Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Restricting camera use?

Restricting camera use?

Steve

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../24/94733/7581

A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
only to take certain kinds of pictures -

You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
privacy.

--

In 1969, I published a small book on Humility.
It was a pioneering work which has not, to my knowledge, been superseded.

....Lord Longford

Neil Harrington

Steve wrote:
> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../24/94733/7581
>

> A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
> only to take certain kinds of pictures -
>
> You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
> sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
> be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
> forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
> integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
> professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
> and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
> the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
> unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
> privacy.

Sounds like Fuji is just afraid of getting sued for something or other, and
these days who can blame them. Otherwise I doubt they really care what you
use the camera for.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neil
Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
> > only to take certain kinds of pictures -
> >
> > You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
> > sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
> > be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
> > forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
> > integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
> > professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
> > and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
> > the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
> > unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
> > privacy.

> Sounds like Fuji is just afraid of getting sued for something or other, and
> these days who can blame them. Otherwise I doubt they really care what you
> use the camera for.

because the camera can shoot uv/ir, it can be used to 'see through'
clothing in some circumstances. fuji doesn't want to be seen as
promoting it as a voyeuristic tool, thus the restriction. obviously,
there's virtually no way they can enforce it.

mianileng@yahoo.com

On Jan 27, 11:59*pm, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../24/94733/7581
>
> A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
> only to take certain kinds of pictures -
>
> You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
> sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
> be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
> forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
> integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
> professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
> and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
> the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
> unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
> privacy.

I didn't go to the link, but judging from the part you quoted, Fuji
don't allow their technology to be used for, say, taking a snapshot
of one's own cat in the dark, which certainly wouldn't qualify as a
"professional nature" shot or as a "business purpose" !!!

Jer

nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neil
> Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
>>> only to take certain kinds of pictures -
>>>
>>> You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
>>> sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
>>> be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
>>> forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
>>> integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
>>> professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
>>> and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
>>> the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
>>> unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
>>> privacy.

>> Sounds like Fuji is just afraid of getting sued for something or other, and
>> these days who can blame them. Otherwise I doubt they really care what you
>> use the camera for.

> because the camera can shoot uv/ir, it can be used to 'see through'
> clothing in some circumstances. fuji doesn't want to be seen as
> promoting it as a voyeuristic tool, thus the restriction. obviously,
> there's virtually no way they can enforce it.

It's not a restriction, per se, it's a disclaimer statement. They have
no purpose in enforcing such a thing, this statement is nothing more
than the legal beagles barking at the moon.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Rich

On Jan 27, 1:59 pm, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../24/94733/7581
>
> A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
> only to take certain kinds of pictures -
>
> You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
> sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
> be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
> forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
> integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
> professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
> and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
> the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
> unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
> privacy.
>
> --
>
> In 1969, I published a small book on Humility.
> It was a pioneering work which has not, to my knowledge, been superseded.
>
> ...Lord Longford

Dear Fuji. Go F--- yourself and TRY to make any of that nonsense hold
up in court.

Jufi

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../24/94733/7581
>

> A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
> only to take certain kinds of pictures -
>
> You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
> sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
> be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
> forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
> integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
> professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
> and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
> the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
> unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
> privacy.

Just Fuji's lawyers covering the company's ass. Nobody really cares how you
use your camera.

Lazlo Lebrun

Steve wrote:
> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../24/94733/7581
>

> A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
> only to take certain kinds of pictures -
>
> You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
> sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
> be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
> forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
> integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
> professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
> and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
> the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
> unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
> privacy.

Haven't you been authorized to use it for "fine art photography" and
"photographic education"?

Laszlo

Tom Yost

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:59:14 -0800, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../24/94733/7581
>

>A camera with a EULA that allows only certain people to use it, and
>only to take certain kinds of pictures -
>
>You hereby agree that your use of the camera's UV and IR light energy
>sensitive capabilities, as enabled by Fujifilm's camera firmware, will
>be purely to accomplish a legitimate business purpose in the medical,
>forensic, fire investigative, law enforcement, scientific, systems
>integrators, museum/antiquity, aerial photographic survey, astronomy,
>professional nature and fine art photography, photographic education
>and local and federal government markets. You further agree not to use
>the camera's hardware and firmware enabled capabilities to engage in
>unethical photographic conduct involving the violation of personal
>privacy.

http://www.xraywatcher.com/introavs.htm

http://gals.xrayhunter.com/xray-see-through/index.php

etc...