do to
secure your system (close unneeded ports and services, get a router,
don't use admin, keep up to date on patches).

That said, there is free stuff that works together as well as any
integrated suite (Avg, AntiVir, ZoneAlarm, SpyBot). You'll find
comparisons on the Web, do some looking. I used Windows for years and
this patchwork approach worked well for me.

Jon

vodk4

NOD32 anti virus is the best solution brother and the best one around.

--
vodk4
vodk4's Profile: http://www.digital-update.com/forums....php?userid=71

Casper

http://www.free-av.com (Avira free antivirus)

Grisoft free antivirus (google)

Only one of them! Or youll have problems

louise

vodk4 wrote:
> NOD32 anti virus is the best solution brother and the best one around.

And I'm not having any problems with version 3. In fact, it
scans a lot faster.

Louise